The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak to the hardware issue but I can easily attest to Bill Mac's knowledge. He may be new HERE but he has a strong presence at AVS and SH.tv, where he's among the few (like FredBlue), who carries the multi-channel torch. Of the latter place, he also has a frustratingly faster trigger finger than I do when some deals arise!

From my standpoint I'd put you both on reasonably similar planes (well above me) and would hope all could just move along, agreeing to disagree. Among my favorite things about this board is it's relative lack of drama. I'm glad to see Bill Mac here, even if it's weird not seeing the SACD avatar beside his handle. A great addition to the community.

@Bill, elsewhere you mentioned you were going to A/B the two quad mixes. I hope you post your observations here, too.
IronWaffle,

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it :)! Certainly not on the level of FredBlue but will make the effort to keep learning and listening. I'll try to not be so quick with the "buying" trigger finger ;).

I would like to offer Quadzilla an apology for my "BS" comment and admit I should have been more diplomatic with my response. I went back and edited a few of my previous posts. Maybe not in this thread but I would seriously like to know in all honesty why a universal player makes a bad SACD player.

In post #149 I posted my thoughts (copied from AVS) on the comparison I did between The Best of the Doors Blu-ray and SACD. Thanks again :)!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...)-coming-soon!&p=345679&viewfull=1#post345679

Excellent! Do you have the AF SACD version? I'd be curious as to your thoughts between the Bly-ray and SACD versions.

Yes I do. It's loaded in an SACD changer hooked up to the quad system. When time permits I will bring it in here for some quick A-B on the Oppo 93 player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deleted some posts above. Anyone who has an issue with that can move on.

Thanks

Could the difference be due to the conversion to DSD for the SACD??? :couch

Doing an Analog to DSD transfer vs. an Analog to PCM transfer involves different converters, etc.
Not surprising that there would be sonic differences.

Yes I do. It's loaded in an SACD changer hooked up to the quad system. When time permits I will bring it in here for some quick A-B on the Oppo 93 player.
I look forward to your thoughts between the Blu-ray and the SACD.
Doing an Analog to DSD transfer vs. an Analog to PCM transfer involves different converters, etc.
Not surprising that there would be sonic differences.
I'm certainly not the most technically knowledgeable member here. But the sound differences between The Best of the Doors quad mix on the Blu-ray and SACD are quite substantial IMO. The biggest differences are that the Blu-ray is much more immersive and has better bass output. The SACD has the vocals more prominent (mastering choice?) and not as immersive. When listening to the Blu-ray it seems like I'm in the center of the recording. With the SACD the sound seems to be more speaker oriented and flat (for a better term). In other words with the SACD I was more aware of what each speaker is playing. With the Blu-ray not so much as the sound seems to blend better from speaker to speaker. Probably not a very "technical" description but the best I can come up with :). Could these SQ differences be attributed to transfer differences involving different converters?

I finally got to listen to the BD, and I agree with everyone else that it sounds fantastic. However, I never owned the AF SACD so can't comment on the differences.

Does anyone know the provenance of the stereo singles on the CDs? Are they new digital masters (new mixes too?), or were they released previously and then remastered for this release? The one thing I would have liked to see included is more notes on this, even if there isn't a whole lot to say. Since all new music releases I buy these days has been previously released in some other format, I like knowing where the music came from.

And I echo previous comments about a Doobies quadio set. Bring it on! Or even individual releases would be fine. But whatever it is, pleeeez don't load it up with vinyl and trinkets! Just the albums, if you don't mind...

I finally got to listen to the BD, and I agree with everyone else that it sounds fantastic. However, I never owned the AF SACD so can't comment on the differences.

Does anyone know the provenance of the stereo singles on the CDs? Are they new digital masters (new mixes too?), or were they released previously and then remastered for this release? The one thing I would have liked to see included is more notes on this, even if there isn't a whole lot to say. Since all new music releases I buy these days has been previously released in some other format, I like knowing where the music came from.

And I echo previous comments about a Doobies quadio set. Bring it on! Or even individual releases would be fine. But whatever it is, pleeeez don't load it up with vinyl and trinkets! Just the albums, if you don't mind...

General agreement is the only thing the doors could have done better is put the singles on the blu ray as well. All single mixes are new genuine original mixes and many are first time to CD, including Who Scared You which was the wrong version on Wired science CD

I'm listening to the BDA again now, and I couldn't be more pleased. Wow, one of my top 5 bands, with an amazing Quad mix like this? Speachless......
Yeah, it would have been better to have the 2 CD worth of material presented on the BDA in 96/24........sigh....

General agreement is the only thing the doors could have done better is put the singles on the blu ray as well. All single mixes are new genuine original mixes and many are first time to CD, including Who Scared You which was the wrong version on Wired science CD

Foraging Rhino addressed this issue in post #51 on this thread regarding Rhino's decision of NOT including the 40 'singles' on the BD~A.

Foraging Rhino addressed this issue in post #51 on this thread regarding Rhino's decision of NOT including the 40 'singles' on the BD~A.

My guess is he was talking about including HiRes versions of the singles on the BD included with the CD’s. We would of gladly taken those extra tracks on the BD and skipped the CD’s but it doesn’t look like that’s what they saw the market at. They already offer these same tracks in HiRes on download sites like HDTracks, etc.

My guess is he was talking about including HiRes versions of the singles on the BD included with the CD’s. We would of gladly taken those extra tracks on the BD and skipped the CD’s but it doesn’t look like that’s what they saw the market at. They already offer these same tracks in HiRes on download sites like HDTracks, etc.

I'm personally thankful for the CDs, but maybe I'm the exception around here. I don't like having to buy a separate CD of albums I want to hear in the car. Again, I might be the exception, but CD is my preferred format in my car.

The original analog single masters were located and then transferred to 24/192 files and sent to Bruce Botnick. I don't believe they have been touched since their release back in the day. Probably why they sound so good!

A few were not in the Warner vault so Bruce re-created them. Which ones you ask? Love me two times / Moonlight Drive and the Adagio b-side from An American Prayer. Original 7" singles were used to compare as a few had multiple versions on the tape with no clear indication of the final master.

Glad to see the set being received so well. It was in the works for quite a while.

I look forward to your thoughts between the Blu-ray and the SACD.

I'm certainly not the most technically knowledgeable member here. But the sound differences between The Best of the Doors quad mix on the Blu-ray and SACD are quite substantial IMO. The biggest differences are that the Blu-ray is much more immersive and has better bass output. The SACD has the vocals more prominent (mastering choice?) and not as immersive. When listening to the Blu-ray it seems like I'm in the center of the recording. With the SACD the sound seems to be more speaker oriented and flat (for a better term). In other words with the SACD I was more aware of what each speaker is playing. With the Blu-ray not so much as the sound seems to blend better from speaker to speaker. Probably not a very "technical" description but the best I can come up with :). Could these SQ differences be attributed to transfer differences involving different converters?

I agree completely with your assessment.

Glad to see the set being received so well. It was in the works for quite a while.

It's a great release, and even though I would have been perfectly content with just the Audio Fidelity SACD release of the "Best of the Doors" Quadraphonic mix, I think the Blu-Ray is now the definitive release of the Quadraphonic mix.
I hope it sells well enough to justify more Quadio releases, like a Doobie Brothers Quadio box set or a Quadio release of "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper.

:)

Back