The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I hadn't heard at least 1/2 the songs on the CDs. I'll definitely have to give multiple listens. It's a lot to take in.
I swear sometimes it isn't Jim singing. Maybe he didn't show up for some B-side sessions? :confused:

Summary: Best of the Doors 1973 quad mix via Blu Ray 2017.
Once I found switcher boxes (input shy by one) I was able to return a Panasonic BD player to this system. The Marantz 4140 / Advent Legacy II floor standing loudspeakers delivered a mesmerizing playback for my best experience ever with this material going back to Q8 at age 14. It also confirmed for me that the 1st album quad mixes are much more satisfying than the later 3.1 mixes in Perceptions. Yes, I should play the SACD for comparison but frankly this is such a thrill, I'm not in a hurry. Eventually, yes. The experience of hearing this material across Legacy speakers and amplification as was intended, happens to be really pleasing. This disc will sound terrific on many systems, great job Rhino!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I liked the SACD but it sounded a bit thin and kind of lifeless especially after a few listens. Mark me down with a vote for the BD being the definitive, go-to listen for me. It just has more life and depth to it. My SACD plays DSD through my receiver but it just has no "ooomph". I popped the BD in and instantly I could hear a huge difference. Mastering difference - maybe. Doesn't matter now. i have the version I will go to when I want to hear thisalbum. It even sounds great on the DTS cd I made for the car.

Since Foraging Rhino visits here from time to time I ask that the program continues. I will buy it all. Especially with quality this high - and a price like I got this set for - it is an absolute no-brainer.

Thanks!!!

I liked the SACD but it sounded a bit thin and kind of lifeless especially after a few listens. Mark me down with a vote for the BD being the definitive, go-to listen for me. It just has more life and depth to it. My SACD plays DSD through my receiver but it just has no "ooomph". I popped the BD in and instantly I could hear a huge difference. Mastering difference - maybe. Doesn't matter now. i have the version I will go to when I want to hear thisalbum. It even sounds great on the DTS cd I made for the car.

Since Foraging Rhino visits here from time to time I ask that the program continues. I will buy it all. Especially with quality this high - and a price like I got this set for - it is an absolute no-brainer.

Thanks!!!

It should sound closer to the original Quad LP as the master used for the BD was the original Elektra 4 channel production tape prepared by Bruce Botnick & Paul Rothchild back in 1973. The Audio Fidelity SACD was sourced from the flat master from the Doors vault.
That should account for the different EQ between the SACD & BluRay. Or at least, some of it.

I like/love the BD (but I also like the SACD) but I was listening to the CD Disc 1 in my car today and I swear I've heard at least half of these if not more on

https://www.amazon.com/Doors-Box-Set-DOORS/dp/B000002HRA

which I highly recommend btw

just saying that extracting new Doors stuff from the label is like pulling teeth

It's been how many years and you're still milking it?

The Man is Dead, let it go, get a new job, move on, that's what everyone else does

pretty sure Jim wasn't all about job security like his label was, just sayin'

plumbers don't come back to a house 20 years later (hell, 50 years later (un-heard of) ) and say "How's your toilet working? Good, OK, give me royalties"

Why should Labels?

a little diddy Perry (Farrell) likes to call....

[video=youtube;9ATikeWf8Ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATikeWf8Ss[/video]

Damn, I hadn't heard at least 1/2 the songs on the CDs. I'll definitely have to give multiple listens. It's a lot to take in.
I swear sometimes it isn't Jim singing. Maybe he didn't show up for some B-side sessions? :confused:

The Doors did release two or three albums without Jim so perhaps those tracks are from those sessions. I recently ordered this set but haven't got it yet.
I will then have the Doors "Best of" on Blu-ray, SACD, Q4 and CD-4!

The remaining Doors released two albums after Jim was gone. Other Voices (1971) and Full Circle (1972). These have appeared only on import CDs separately or together in recent years. It is common knowledge that Ray would sing on nights Jim was too high or drunk. He did sing lead on You Need Meat (b side included) and Close To You Baby (Absolutely Live) so it was not much of a stretch to think they would continue as a unit. Some of it was good however without the counterpoint of Jim's angle it was far less engaging IMHO.

The remaining Doors released two albums after Jim was gone. Other Voices (1971) and Full Circle (1972). These have appeared only on import CDs separately or together in recent years. It is common knowledge that Ray would sing on nights Jim was too high or drunk. He did sing lead on You Need Meat (b side included) and Close To You Baby (Absolutely Live) so it was not much of a stretch to think they would continue as a unit. Some of it was good however without the counterpoint of Jim's angle it was far less engaging IMHO.

You are forgetting American prayer which was Jims Poetry set to Doors music and IMHO very well done given that it was pre pro-tools

You are forgetting American prayer which was Jims Poetry set to Doors music and IMHO very well done given that it was pre pro-tools

Perhaps, I tend to view that as a separate thing that came later after the fact. The original question here was who sang vocals at the time.

My latest two releases - The Singles and 77 Days at Sea (Andy Jackson) should arrive today by courier but Amazon UK tracking says the package is damaged and I should contact them once it arrives to arrange a replacement :(. I hope they are at least playable as I'm desperate to hear both.

Did anyone notice that the Blu-ray is only 48Khz 24 bit? I'm not saying that I can hear up to (or close to) 24Khz but usually Hi-rez audio is 96-24, or better. It would of been nice if the CD contents were also on the Blu-ray but I know that I'm just nit picking. I also have the SACD and forget what I voted but I would be surprised if it wasn't a ten.
I suppose that with only the quad "Best Of" mix on the Blu-ray that people who bought it just for "the Singles CD" might then notice the Blu-ray and pop it into the player in their home theatre system, and be blown away by the quad mix, sparking a new interest in surround music. Wishful thinking?

Did anyone notice that the Blu-ray is only 48Khz 24 bit? I'm not saying that I can hear up to (or close to) 24Khz but usually Hi-rez audio is 96-24, or better. It would of been nice if the CD contents were also on the Blu-ray but I know that I'm just nit picking. I also have the SACD and forget what I voted but I would be surprised if it wasn't a ten.
I suppose that with only the quad "Best Of" mix on the Blu-ray that people who bought it just for "the Singles CD" might then notice the Blu-ray and pop it into the player in their home theatre system, and be blown away by the quad mix, sparking a new interest in surround music. Wishful thinking?

the Blu-Ray is 192/24

Hey man - I have the blu-ray and it is most definitely 192/24. At least when I play it, that's what it says...

Back