What's the Latest DSD Download in Your Collection - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new 2-LP set by Bill Evans "Some Other Time (The Lost Session from The Black Forest)" in DSD 128 Stereo. Not available on SACD.
Some very fine Jazz listening here !

Bill Evans - 2XHDRE1044.jpg

You Tube mini-documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Di1Y_znmY

Available at Native DSD for $23.55 (DSD 64) or $27.32 (DSD 128 and DSD 64 packaged together)
https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2...r-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

Shostakovich & Barber - the long-awaited new release by Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra in Stereo & Multichannel DSD 256.
From Reference Recordings and their Fresh! series of recordings.

Shostakovich and Barber - FR724 - 450.jpg

"Reference Recordings proudly presents Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 5 and Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings in definitive interpretations from Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, in superb Stereo & Multichannel DSD (up to DSD256) and DXD sonics at the Native DSD Music store. This release is the seventh in the highly acclaimed and Recording Academy / GRAMMYs winning Pittsburgh Live! series of releases.

The Stereo and Multichannel DSD256 and DSD128 plus DXD files are taken from the original DXD Edited Master of this DSD256 recorded project and are EXCLUSIVE to NativeDSD. You will not find these editions of this album anywhere else!

Adrian Quanjer from HRAudio.Net says "The inevitable question of ‘do we really need another Shostakovich 5’ must be answered with a clear and unequivocal YES. In high resolution alone the total count stands at 29. However, the sound quality of many of them are not all that high (to say the least), while some are too expensive for most and, regrettably, a number do not belong to the top echelon. That leaves us with only a hand full of competitors, according to taste and leaning. As for this present release one might say that the producers have been sitting on a treasure trove for much too long. Recorded in the autumn of 2013 it is only now, almost four years later that - for reasons we may never know - this further example of the extraordinary marriage between Honeck and the Pittsburghers comes to light.

With such an exemplarily recorded Fifth, Manfred Honeck, the PSO and Reference Recording provide us with an obvious contender for the top of our wish list. Can’t think of any better introduction to their forthcoming European tour, starting at the end of August 2017.

Performance and Multichannel DSD Sonics: 5 out of 5 Stars."

https://referencerecordings.natived...ovich-symphony-no-5-barber-adagio-for-strings
https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdM...1828.497854580272955/1496791470379256/?type=3

I am on a new audio adventure. Just downloaded DSD 128 stereo. Sonny Boy Williamson, The Sky is Crying, only available at this time via DSD. I have listened to Sonny Boy for years, a harp player. Looks like the download is going to take between 10-15 mins. Then I have to snag it via JRiver and play, bit of a process but I am learning. I purchased from NativeDSD as I wanted to start an account there, I received a one time 15% discount as a new member. Now that they have let a rocker in there in trouble. I believe NativeDSD is a solid company and I look forward to supporting them. This disc is available on all the sites HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, etc, but I wanted to support NativeDSD.
HX842840112013_185.jpg

I purchased 3 DSD downloads this weekend from NativeDSD.
The Otis Spann and Sonny Boy Williamson both recorded in Denmark. All stereo DSD 128.
I purchased at the higher rate Stereo 256 even though my DAC only goes up to 128, but thinking of the future. One cool thing about NativeDSD is if you purchase the highest rate available you get all the lower rates included.
2XHDST1071.jpg2XHDST1083.jpg

Looking to purchase 1 or 2 DSD stereo downloads of Elvis. Your opinion ?

Elvis Stereo '57 is the best one to get.
An Analog to DSD transfer. Highly recommended.

Nearly lost to history, Elvis 2-track masters saved by chance.

Mastered at Sterling Sound by Ryan Smith from the original analog master tapes.

"Subtitled 'The Essential Elvis Volume 2,' and dating from 1989, this set contains 20 tracks that range from gospel to rock 'n' roll, astonishing stereo takes that were supposed to have been erased or discarded. As luck would have it, they were saved. The resultant versions of what is otherwise absurdly familiar material will leave you breathless (provided you're an Elvis fan — and shame on you if you're not). Thanks to a studio chat, this is glimpse of the past you never expected to share: true stereo, as good as it gets, from a time when mono still ruled. The mono bonus tracks are dandy, too." — Sound Quality: 92% - Ken Kessler, Hi Fi News, November 2013

The discovery of these 2-track masters comprising Stereo ‘57 - The Essential Elvis Volume 2, is nothing short of a miracle, and this recording sounds so astonishing, your jaw will hit the floor!

The 2-tracks from which this recording was made could not have sounded better, and there was no one more careful, more experienced and technically skilled to record these historic sessions than Nogar, says Acoustic Sounds' founder and CEO Chad Kassem.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...ereo_57_Essential_Elvis_Volume_2-DSD_Download

When do they make the decision to sell the DSD download or not for the two upcoming Hendrix discs. I would prefer the DSD download over the SACD.

Great, will order Elvis 57 when I get home.

some of the chatter between songs is simply priceless. In my opinion, it totally makes you feel like a fly on the wall while Elvis is recording. And, the clarity and fidelity of many of the songs is just striking.

some of the chatter between songs is simply priceless. In my opinion, it totally makes you feel like a fly on the wall while Elvis is recording. And, the clarity and fidelity of many of the songs is just striking.

I knew that Elvis 57 was an excellent recording...AP has done a great job with the Living Stereo series...I had to choose between 57 and Elvis 24 Karat...both in that series...when I looked at the songlist...24 Karat was just too good to pass up...it's loaded with hits...and the quality is excellent...I might pick up 57 later...but if anybody is interested...24 Karat should also be on your radar....here

I purchased these today including the 17th Blues Masters which was my only trip to Salina Kansas. I have the SACD's of Skynyrd but I am getting into the digital world, so much easier, and these single rate DSD's are just as good or better than the SACD's of at least these 3 Skynyrd's.

CAPP_057_SA__85858__03052013011720-980.jpgXAPP413D64__98002__06122014123549-12.jpgXAPP2040D64__94710__10222013011815-704.jpgXAPP2137D64__98001__06122014123302-3708.jpgXUNI34894D64__96036__02112014035411-5752.jpgXBMC2014FULLD64__103763__02192015035404-2034.jpg

When do they make the decision to sell the DSD download or not for the two upcoming Hendrix discs. I would prefer the DSD download over the SACD.

When there is an SACD release, they generally hold the DSD Download until later on when the sales of the SACD disc slows.
So I wouldn't expect a DSD Download of the Jimi Hendrix SACDs anytime soon.

I purchased these today including the 17th Blues Masters which was my only trip to Salina Kansas. I have the SACD's of Skynyrd but I am getting into the digital world, so much easier, and these single rate DSD's are just as good or better than the SACD's of at least these 3 Skynyrd's.

View attachment 31848View attachment 31849View attachment 31850View attachment 31851View attachment 31852View attachment 31853

The Blues Masters Surround DSD Downloads are excellent.
And priced to encourage fans to buy the whole set in Stereo and Surround DSD!

A pair of Rock DSD Downloads by Wheatus. The Lightning and The Jupiter.
(Stereo DSD Exclusives, Not Available on SACD).

Recorded on the Sonoma DSD Workstation by the band's lead singer.
Wheatus EPs in DSD.jpg

At NativeDSD we're always on the lookout for well-recorded music in DSD to bring to our listeners. We're delighted to bring you The Jupiter and The Lightning - two EPs (Extended Play mini-albums) of Rock Music in DSD from Wheatus and their Montauk Mantis Records label.

Wheatus is an American rock band from Northport, New York, formed in 1995. They are known for their single "Teenage Dirtbag" which appeared in the movie Loser and the HBO miniseries Generation Kill and more recently in the Netflix Original series Girlboss.

In 2009, Brendan B. Brown, the band's singer, songwriter, producer, and engineer contacted Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colorado. He purchased an 8 Track Sonoma DSD System from the Super Audio Center and used it to produce two EPs (Extended Play mini-albums) by the band in Stereo DSD.

Visit the NativeDSD Music store today to pick up these two new Rock Albums by Wheatus in DSD. We hope you will enjoy listening to their music in DSD as much as they did when it was recorded!

https://montaukmantis.nativedsd.com/albums/MMR18-1-the-lightning-ep
https://montaukmantis.nativedsd.com/albums/MMR18-2-the-jupiter-ep

I just happened to stumble into watching a BBC4 programme tonight on Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue (I was looking to see when The Sky At Night started!), and I was introduced to Gershwin at a young age by my late father, and I'd forgotten how much I liked Gershwin. So I've just downloaded the multi-channel (not cheap @ £22.79)
HMU907441.jpg

Reactions: GOS
I just happened to stumble into watching a BBC4 programme tonight on Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue (I was looking to see when The Sky At Night started!), and I was introduced to Gershwin at a young age by my late father, and I'd forgotten how much I liked Gershwin. So I've just downloaded the multi-channel (not cheap @ £22.79)

That's a good one.

If you like Gershwin and Rhapsody In Blue, also check out the DSD Surround Sound edition of The Fascinating Gershwin on Pentatone.
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/ptc5186021the-fascinating-george-gershwin

Harmen Fraanje Trio, First Meeting (First Listen, 2019). $23.77 for the DSD128 MultiChannel version at NativeDSD.com. Still too expensive, even at 15% off, but I bought it because I've heard Fraanje (and his bassist Clemens van der Feen) live, with the excellent and under-appreciated clarinetist Michael Moore, and because I already have another of his albums, Sonatala (Challenge, 2003) on SACD. Haven't listened to it yet, but am looking forward to it.

JL005.jpg

Harmen Fraanje Trio, First Meeting (First Listen, 2019). $23.77 for the DSD128 MultiChannel version at NativeDSD.com. Still too expensive, even at 15% off, but I bought it because I've heard Fraanje (and his bassist Clemens van der Feen) live, with the excellent and under-appreciated clarinetist Michael Moore, and because I already have another of his albums, Sonatala (Challenge, 2003) on SACD. Haven't listened to it yet, but am looking forward to it.

There are some good Jazz DSD recordings from Just Listen.

Another one I'd recommend is The Sweetest Sound with the Jazz trio of Angelo Verploegen, Ed Verhoeff & Eric van der Westen.
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JL009-the-sweetest-sound

Back