Marillion - Brave in 5.1, Steven Wilson Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So looking forward to this, Brave is along with Marbles probably the best Marillion album for 5.1 treatment. I hope the prize will be as good as the Misplaced Childhood-set.

Looks real nice:
brave-box.jpg

:)

Yes exciting news.
Wonder who will do the next 5.1 mixes as SW only said he was doing these 2.

I don’t think he quite said it like that.
I took his comment to mean that he was not neccisarily committed to remixing more Marillion albums as of right now.
It will mostly depend on if his availability and the band’s release timeline lines up some more in the future.
I’m sure he’ll remix more of their albums if he is able to, but he certainly won’t put working with them above his own music and other remix projects (especially XTC, Gentle Giant, and Jethro Tull)

:)

Ryan, I had a reread of what SW said and you are correct, there is a chance he could do more, sure hope so.
Taken from SW remix page:

SW said,"I understand Parlophone / Warner Music Group plan to issue all 8 of the bands EMI era albums in similar form, but please note that I won't be doing 5.1 mixes for all these, alas I simply don't have the time, but I do have the tapes for Brave, and plan to do that one when I can (if you know the album I'm sure you'll agree with me that it should sound pretty epic in surround if I don't mess it up!)"

Not familiar with this album at all but I really enjoyed the Misplaced Childhood set so I'll be all over this one too, assuming it's priced like the last set and I assume it will be.

I hope Steven does more, and I'd like to see them just work with his schedule and let him do which albums he wants when he has the time and inspiration to do it. Since they don't seem to be going in any chronological order then just do the XTC thing - get 'em out as and when you have all the pieces of the puzzle.

And if they need another person to do 5.1 mixes....I nominate Mr Soord for their stuff if he has any interest, I think he could do a great job on their stuff.

Some more recent interesting Marillion news:

UK construction industry in crisis after government mistakenly bails out Marillion.

The UK Construction Industry is in terminal decline after the government incorrectly bailed out unfashionable, neo-progressive rock act Marillion.

Owing to a simple typo, money intended for the troubled construction giant Carillion, is now lining the pockets of the former chart stars, whose records generally make Then Jericho’s output seem like the eggs that were shat from a golden goose.

Meanwhile, current construction projects held by Carillion may never be completed due to former singer Fish’s considerable lack of building site experience.

However, the band’s loyal fanbase insist Fish’s recent kitchen extension, the result of a collaboration with current singer Steve Hogarth and the drummer, is the best thing they’ve done since “Kayleigh”.

Fish and co are now under pressure to meet Carillion’s existing commitments, including a state-of-the-art hospital in Liverpool, rather than banging on about some eighties’ bint who wears inappropriate footwear during a cold spell.

Carillion CEO, Simon Williams, said, “The UK requires a million new homes every single year, not some lank-haired f#$%er reminiscing about the cherry blossom in the market square.”

And Fish, himself, admitted that while he would probably spend the money on a new recording studio, the mistake had left the country’s construction fortunes in a perilous state.

“What happens to politically sensitive building projects like schools and jails?” he remarked. “What happens to loving on the floor in Belsize Park?”

He added, “To the people of Liverpool awaiting their shiny new hospital, I just wanna say I’m sorry.

“But I’m too scared to pick up the phone.”

;);););););)

Not familiar with this album at all but I really enjoyed the Misplaced Childhood set so I'll be all over this one too, assuming it's priced like the last set and I assume it will be.

It is far more complex than Misplaced Childhood. A polar opposite from the sparse effects and instrumentation of Misplaced. Lots of effects placed subtly into the mix. Perhaps an even more coherent concept album albeit a rather dark story. I love Misplaced but am looking forward to this one a million times more.

If SW is up to it and the band gives him leeway, this could be epic. Right upfront, Steve has lots to work with. The album starts off with a background effect of waves, then a girls whisper something that I could never make out. Then a low ominous rumble starts rolling in. I get the feeling of standing in the dark fog at the foot of a bridge.

My only knock on this album is that the low end stuff on this album's mix kind of sits heavy upfront in the mix. To me, it's too strong against all the subtle stuff going on behind it. I get the same feeling with some U2 stuff like With or Without You.

The singer/lyricist (Fish) from the Misplaced Childhood era had moved on by this time but the singer who took over has a much more polished voice. No knock on Fish. Great stuff.

Can't wait

I read that the vinyl version of this album had two different endings... I wonder if we'll get them both in surround? (Steven is usually pretty good about mixing "bonus" material in surround, so...)

I read that the vinyl version of this album had two different endings... I wonder if we'll get them both in surround? (Steven is usually pretty good about mixing "bonus" material in surround, so...)

The album had a double groove. One groove played a song called “The Great Escape” and a song called “Made Again” that provide a more positive ending to the album’s storyline. The other groove played a different version of the “Great Escape” and then a prolonged period of water against the dock. A more grim ending to the story.

£30 for this set, 4CD/Blu-ray that is a very good price *cough* Roxy Music *cough*

Interestingly enough, this time, Steven Wilson has remixed the album in both 5.1 surround AND stereo.
http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/brave2018cd.htm

Full track listing as follows:

DISC 1 (2018 STEVEN WILSON REMIX)
BRIDGE
LIVING WITH THE BIG LIE
RUNAWAY
GOODBYE TO ALL THAT
HARD AS LOVE
THE HOLLOW MAN
ALONE AGAIN IN THE LAP OF LUXURY
PAPER LIES
BRAVE
THE GREAT ESCAPE
MADE AGAIN

DISC 2 DAVE MEEGAN ORIGINAL ALBUM MIX
(all tracks as per disc one)

DISC 3 (LIVE AT LA CIGALE (29 APRIL 1994) – 2018 MICHAEL HUNTER REMIX)
RIVER
BRIDGE
LIVING WITH THE BIG LIE
RUNAWAY
GOODBYE TO ALL THAT
WAVE
MAD
THE OPIUM DEN
THE SLIDE
STANDING IN THE SWING
HARD AS LOVE
THE HOLLOW MAN
ALONE AGAIN IN THE LAP OF LUXURY
NOW WASH YOUR HANDS
PAPER LIES
BRAVE
THE GREAT ESCAPE
MADE AGAIN

DISC 4 (LIVE AT LA CIGALE (29 APRIL 1994) – 2018 MICHAEL HUNTER REMIX
COVER MY EYES (PAIN AND HEAVEN)
SLAINTE MHATH
NO ONE CAN
SYMPATHY
EASTER
GARDEN PARTY
WAITING TO HAPPEN
HOOKS IN YOU
THE SPACE

BLU-RAY DISC
96/24 LCPM BRAVE STEREO REMIX
96/24 LCPM MASTER AUDIO 5.1 REMIX
96/24 DTS HD MASTER AUDIO 5.1 MIX
DOCUMENTARY – IT ALL BEGAN WITH THE BRIGHT LIGHT
THE GREAT ESCAPE (PROMO VIDEO)
THE HOLLOW MAN (PROMO VIDEO)
ALONE AGAIN IN THE LAP OF LUXURY (PROMO VIDEO)
THE GREAT ESCAPE (SPIRAL REMAKE)

The missed putting on the B-sides from the album’s singles:
"The Great Escape" (orchestral version)
"Marouatte Jam”
"The Hollow Man" (Acoustic)
"Winter Trees”
Some live tracks & and an instrumental of “Hard as Love”.

It isn’t a big loss, I remember feeling back then that this was the first time the band did not have awesome B-sides. With the exception of “The Great Escape” (orchestral version), that is an awesome track. Still, they could have added them in somehow.

I would have loved to hear “The Great Escape” (orchestral version) in surround.

Back