HiRez Poll Yes - RELAYER [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - RELAYER

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
I love the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of Relayer by Yes. I remember when the original LP came out in 1974 and although it's a departure from their earlier albums (especially on "The Gates Of Delirium" & "Sound Chaser"), it's always been one of favorite records by Yes. And once again, the 5.1 mix opens up the sound quality on Relayer (I don't even miss the "battle sound effects" on this version of "TGOD"). Also with all the extras (the original mix, the instrumental mix, the demos and the live tracks), this is my favorite release of this classic album.

;)

Reactions: WBP
When I put this Blu-ray in, go to audio setup, and select "lpcm 5.1 surround" , it starts playing in surround, but the screen shows "lpcm stereo" underlined. If I move down and select "lpcm surround", the sound doesn't change. So, it seems like there's just a little authoring bug going on. Anyone else noticed that? Just curious.

Tried 'To Be Over' again...

Nope. Ugh.

SW added digital 'verb to everything except the bass. It sounds bad and *definitely* not capturing the magic balance of the original mix. Just wrong.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes? (He's good at Crimson remixes.)

Nope. Ugh.

SW added digital 'verb to everything except the bass. It sounds bad and *definitely* not capturing the magic balance of the original mix. Just wrong.

Is it maybe time to say that Steve Wilson really was not the right guy for Yes remixes? (He's good at Crimson remixes.)

If anyone can pull it off it’s him I’m sure - I am however not sure if an album like CTTE suits for surround, with its thick sound wall. Steve Hoffman said it was a tough one to remaster even in stereo (yes I know the difference in remix/remastering, his remaster is the best sounding CTTE I’ve heard in stereo). But all the other Yes remixes are fine to me, I hold The Yes Album as one of his best remixes overall.

Nope. Ugh.

I think it sounds perfect and I doubt many people around the globe want him to stop mixing Yes in surround. Sorry you don't like it. It has the original mix too so you don't have to sell it.

If anyone can pull it off it’s him I’m sure - I am however not sure if an album like CTTE suits for surround, with its thick sound wall. Steve Hoffman said it was a tough one to remaster even in stereo (yes I know the difference in remix/remastering, his remaster is the best sounding CTTE I’ve heard in stereo). But all the other Yes remixes are fine to me, I hold The Yes Album as one of his best remixes overall.

Your post is confusing. Is it in the correct thread? CTTE sounds excellent...

I was addressing ssullys opinion on SW Yes’ remixes in general, and used CTTE as an example where a remix can be tricky because of the nature of the recording. My personal opinion of course.

Last edited:
I'll keep this short as I have little to add to what's already been said in this thread. For me this is a solid 8. Musically, I love it, but it's not an easy one to grasp. I don't like it as much as CTE, but prefer it to TYA. To Be Over is a beautiful closer, and a reference song and mix. This is from beginning to end, a fun, engaging surround mix. I have no issues with "harshness" on my setup, and I can rock it LOUD without succumbing to ear fatigue. With that said, I was not familiar with previous versions of this album prior to the surround mix.

So yeah, an 8. But caveat emptor; the music here is often times... adventurous.

Last edited:
Always loved Relayer - its a very ambitious album musically but they pull it off with style , they seem inspired by Moraz and its shame this line up only recorded one album. The mix is great for what is a very dense recording - its a joy to listen to

When I put this Blu-ray in, go to audio setup, and select "lpcm 5.1 surround" , it starts playing in surround, but the screen shows "lpcm stereo" underlined. If I move down and select "lpcm surround", the sound doesn't change. So, it seems like there's just a little authoring bug going on. Anyone else noticed that? Just curious.

I noticed the same things, I used the coloured buttons on the remote to choose the version I wanted

Okay, so this is my last review of the Steven Wilson Yes surround sound mixes as he hasn't done anymore. I went with 9, as I did with the rest of them except for Tales from Topographic Oceans because I think he did wonders with that album, so I gave it a 10. Yes, the mix for Relayer is a tad harsh, but so is the original LP. I've always felt this to be the most difficult record of the classic '71 - '74 years for the band. Even less listener-friendly than Tales. But it's a fan favorite so there's that. It's too bad Wilson didn't continue the series through at least Going for the One, but I guess we should be thankful for what we've got. Especially since these Yes blu releases are cheaper than the mostly-out-print Tull DVDs, or the big Crimson boxes.

and all this additional material: 😩

Additional Material:
1 SOON (single edit)
2 SOUND CHASER (single edit)
3 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM (Studio run through)

Blu-ray Exclusive: LPCM Stereo 24/96
1 SOUND CHASER – Live from Cobo Hall 1976
2 SOUND CHASER – demo version

Archived Master: LPCM Stereo 24/96
1 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM
2 SOUND CHASER
3 TO BE OVER

2014 Stereo Instrumental Mixes: LPCM Stereo 24/96
1 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM
2 SOUND CHASER
3 TO BE OVER

Needle-drop 1: A1/B1 UK vinyl transfer LPCM Stereo 24/96
1 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM
2 SOUND CHASER
3 TO BE OVER

Needle-drop 2: US promo album A1/B1 US vinyl transfer LPCM Stereo 24/96
1 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM (PART I)
2 (PART II)
3 (PART III)
4 SOUND CHASER (PART I)
5 SOUND CHASER (PART II)

At first I didn't know what to make of it but I eventually learned to like Relayer after several listens.

I'm sold. Relayer is actually excellent it just takes a bit of listening time. It's not in my top 3 favourite Yes albums (Fragile, Yes Album, Close), but it's excellent now that I've taken the time to listen to it with some dedication. Love the percussion thing happening in surrounds during To Be Over. There also appears be steel guitar happening - kudos to Steve Howe, what an incredible player. All very cool. For me it's the most "prog" of the 70s Yes albums, it's like they had all the creative freedom to do whatever they wanted in a jazz-fusion sense...I changed my vote to an 8.

Last edited:
As a Yes fan, I hope to god no one new to the album is taking the SW mix (5.1 or stereo) as the one to 'get to know' Relayer by.

At least familiarize yourself with Offord's original mix and production of 'To Be Over' first.

As a Yes fan, I hope to god no one new to the album is taking the SW mix (5.1 or stereo) as the one to 'get to know' Relayer by.

At least familiarize yourself with Offord's original mix and production of 'To Be Over' first.

The original mixes are included on the disc set but not sure why the SW remix wouldn't be a fun/good experience for a new listener? I'm loving all of the SW remixes.

Back