Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam..is this the same mix as the DVD?...you voted a 3 on the poll for the DVD...and Blue Monk voted a 1...and I consider him a knowledgeable voter:yikes

i don't know for sure as i don't have the retail box or a copy of the DVD from inside that box but i imagine its the same mix in the 4 disc promo, yes :)

3 was the most i could give it in the QQ Poll "as is".. tinkering (to my taste only of course and i'm no Scheiner or Wilson just a pleb with a PC!) maybe a different story but then that would cease to be the Harry Maslin 5.1 everyone else is hearing/reviewing so score would be null and void, i think..?! :confused:

maybe someday i will return to the 6-ch stems and see if there's any more playing around can get the pigs' ear anywhere near approximating a silk purse but time and inclination currently in short supply :p

maybe with all this Bowie/STS type chat we're getting away from the topic in hand of AF MultiCh suggestions? although will they ever release anything in Surround again?
seems kinda doubtful, sadly, they put out some great stuff.. who knows maybe they will make a dramatic comeback to our scene in 2018..! :yikes

I just heard transfers of some Motown stuff and it is fabulous. I'd love to see AF issue those mixes (if they can find them).

Maybe Dutton could get on this.

you might find the 5.1 cheaper by grabbing the promo set (i picked one up on eBay a couple of years ago, much cheaper and smaller than the box and no vinyl.. hooray! :party )

img_4401.jpg

That really doesn't look like a legit release.

Where can I find this?

I wouldn't call it an upmix if multi stems were used. An upmix is from stereo.
May not be authorized, but it's a mix.

please check your PMs :)

(you're right its not an upmix, it's a 5.1 mix from stems. there's been some dispute as to its' origins, etc but people who have heard it have expressed enjoying what they heard all the same)

I just heard transfers of some Motown stuff and it is fabulous. I'd love to see AF issue those mixes (if they can find them).

Maybe Dutton could get on this.

the Motown Quads are indeed excellent candidates for AF or DV MultiCh SACDs!

personal favourites are;

1990 : Temptations,
All Directions : Temptations,
Diana & Marvin : Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye,
Greatest Hits : Supremes,
Last Time I Saw Him : Diana Ross,
Let's Get It On : Marvin Gaye,
What's Going On : Marvin Gaye

I've not heard the Jackson 5 Hits Quad so can't comment on the mix.

The various Motown Live Quads I picked up on CD-4 I found underwhelming from a surround pov., i never play them whereas I play a number of the above studio Motown Quads often.

The Supremes Hits Quad may be a bit too revisionist/removed from the familiar hit mixes for some (unlike the other Motown Quads I've heard which I found to be pretty faithful to the Stereo, albeit all with some different elements and edits from their Stereo counterparts).. still i enjoy The Supremes Hits Quad all the same, its a lot of fun!

Back