Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my unsigned amazon Canada purchase has shipped and I got money back,

Reason for refund: Pre-order price protection

Here's a detailed breakdown of your refund:

Item Refund: GBP0.15 :banana:

But its coming via DHL so I think I'll get stung by Import Duty etc. :( :howl

Ok...just an update on that listing...did it sell?...check this out

Yes I was informed that I saved $.25 on this order due to pre-order price guarantee. I actually saved about $70 as compared to the going rate for this item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I was informed that I saved $.25 on this order due to pre-order price guarantee. I actually saved about $70 as compared to the going rate for this item.

Same here Timbre, Snood got me shipping notice toooooooooday and .25cents in me pocket :banana:

Same here Timbre, Snood got me shipping notice toooooooooday and .25cents in me pocket :banana:

Snood can put those two bits towards the next Roxy Music 5.1 remaster which by my calculations should be out around 2022 and factoring in inflation should set Snood back 250 bucks.......or 2000 BITS :yikes

Snood can put those two bits towards the next Roxy Music 5.1 remaster which by my calculations should be out around 2022 and factoring in inflation should set Snood back 250 bucks.......or 2000 BITS :yikes

Doubtful that future Roxy Music Surround releases will be anything like this one. If we get a deluxe For Your Pleasure box similar to this it would be very nice as the design and models (along with the band of course) were gorgeous and plentiful. The future is unknown. If Bob Clearmountain actually has (latter day album) mixes stashed away it gets infinitely easier. Nothing guaranteed even then.

This one was planned to launch years ago. Then plans changed more than once on release timing, format and configuration. It sure seems like somebody close to it was not satisfied with the existing plans, took over and pumped it up. In some ways this was positive (book) but also negative(audio downgrade) where it mattered most. This same person calling the shots was persuaded that the older stereo tracks were a better choice than SW’s newly created stereo mixes. Trust in old friends perhaps, didn’t like the new mixes (!) or something along those lines.

If we get any further Roxy Music Surround releases, I suspect the lessons learned from this one should inform the creative process. Surely the other albums fall into place behind the historic first release? I think so.
I’m not hashing out which album is best, that’s for another day. I’m just reiterating it’s historical value as the first.

Last edited:
Doubtful that future Roxy Music Surround releases will be anything like this one. If we get a deluxe For Your Pleasure box similar to this it would be very nice as the design and models (along with the band of course) were gorgeous and plentiful. The future is unknown. If Bob Clearmountain actually has (latter day album) mixes stashed away it gets infinitely easier. Nothing guaranteed even then.

This one was planned to launch years ago. Then plans changed more than once on release timing, format and configuration. It sure seems like somebody close to it was not satisfied with the existing plans, took over and pumped it up. In some ways this was positive (book) but also negative(audio downgrade) where it mattered most. This same person calling the shots was persuaded that the older stereo tracks were a better choice than SW’s newly created stereo mixes. Trust in old friends perhaps, didn’t like the new mixes (!) or something along those lines.

If we get any further Roxy Music Surround releases, I suspect the lessons learned from this one should inform the creative process. Surely the other albums fall into place behind the historic first release? I think so.
I’m not hashing out which album is best, that’s for another day. I’m just reiterating it’s historical value as the first.

It's such a shame that such a prominent band had such a long history in getting this boxset to fruition and I did advise those who wanted an alternative to purchase the Japanese limited edition SHM~SACD ROXY MUSIC remasters [now being sold as PROXY items from CDJapan which add a ridiculous premium]. And to be perfectly honest, I could NOT imagine Avalon which really does sound spectacular as a LOSSLESS multichannel SACD to be downgraded to a LOSSY DTS 5.1.

Sounds like way too many hands in this pot and as I would've gladly purchased a stand alone BD~A of this album.....that doesn't REMOTELY seem to be the case.

It's such a shame that such a prominent band had such a long history in getting this boxset to fruition and I did advise those who wanted an alternative to purchase the Japanese limited edition SHM~SACD remasters [now being sold as PROXY items from CDJapan which add a ridiculous premium]. And to be perfectly honest, I could NOT imagine Avalon which really does sound spectacular as a LOSSLESS multichannel SACD to be downgraded to a LOSSY DTS 5.1.

Sounds like way too many hands in this pot and as I would've gladly purchased a stand alone BD~A of this album.....that doesn't REMOTELY seem to be the case.

If the box had been delivered on time, they could have honored the original configuration, DVD-Audio. They could all be issued as DTS 9624; very possible if we get anymore.

Are those SHM~SACDs for real or 16/44 shams like the UK albums? Jobson told me (2015) that nothing released was ever above 16/44 until his future box set corrected this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting that the CD of the original album is still flagged as HDCD (the other discs are standard CDs) - must be a left-over from the previous mastering.

I received my box from importcds at the $66 price and was able to cancel the amazon.ca order the day before it shipped. After all these years of waiting, I have to wait some more as I’m in the middle of moving and my gear is packed up. One day I will actually get to hear this!

I've just had a phone call from DHL, got stung £27 for import tax & handling fees :mad:, so it'll have cost me £112 :(, but going by people's comments it'll be worth it! :banana::music

No e-mail from amazon.ca yet, but it looks like they don't add UK tax as amazon.com in the US often does. So I now expect to pay 20% VAT on £85 (£70+£15 P&P) = £17 + around £12.50 tax gathering fee to the courier :mad:, so I reckon that will be £114.50, but still £15.49 cheaper than amazon.co.uk! We have to pay VAT on the total invoice cost so on P&P and any insurance (and if it is above £135 there is additional duty starting at 2.5% which you also pay VAT on, so tax on tax:yikes)

If the box had been delivered on time, they could have honored the original configuration, DVD-Audio. They could all be issued as DTS 9624; very possible if we get anymore.

Are those SHM~SACDs for real or 16/44 shams like the UK albums? Jobson told me (2015) that nothing released was ever above 16/44 until his future box set corrected this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Universal Japanese SHM~SACDs were DSD mastered from the original UK analogue masters http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9668?s_ssid=e32c5f5a82e888a921

I've just had a phone call from DHL, got stung £27 for import tax & handling fees :mad:, so it'll have cost me £112 :(, but going by people's comments it'll be worth it! :banana::music

Fear not Duncan the set is top shelf stuff and the SW mix is fantastic you will not be disappointed :banana:

Fine but Where does it list the resolution?
There is only one resolution for DSD on SACD: 1-bit/2.8224MHz, also known as single-rate (1x) or 64fs (64 times full-scale as in 44.1kHz). It is possible that the masters were captured at a higher DSD resolution, but there are no lower DSD resolutions.

Back