Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague Blu-ray Atmos November 3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salsdali

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hans-Zimmer-Live-in-Prague-Blu-ray/188217/

https://www.amazon.com/Hans-Zimmer-Live-in-Prague-Blu-ray/dp/B0757G5PXW

Blu-ray Track Listing
1. Medley: Driving (Driving Miss Daisy) / Discombobulate (Sherlock Holmes) / Zoosters Breakout (Madagascar)
2. Medley: Crimson Tide / 160 BPM (Angels And Demons)
3. Gladiator Medley: The Wheat / The Battle / Elysium / Now We Are Free 4. Chevaliers De Sangreal (The Da Vinci Code)
5. The Lion King Medley: Circle Of Life (Prelude) / King Of Pride Rock (reprise)
6. Pirates Of The Caribbean Medley: Captain Jack Sparrow / One Day / Up Is Down / He's A Pirate
7. You're So Cool (True Romance)
8. Rain Man: Main Theme
9. What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World (Man Of Steel)
10. Journey To The Line (The Thin Red Line)
11. The Electro Suite (themes from The Amazing Spider-Man 2)
12. The Dark Knight Trilogy Medley: Why So Serious? / Like A Dog Chasing Cars / Why Do We Fall? / Introduce A Little Anarchy / The Fire Rises
13. Aurora
14. Interstellar Medley: Day One / Cornfield Chase / No Time For Caution / Stay
15. Inception Medley: Half Remembered Dream / Dream Is Collapsing / Mombasa / Time

Johnny Marr appears on the blu-ray.

Watched/listened to most of this tonight. I really enjoyed it. There is certainly some discrete content in the rears (effects, percussion, maybe a choir bit). Zimmer tells a few brief stories, but the power of the group/choir/orchestra behind him tells the tales here. Get ready for some bass.

Wow! This is absolutely amazing! Listening to the Atmos on my non-Atmos 7.1 setup and this is blowing my mind how good it sounds. Lots of discrete stuff everywhere and tons of deep bass, but it also sounds very balanced and natural. This is basically classical music for people who prefer rock music. It's also more like a rock concert with the visual stage presentation too. It actually started out pretty good but just gets better and better as it goes. It doesn't really fully kick into high gear until the last hour or so. I also just finished building two 18 inch subs and this is the most impressive sounding bass I've heard yet from a live concert performance. Very deep and powerful, but controlled and textural. Great combination of acoustic instruments and heavy electronic sounds and sampling too. Once again, wow! If you have a blu-ray player and a surround system, you really should get this ASAP!

Wow! This is absolutely amazing! Listening to the Atmos on my non-Atmos 7.1 setup and this is blowing my mind how good it sounds. Lots of discrete stuff everywhere and tons of deep bass, but it also sounds very balanced and natural. This is basically classical music for people who prefer rock music. It's also more like a rock concert with the visual stage presentation too. It actually started out pretty good but just gets better and better as it goes. It doesn't really fully kick into high gear until the last hour or so. I also just finished building two 18 inch subs and this is the most impressive sounding bass I've heard yet from a live concert performance. Very deep and powerful, but controlled and textural. Great combination of acoustic instruments and heavy electronic sounds and sampling too. Once again, wow! If you have a blu-ray player and a surround system, you really should get this ASAP!

Good to know, thanks Frogmort. Tempted by Journey to the Line.

Oooooh, this is right up my alley. I love soundtrack music, I love deep bass, I love surround, I love watching an orchestra, I love blu-ray. Ordered. Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I finally got around to buying this

OMG, Johnny Marr + Inception Theme in Atmos = OMG

It's funny, Chris Nolan just released most of his recent films in a 4k package and ALL of them only include 5.1 (no atmos or even 7.1) because Chris Nolan is an idiot, lol (the whole point of a huge 100GB triple layer 4k disc is supposed to include the highest rez sound and video possible, like atmos)

Anyway, here you can actually hear what Inception should sound like, in Atmos.

Thank you Hans for correcting Chris Nolan's mistake.

BTW, your sub and neighbors (for at least a couple hundred yards lol) are gonna hate you because this is subwoofer (and even 6" bookshelf) bass reference material.

a 10

I also just finished building two 18 inch subs and this is the most impressive sounding bass I've heard yet from a live concert performance. Very deep and powerful, but controlled and textural.

the bass is amazing. not sloppy anywhere, so controlled, yet fits so seemingly natural with the other elements.

the drummers Satnam Ramgotra + Lucy during 160 BPM (Angels And Demons) approaches a Keith Moon Epileptic Seizure (that's a good thing :) )

As a side note, one of my favorite pieces of music melding with video is the beginning of True Romance when they play You're So Cool which sounds like relaxed tropical Caribbean beach music superimposed on the visual of the coldest, worst day you can ever imagine, in the crappiest part of Detroit (which leads to Drexl Spivey). Genius.

oh, and Ann Marie Simpson plays a mean violin throughout the whole concert!

Last edited:
the bass is amazing. not sloppy anywhere, so controlled, yet fits so seemingly natural with the other elements.

Damn, listening to A Night at the Opera right now, but guess I'll have to put this on again in a few. If you like the film-like massive dynamic range and deep bass on this, check out Amin Bhatia - Interstellar Suite. It's from 30 years ago and all synthesized keyboard sounds, but the new surround mix is crazy active, dynamic, and deep.

Damn, listening to A Night at the Opera right now, but guess I'll have to put this on again in a few. If you like the film-like massive dynamic range and deep bass on this, check out Amin Bhatia - Interstellar Suite. It's from 30 years ago and all synthesized keyboard sounds, but the new surround mix is crazy active, dynamic, and deep.

Interstellar Suite was one of my very favorite surround releases of 2017 and for a DTS DVD, it really sounds like a bona fide DVD~A disc! The Hans Zimmer BD~V is likewise a treasure (y)(y)

You might think Nolan's an idiot, but experiencing Dunkirk in 5.1 was a more visceral and soul-shaking experience than any object-based surround mix I've heard to date, absolutely stunning.
From what I've read, apparently there's clipping, which is true of most of Nolan's films. I think most all of his movies have great audio overall, but he likes riding the audio up into the red, and he appears to be adamant about 5.1. As far as I know, none of his movies have ever been in object based or even 7.1.

I love all of his movies and consider him one of my favorite directors, and I think some of the stuff he does with the audio is spectacular, and he always has tons of bass, but a lot of it is still clipped. If I had my druthers, it wouldn't be, but it still sounds kick-ass. I just think Nolan actually prefers that driven to the edge of distortion sound quality.

You might think Nolan's an idiot, but experiencing Dunkirk in 5.1 was a more visceral and soul-shaking experience than any object-based surround mix I've heard to date, absolutely stunning.

If Nolan and his crew (a crew that won Oscars for Dunkirk):

Sound Mixing:
“Dunkirk,” Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker, Gary A. Rizzo (WINNER)

Sound Editing:
“Dunkirk,” Alex Gibson, Richard King (WINNER)

can make 5.1 sound that good doesn't it stand to reason that they could make 7.1 or even atmos better because isn't more discrete speakers ALWAYS better if you have the speakers and a system powerful enough to drive them?

It's like Nolan is trapped in year 2000 and thinks that the new invention of 2000 (5.1 sound) is the ultimate and can never be bettered.

Technology increases every year, if you don't think 7.1 or even atmos is an increase than why not just go back to mono since the logic is the same.

Can you really say that the 5.1 on the Inception Blu-ray sounds better than the Atmos version on the Live in Prague Blu-ray?

IMO, the bass is so much better on the Hans BD than Nolan's 5.1 BD

I bet if Hans played Dunkirk in Atmos on this disc that you would think the Atmos sounds better, or at least as good.

Keep in mind you have to do the listening at home because there is no way to compare the home environment bass reference to a spacious movie theater with humongous sub woofers everywhere.

I think Nolan thinks people still go to the movie theatre to see and hear movies when he doesn't realize it's all about the home theatre now.

Last edited:
This really needs a poll. Probably the best live concert sound quality I've ever experienced. Amazing dynamics, really deep, articulate, and powerful bass, engulfing surround imaging, especially for a live concert, and a huge variety of different styles of music. Extremely clear and dimensional, but not the least bit harsh or compressed at all.

I love a good soundtrack when watching a film, but I'm not usually the kind of guy who listens to just stand alone soundtracks very much at all, but I can't seem to stop revisiting this one. :SB:dance:SB

I had to buy this, just to experience the Atmos. Would have i known it was a Atmos mix ? Not really, but i haven't played the stereo mix, so i'm sure it will be more noticable then. Saying that, it's very good & i look forward to more Atmos concert releases. Everyone likes a bit of Zimmer !

Can you really say that the 5.1 on the Inception Blu-ray sounds better than the Atmos version on the Live in Prague Blu-ray?
IMO, the bass is so much better on the Hans BD than Nolan's 5.1 BD

Do you not understand the logical flaw with this comparison?
1) It's two different performances
2) The eq'ing on the bass has nothing to do with 7.1.4 vs. 5.1

Back