Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great interview with Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera. He seems to be the only member of the band that is really championing the 5.1 surround mix: https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...e-model’-rock-convention-gets-rich-51-upgrade

Mettler: Does the surround version of the album give you something you always wanted to hear, or something you didn’t expect? What does it mean to you?
Manzanera: To me, the 5.1 is the star of the show. Because if you’re a Roxy fan and you’ve heard these tracks for years, you now hear them in a different way. There’s so much to gain, so it’s worth it just for that.
Mettler: I totally agree — especially when you get such an adventurous song like “Ladytron” in 5.1. That’s just manna from heaven.
Manzanera: And obviously, on the original album, it had to be cut really short at the end because of the restrictions of cutting vinyl in those days. To be able to have the whole version of it now is just a delight. When Steven and I were listening back to it, we were jumping up and down, saying, “If people who have heard the original hear this, they’re just going to be thrilled with the extra added Eno stuff at the end!”
Mettler: And I’m one of them, I can tell you that! Is there one particular song in the Roxy canon you would like Steven to mix in 5.1?
Manzanera: (slight pause) Ooh. Actually, I’d say “In Every Dream Home a Heartache” [from 1973’s For Your Pleasure]. I think that would be amazing to hear in surround.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...tion-gets-rich-51-upgrade#APXi8wWm0Qkwi79z.99

:)

Can't wait to get my box set in the mail. Bought it from Amazon.Com for just over $64. What a deal. :)

I just received my copy today from AmazonUS at that fantastic price and it arrived in perfect condition [double boxed]. I will give the 5.1 SW remaster a spin tonight. BTW, the packaging is superb and I'm currently spinning the RBCD remaster which really sounds stunning.

Last edited:
I just received my copy today from AmazonUS at that fantastic price and it arrived in perfect condition [double boxed]. I will give the 5.1 SW remaster a spin tonight. BTW, the packaging is superb and I'm currently spinning the RBCD remaster which really sounds stunning.
You are going to dig the 5.1. I mean, geez....Wilson can pull out the very best in these older quirky recordings.

When did you order yours? I ordered mine on March 20 wont get mine til April 5 they say :-(

When did you order yours? I ordered mine on March 20 wont get mine til April 5 they say :-(

I ordered mine on February 28th and it arrived exactly a month later. Now the price on Amazon is back up to $132! What a roller coaster ride this release turned out to be......price wise. I do feel sorry for those who initially pre~ordered it when it was priced in the stratosphere.

BTW, AmazonUK's CURRENT price [in US dollars] is $182.79 + s/h https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music...TF8&qid=1522284593&sr=8-1&keywords=roxy+music

Last edited:
I ordered mine on February 28th and it arrived exactly a month later. Now the price on Amazon is back up to $132! What a roller coaster ride this release turned out to be......price wise. I do feel sorry for those who initially pre~ordered it when it was priced in the stratosphere.

BTW, AmazonUK's CURRENT price [in US dollars] is $182.79 + s/h https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music...TF8&qid=1522284593&sr=8-1&keywords=roxy+music
OMG!!! You can get the Japanese box set for less than that on the Amazon US site. I too hate the games that Amazon plays with their prices. Thats why I get mail daily from SuperDeluxeEditions.com

OMG!!! You can get the Japanese box set for less than that on the Amazon UK site. I too hate the games that Amazon plays with their prices. Thats why I get mail daily from SuperDeluxeEditions.com

Yeah, but the s/h charge [MOST especially, expedited] from Japan would be pretty astronomical as this set weighs a ton http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78583?s_ssid=e4368d5abc3df4b56f

But for those interested, all the RBCDs [3] in the Japanese ROXY boxset are SHM~CDs.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness - I remember buying this when it first came out. Those days were all about Zeppelin, Sabbath, Wishbone, Yes, Tull, Groundhogs, Ten Years After, etc. - and then these guys came along. What?! We hard rock guys were avoiding all things glam, even Bowie, for goodness sake. And now these weirdos turn up - and we all fell in love with them instantly. I still don't get why we gave them the pass we didn't give to the other "make-up and lipstick" artists. Or bands with a saxophonist? Or songs about 'romance' (yeughh!!). Or singing that is so mannered? Or crazy synthesizer freaks - what was an "Eno" anyway? And yet fall in love we did! Was it the amazing rock guitar stylings, the terrific drumming, the spacy soundscapes, or just the sheer wonderful ridiculousness of it all? What on earth was that "Bob MedLey" all about anyway?

This first Roxy album is still my favorite - the shock of the new (or at least different!)... And how wonderful to hear it in magnificent 5.1. So playful and entertaining, so immersive, so involving. I gave it a 9 - as the sound still doesn't have quite the bottom end to thump it along, and a pity about DVD-Video too. But I'm having so much fun - isn't it great to hear Manzanera soloing all the way through Re-Make, only to strum a few chords when it is his turn to take the solo break later in the song? And to hear the wonderful Eno soundscape inviting us to into Ladytron. And all that crazy swirling stuff in Bob. And the screeching guitar/synthesizer on Chance Meeting. Never mind the rollicking delight to be had with dear old Virginia Plain...

The extras and packaging are also tremendous. It is such a treat to hear all that BBC material - in many ways those versions of the songs are even better than the takes that made the album.

By the way, when my Dad saw the cover, he asked me why I was bringing such inappropriate images into our home. But he stole a second look anyway. Ha!
Imagine his reaction if it had been the Country Life album...

Another 9 from me. Only played the 5.1 mix so far, but love it. DTS is a healthy constant 6.4Mbps. Got it from amazon.com for 98 AUD (including shipping to Aus). The recently opened amazon.com.au website has it for 143 AUD! Nice packaging etc, but could have done with an XTC style package and price.

Maximum bitrate for DTS is 1.5 (1509kbps). Not sure where you are seeing 6.4Mbps? Possibly your processor is sending out a converted PCM signal which wouldn't degrade the sound, but of course wouldn't improve it despite the larger amount of data being sent.

Maximum bitrate for DTS is 1.5 (1509kbps). Not sure where you are seeing 6.4Mbps? Possibly your processor is sending out a converted PCM signal which wouldn't degrade the sound, but of course wouldn't improve it despite the larger amount of data being sent.
Good point...I have my oppo send everything to the amp via PCM because my amp cannot play the the more modern surround sound formats. It can do DTS 96/24 so I switched to 'bitstream', rebooted the machine, tried again, and.....still 6.XMbps. Amp shows a DTS 96/24 signal is being fed to it. Now I am confused...or is my oppo confused...

I have always liked the early glam of the 70s, as well as some of the progressive music done in the same era. Roxy Musics debut is a perfect match, still the most adventurous album they did - finding out that Steven had done a 5.1 mix of this made me feel like a child on christmas morning. And so the announcement came... as well as the prize. Still too expensive I imagine, I managed to snatch it for $64 and even though the book alone is a piece of art I still find the regular cost of $120+ simply too much. But anyway, I probably would have gotten this anyway...

The mix? Fucking perfect!! It makes the album so justice, Enos quirky sounds, good separation, good fidelity, it’s just a pleasure to crank this.

I have to give this a 10, much for the long time coming and still meet my high expectations and upon that, maybe one of Stevens finest mixes yet.
Yes, I am glad Steve Wilson did a 're-make / re-model' of this album...

Back