Steven Wilson Steven Wilson Remixes Facebook/Twitter Pages!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are amateur mixing engineers putting out better mixes than on some professional releases.

Even though a lot of these amateur mixes get more adventurous with placement, they lack the kind of sonic refinement that a true professional will bring to a project. Plus, the amateur is usually doing the mixing for themselves so they can do as they please, whereas when a paying client is involved, they get their way.
I really haven't heard any amateur mixes that measure up to the ones mixed by people like Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner, or Bob Clearmountain.

Hey.....I don't want 'anything' to happen to our good friend and musician/studio master. I was just referring to the fact due to Mr. Steven Wilson being so busy with his other music projects I felt he should share his skills and knowledge with some other emerging studio engineers. I hope everything works out.
Sure. No offense intended.

...I really haven't heard any amateur mixes that measure up to the ones mixed by people like Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner, or Bob Clearmountain.
That does not mean an instructional video would do them no good. Besides, there are those on this board who would disagree with you.

Last edited:
Even though a lot of these amateur mixes get more adventurous with placement, they lack the kind of sonic refinement that a true professional will bring to a project. Plus, the amateur is usually doing the mixing for themselves so they can do as they please, whereas when a paying client is involved, they get their way.
I really haven't heard any amateur mixes that measure up to the ones mixed by people like Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner, or Bob Clearmountain.

I know it's been said before...but IMO it can't be said enough times on forums...very seldom does the person who is doing the mix(who is an EMPLOYEE)get the luxury of just doing what they want in regards to a mix...so when people "hate" on the professional who is doing the mix...they are killing the messenger because they don't like the message(mix)...and the bigger the project(the higher the profile of the band)the more "supervision"(micromanagement)is employed...I'd imagine Steven Wilson gets more freedom on some of the lesser known progressive bands than Giles Martin would receive when facing the Apple Empire..

I know it's been said before...but IMO it can't be said enough times on forums...very seldom does the person who is doing the mix(who is an EMPLOYEE)get the luxury of just doing what they want in regards to a mix...so when people "hate" on the professional who is doing the mix...they are killing the messenger because they don't like the message(mix)...and the bigger the project(the higher the profile of the band)the more "supervision"(micromanagement)is employed...I'd imagine Steven Wilson gets more freedom on some of the lesser known progressive bands than Giles Martin would receive when facing the Apple Empire..
Similarly, there is no reason to "hate" on amateurs because the are amateur. Especially when QQ members are hungry for hi-res, discrete new music. There is worthy amateur material to enjoy, if they choose.
Amateurs may not have access to many thousands of dollars worth of gear (or they might) and they may not be working with music recorded professionally at a studio like Abbey Road (but the material might sound good anyway). On the other hand, there are, for various reasons, professionally released surround titles that just don't sound good, whether it is the artist's "fault" or not.
Conversely, there are amateur titles, whether they have the fidelity one is looking for (which is highly subjective anyway), that can and do bring enjoyment to some listeners. I see no reason why withholding mixology tutorials from amateur mixing engineers would be a good thing. That is the sole point I am driving at.

Similarly, there is no reason to "hate" on amateurs because the are amateur. Especially when QQ members are hungry for hi-res, discrete new music. There is worthy amateur material to enjoy, if they choose.
Amateurs may not have access to many thousands of dollars worth of gear (or they might) and they may not be working with music recorded professionally at a studio like Abbey Road (but the material might sound good anyway). On the other hand, there are, for various reasons, professionally released surround titles that just don't sound good, whether it is the artist's "fault" or not.
Conversely, there are amateur titles, whether they have the fidelity one is looking for (which is highly subjective anyway), that can and do bring enjoyment to some listeners. I see no reason why withholding mixology tutorials from amateur mixing engineers would be a good thing. That is the sole point I am driving at.

I agree with you...blanket endorsements or blanket denials never work...you must judge each singular unit on it's merits...or lack of...even in the commercial arena...the industry giants with infinite resources are surpassed by the Dutton's of the music world...it happens...and is still happening

I'm really looking forward to the deluxe edition of "Clutching at Straws".
The "Misplaced Childhood" and "Brave" deluxe editions have been fantastic, so I can't wait for more from Marillion!

:)

Ryan, did SW say he was for sure doing 'Clutching at Straws"?

A good friend of mine who is a huge Marillion fan says this if his favorite Marillion album and favorite album that Fish was involved on.
I do not know this album so based on Misplaced Childhood and Brave am really looking forward to this one as well.
I do like Fish better as lead vocalist than Hogarth so far in albums that I have head by Marillion.

peter

Update from Steven Wilson's website:

"For those of you who haven’t been able to see the To the Bone tour in the flesh, or if you have but just want to see it again in the comfort of your own home, the Royal Albert Hall concert film is being edited and mixed as we speak. It will include the whole of the third night’s performance in this beautiful venue, as well as some extra songs not included in the gig set list that were filmed earlier in the day in an empty venue. Official announcements on title, contents and formats coming soon.

Later in the year I’m planning on recording some new material (very different again is all I can say right now), but next there are some festival appearances from late June through July, so hopefully see some of you there. Hellfest in France should be particularly interesting, don’t expect to hear Permanating at that one!"

On Steven's Facebook page this morning:

A huge shoutout to @l.acoustics.official for hosting this special event at their fantastic 18.1.12 immersive audio room in LA. The event included playback and discussion of many of my recent spatial audio mixes, including several yet to be released or still in progress. Thanks also to the audio pros that came along and joined in with the Q&A at the end, I really enjoyed the discussion!

Did anybody here attend? There are several photos which show him in front of a screen with images of albums like Who's Next, American Beauty and Hunting High and Low. Also one slide where you can see The Harmony Codex mentioned. Also it looks like there's an image of The Cars' first album. Could that be one of the many classic albums that he says that he's remixed? (They might have to change the name of the song to "Moving in Atmos"!)

310603386_683513699808478_885505092362538456_n.jpg

On Steven's Facebook page this morning:

A huge shoutout to @l.acoustics.official for hosting this special event at their fantastic 18.1.12 immersive audio room in LA. The event included playback and discussion of many of my recent spatial audio mixes, including several yet to be released or still in progress. Thanks also to the audio pros that came along and joined in with the Q&A at the end, I really enjoyed the discussion!

Did anybody here attend? There are several photos which show him in front of a screen with images of albums like Who's Next, American Beauty and Hunting High and Low. Also one slide where you can see The Harmony Codex mentioned. Also it looks like there's an image of The Cars' first album. Could that be one of the many classic albums that he says that he's remixed? (They might have to change the name of the song to "Moving in Atmos"!)

View attachment 84225
An Atmos Steve Wilson mixed Cars ST,
now where’d I put that gold tooth???

Someone at the event confirmed he played some material from The Harmony Codex, so that's pretty cool - but we knew that would get Atmos...I want more info on what we do NOT know!

Good to see Hunting High and Low mentioned, gives me hope he did do the whole album and a physical release isn't an impossibility.

In the case of mixing/remastering of Who's Next, what's the process? The files (or tapes) are sent to SW for mixing, and then he sends draft copies to folks like Pete T. for approval etc?

And what about Daltrey, does he get any say in the mix/results?

Back