The Next XTC Surround Sound Release...The Complete Dukes Of Stratosphear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what I mean, which is that they should have all recorded tracks (tapes or files) for those albums since they were more recent.

No. I wasn’t trying to contradict you. I was only asking what they recorded to. The more I think about it, the more I hope it was analog tape around that time. Digital is far better now than when it was during those recordings. :)

The initial sessions for Apple Venus were started in Chris Difford's studio and were recorded to tape. However, after a disagreement between Difford and XTC, they relocated to another studio. Difford held onto the tapes from the first sessions and the band had to start again from scratch. Not sure if the sessions in the second studio were done on tape. This is an excerpt from a period interview with Andy that I found on the Chalkhills site:

We actually started in a studio run by Chris Difford of Squeeze. And I went to see it and it looked great. It was in the grounds of his house. He's got this nice house with these big grounds. He must have made a few bob somewhere along the line. And he had this old barn converted into a studio. And it looked great, you know. Wonderful. And we started. And just nothing was ready. The day that we turned up, the mixing desk was in pieces on the floor. And we waited around for four days until tempers were really frayed. And we said, "Look, we'll come back when it's all fixed." Came back two weeks later, two weeks eaten out of our schedule and it still wasn't up and running properly. And we tried to record and things weren't technically working. And he was really embarrassed. He said, "Look, you're my favorite band ever. I'm embarrassed to death about this. So why don't you take the rest of the time for free." So we took the rest of the time for free. And then near the end of that time, he tried to charge us for the free time. And we said, "Take that bill and put it somewhere and not on the shelf." And we left the studio. And as we were packing up to leave, he stole our tapes. So we had to start the album again. In fact, he still has the original tapes.

Currently playing English Settlement through the Surround Master. Some good bits in the mix...but a discrete mix would be much (or should that be 'MCH') better.

It's my favorite of the XTC albums that have yet to be released in surround sound, followed by "Mummer" and "The Big Express".
"Apple Venus" & "Wasp Star" are both OK, but they have some weaker moments (particularly from Colin M's songs) and I never really liked "White Music" or "Go 2".

I'm still burning with optimism's flames waiting to find out what this next XTC 5.1 title is!

:)

While I’ll be happy with any new XTC in 5.1, I just want to give a little love to “Apple Venus, Vol.1”! I think it’s brilliant and I’ll be especially thrilled if it’s next!
Yes! All the little chairs squeaking across the wooden schoolroom floor at the start of "Harvest Festival." That still gets to me. And it's just one of many wonderful moments on that record.

The only trouble I can see with Apple Venus is that it already sounds pretty amazing in stereo. Any multi mix will have a high bar to clear.

Unless I'm forgetting something I don't think we've heard anything since Andy said he was going to listen to the first two mixed songs back in April. Since we've gotten one every year for the last five years, I was assuming that we'd have the next one before the end of the year, but maybe Steven's busy schedule has kept him from completing the mixes.

I am in no hurry as I am already behind on this series, having only very recently moved into the surround realm. But the reissues are superb even for a non-surround buyer. I have only gotten around to Black Sea and Skylarking yet, since those two are my favourite XTC albums along with Drums & Wires. That one is next on my purchase list. Will have to get Oranges & Lemons and Nonsuch too for completeness' sake.

The one I am really anticipating though is Mummer. Such an underrated gem in XTC catalogue, and an album that should sound spectacular in surround. Dukes of Stratosphear would be cool too.

Back