HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Alan Parsons Project - TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION

• Total voters
High points are the strong bass line throughout the album, and of course the music itself.

Low points (for me) - Complex parts sound slightly congested (could be my old ears), and I'd like to hear the drums featured a bit louder.

Can't wait (hoping!!!) for a 5.1 Eye in the Sky, my favorite Parsons album.

Net 9.

I don't vote as often as I should, but I felt I had to respond to this poll.

I agree with a couple of criticisms mentioned above. The mix can get a bit strained sounding when it gets really busy, but I also remember the vinyl behaving that way as well. And some of the overdubs from the 87 mix do sound a bit disembodied from the rest of the mix, but taken as a whole, this is stellar in both fidelity and mix.

The bass line on this recording always reminded me of Floyd' Dark Side album, something Parsons also had some experience with. Both recordings feature "heartbeat" bass lines, all be it, for different reasons and created in different ways. The bass here is STRONG. I had to re-adjust my sub level because of how much it started exciting things in the room. I still have to go back and check out the system settings using my bass reference disks to determine if the bass here is heavy handed or my system is not in calibration like I thought it was. I'm sure its exasperated by what seems like very wide dynamic range. The low parts are low, making you want to up the volume a bit, or two. or five... so when it gets loud ... it gets LOUD. None of this is a complaint by any means. I think it points to how well the album was recorded, mixed and mastered.

The only place I gotta deduct anything is the content. I still cant get into the Usher suite, and what APP produced after this album is where the true gold is.

I was glad when the standalone BRD was announced and I hope we get to see more 5.1 APP releases in the future. I'd give it a 9.5 if I could. But I'm giving it a 9. I gotta save the 10's for the likes of I Robot and Turn of a Friendly Card.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the DR being so extended!

I KNOW that ,
for the ones who live in a detached house , it's their "reference point", because you can crank it up to "11".

But for those of us who live in a building and can't afford to have a lot of frequencies on the REALLY low range, I understand that we have to wait until we get that specific LISTENING ROOM , and , we have to compromise, AND THEN,we'll have our private "Studio" we can keep up the volume , and we will be happy as clams...

but until then, for the rest of us...keep your remote/ fader/ control module at hand , cause you're gonna need it!!!

I am not against it, and aamof, I'm a big belie¡ver in having ANY kind of control device for the master volume----

oh , sure you can call me "obsessive", but , hey....

:smokin

Need help finding a reputable ordering site for the standalone ??

Just got the message"money refunded as your item was returned undeliverable" PREPOSTORUS, as I only placed the order 8 days ago and delivery would be at minimum 2 and a half weeks to just arrive at MY address. (and sure enough out of stock)
The amazon.ca one turned out to be bogus !! Amazon is renowned for their B.S. .Unfortunately not the first F UP from them.

:rolleyes:

(Boy do I ever miss Clint)

Need help finding a reputable ordering site for the standalone ??

Just got the message"money refunded as your item was returned undeliverable" PREPOSTORUS, as I only placed the order 8 days ago and delivery would be at minimum 2 and a half weeks to just arrive at MY address. (and sure enough out of stock)
The amazon.ca one turned out to be bogus !! Amazon is renowned for their B.S. .Unfortunately not the first F UP from them.

:rolleyes:

(Boy do I ever miss Clint)

Have you tried the APP pledge website? They were the first store to list the single Blu-Ray edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the poll voted 10 for good mix and surround effect.....This album is new to me, only heard Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether on my local FM station. Really liked the whole album, got totally immersed listening to it. Glad I picked it up.:51banana:

I gave it a 9, good songs great production but what about Arthur Brown screaming all the way through The Tell Tale Heart. Thus quoth the Raven, what a great line.

I voted 8 (Content: 7.5, Surround Mix: 8, Fidelity: 10).
It's a very nice surround mix, but I couldn't find anything particularly exciting about the first five tracks (side A). I much prefer the stereo mix for those. Surprisingly, side B works extremely well in surround!
The hi-res version of the original stereo mix is probably the best digital version available to date. The digital download is a single file, with no cue sheet. That's annoying.

Refined, polished sound for which Parsons is a master. I've enjoyed his musical tribute to Poe since its first release and am not disappointed with the fine surround mix. I'm voting an 8 because it's not as strong as a couple of subsequent albums, and in some ways I prefer the original mix to the later revision. Still, a must-have surround with a knock-out orchestral arrangement in Fall of the House of Usher that is a perfect fit for Poe's dark, magisterial short story.

Back