Un-rippable DTS CD from 1996. Huh?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was "cleaning" and found some old DTS CD's that I'd misplaced a decade or so ago. I was psych'd to find them. Apparently they were in a DTS compatible CD 400 disc changer I had back then and went I got rid of the changer I stashed these in a pile and "lost" them until now.

Anyway, I digress (as usual). I had this demo DTS CD that had a track I really liked, a Jazz track, so I figured I'd rip the whole CD to files and then I could use the test tracks in the car and add the tracks to my digital library. Well, not so fast.

I fired up the big PC, put the CD in, started Foobar, and it started to play, but is sounded weird, and fast, and then stopped! I found the track I wanted and went to convert it with Foobar and the results were bad - errors all over the place. I then went WAYBACK and dug out Tranzcode and after extracting the one song into Sound Forge as a DTS encoded track, I used Tranzcode and got the 6 .wav files, which I put back into Sound Forge, but a 5.1 wav file, and went to play it. It sounded horrible, and fast. It then bailed after about a minute with no more audio after that.

So - I took the disc into my car and it played perfectly!!!??? What's up with that. Brought it to the Oppo in the living room and it played fine there.

I give up! Anyone heard of this before, or have I forgotten some oddball thing about early DTS CDs?

DTS CD cant rip.jpg

Last edited:
MakeMKV doesn't like this disc either:

MakeMKV v1.12.2 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '32768'

I was "cleaning" and found some old DTS CD's that I'd misplaced a decade or so ago. I was psych'd to find them. Apparently they were in a DTS compatible CD 100 disc changer I had back then and went I got rid of the changer I stashed these in a pile and "lost" them until now.

Anyway, I digress (as usual). I had this demo DTS CD that had a track I really liked, a Jazz track, so I figured I'd rip the whole CD to files and then I could use the test tracks in the car and add the tracks to my digital library. Well, not so fast.

I fired up the big PC, put the CD in, started Foobar, and it started to play, but is sounded weird, and fast, and then stopped! I found the track I wanted and went to convert it with Foobar and the results were bad - errors all over the place. I then went WAYBACK and dug out Tranzcode and after extracting the one song into Sound Forge as a DTS encoded track, I used Tranzcode and got the 6 .wav files, which I put back into Sound Forge, but a 5.1 wav file, and went to play it. It sounded horrible, and fast. It then bailed after about a minute with no more audio after that.

So - I took the disc into my car and it played perfectly!!!??? What's up with that. Brought it to the Oppo in the living room and it played fine there.

I give up! Anyone heard of this before, or have I forgotten some oddball thing about early DTS CDs?

View attachment 33349

Well, Jon, if I were held hostage in [gulp] a CD 100 disc changer for years ..... I'd rip you ........... a new *******

Last edited:
MakeMKV doesn't like this disc either:

MakeMKV v1.12.2 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '1048576'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-203 1.10' at offset '32768'

Does MakeMKV normally work with CDs? I've never though to try.

As previously suggested, I'd definitely try EAC. I've always ripped my DTS CDs using regular audio tools. Though the problems you're having are definitely odd. I can wrap my head around a normal stereo disc being difficult to rip while seeming to play OK, but having a DTS disc behave that way is beyond strange. Issues with iffy DTS discs are what started me down the streaming path, but the problem I had was always that marginal CDs could eventually be ripped but may not read well in a normal player.

The only (obvious) success I've had with ripping dts discs has been the basic 'wav rip method' and then changing the file extension to dts. I guess that's not a problem given the extra terrestrial speed changes et all... But I know how much of a pain in the arse they can be to rip! Could try XLD/Jriver just in case there's quirky difference. I know I've had some success with dts with those...

Does MakeMKV normally work with CDs? I've never though to try.

As previously suggested, I'd definitely try EAC. I've always ripped my DTS CDs using regular audio tools. Though the problems you're having are definitely odd. I can wrap my head around a normal stereo disc being difficult to rip while seeming to play OK, but having a DTS disc behave that way is beyond strange. Issues with iffy DTS discs are what started me down the streaming path, but the problem I had was always that marginal CDs could eventually be ripped but may not read well in a normal player.

Really. I have never had an issue with a DTS CD before, either store made or home made. This one is pretty odd, but it has to be one of the first DTS CD's made, so who knows what the deal is. The strange thing is that it plays in the car and Oppo. It just does not like my PC. I wonder if there is some sort of early experimental copy protection on it? That could actually be the reason.

Really. I have never had an issue with a DTS CD before, either store made or home made. This one is pretty odd, but it has to be one of the first DTS CD's made, so who knows what the deal is. The strange thing is that it plays in the car and Oppo. It just does not like my PC. I wonder if there is some sort of early experimental copy protection on it? That could actually be the reason.

I had problems with cheap burned DTS discs that might play OK in one player but not in another. The first time I really tried to deal with the problem I had a no-name CD-R of "The Best of the Doors" that kept dropping out. The computer had no problem reading it and when I burned a new copy on a Mitsui (highly regarded at the time) the same player that choked on the original disc played it just fine. There's a pretty straight line from there to becoming obsessed with having everything played off hard drives.

What really confuses me in your case is that you're getting something that isn't just full of errors but at the wrong speed! Does the speed difference sound like 44.1 being played back at 48 or is it more extreme? Not that I have an answer either way, it just seems like at least 48kHz playback would make some kind of sense. Sort of. Almost. A bit.

When you play it back in Foobar does it report a sample rate?

Wrong speed make me too think about a 44,1-48 KHz misinterpretation by the pc.
I suggest to rip the cd with EAC as waw, and rip it slow!
EVen using a bd-drive is ok, slow speed can help a lot in reading a disc that is inside the cd parameters for 1x reading but has a slight imbalance that at 40x speed can make a real mess.

Last edited:
Did a few more things today. Here is the readout from Foobar on the CD which is playing distorted and at the wrong speed:

DTS CD cant rip Foobar.jpg

So I EAC'd a few tracks, foobar would not decode them. Then I ran them through tranzcode in DOS, and the result was the same as from Foobar - fast and distorted. There has to be some copy protection at work here.

I have the same problem with the Engelstaub - Anderswelt dts cd, never got that one ripped properly. To fast, distorted sound.

The rest of my 31 dts cd's I manage to rip.

Thanks! It's nice to know it's not just me. I guess I'll just have to do it the "old fashioned way". Record it into the PC in real time from the Oppo to the Motu. Not a big deal.

Just another bump along the "MultiChannel Road of Obsession" in the territory of "Obsolete Media" located in the country of "Consumer Electronics".

These guys issued a few cds. A Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller with their DMP Big Band. And a cd carved in stone. I think i still have them cause they did not copy right away. This was right at the start with us.

Thanks! It's nice to know it's not just me. I guess I'll just have to do it the "old fashioned way". Record it into the PC in real time from the Oppo to the Motu. Not a big deal.

Just another bump along the "MultiChannel Road of Obsession" in the territory of "Obsolete Media" located in the country of "Consumer Electronics".

Hi Jon,

try these steps:
- rip the CD to wav files with EAC
- convert the wav files with DTS Parser to DTS files (Processing option = Rebuild Stream)
- convert the DTS files with Audio Muxer to wav/flac

Works usually for me...

Cheers,
Andreas

1529864030465.png

Thanks Andreas.

I've never heard of DTS Parser, and Google searches are turning up links to uninstall it, so I am not sure if it's safe to get or not. Is there a viable link somewhere to get the program? Are there issues with it? I really don't want to get my PC screwed up just to decode this CD. It's not that important when I can just play it into the MOTU and be done with it.

I did follow one link to it but it was blocked by my MalwareBytes.

Back