Devin Townsend 5.1 Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right, first brief listen. I'm only going to make it through a couple songs for now, and will explore it more later tonight, or this week.

First impressions... Wow... The sound is MASSIVE. Wish I had a sub, as I'm sure this would give it a serious workout. It's not extremely discreet in the surrounds, but it's certainly more than audience and some echo. While there's a lot of reverb present in the rears speakers, there's also a lot of drum presence, too. The drum kit seems quite spread in the sound field. It actually sounds very enveloping. Vocals seem to be mostly anchored in the center channel. While I was hoping for a more adventurous surround mix, it seems very fitting for a live performance. It does sound very good. Excellent sound quality, performance, and image quality.

Did I mention the sound is massive?

But...is it massive sounding?
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUGE, GOS, HUGE :) I watched a little more last night. It's excellent, although I had to keep the volume pretty low :cry: Anybody else watch this yet??

I also think it's superb sounding, even though the guitars are sometimes a little too low in the mix for my taste, while the drums are on the louder side. But it sounds very dynamic and the surrounds are opening up the stereo field in a nice way, giving the the mix some dimensionality while not being used in a super discrete way. But it serves this live mix very well and it sounds indeed absolutely massive!

The picture quality is also mostly on the positive side and the bit rate is high enough to avoid obvious compression problems. Add a fantastic show and performance to the menu and you got one of the most impressive live shows I've ever seen. This release is highly recommended!

I also got email saying mine shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And....it arrived today. I have to come clean. I have NO clue who Devin Townsend is.......why don't I know him? Played about 4 songs and holy shit.....that dude can sing. This is a super good concert, I'd say sound quality is slightly above average........I mean.....it's not very "surroundy"....but I honestly think this just needs to be flat out cranked up to appreciate.

For me, I'd say, I'm instantly a fan. :)

And....it arrived today. I have to come clean. I have NO clue who Devin Townsend is.......why don't I know him? Played about 4 songs and holy shit.....that dude can sing. This is a super good concert, I'd say sound quality is slightly above average........I mean.....it's not very "surroundy"....but I honestly think this just needs to be flat out cranked up to appreciate.

For me, I'd say, I'm instantly a fan. :)

Hmmm, I'm assuming Strapping Young Lad probably won't ring a bell either, eh? :) DT got his big break on Steve Vai's album Sex and Relgion in the early 90s. He then went on to SYL, which made a very large impact in the metal community throughout the 90s, and then on to his own solo career. He's never had any major "mainstream" success, but he's developed a very large, devoted following.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it GOS! And yeah, he's an incredible vocalist, and this video demonstrates his vocal range of over five octaves (C2-F7)

Hmmm, I'm assuming Strapping Young Lad probably won't ring a bell either, eh? :) DT got his big break on Steve Vai's album Sex and Relgion in the early 90s. He then went on to SYL, which made a very large impact in the metal community throughout the 90s, and then on to his own solo career. He's never had any major "mainstream" success, but he's developed a very large, devoted following.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it GOS! And yeah, he's an incredible vocalist, and this video demonstrates his vocal range of over five octaves (C2-F7)

He is also a very talented guitarist.

HUGE, GOS, HUGE :) I watched a little more last night. It's excellent, although I had to keep the volume pretty low :cry: Anybody else watch this yet??

You convinced me, order placed on this one as well.
I used to meet and talk the drummer from time to time at a and b sound in Burnaby as he was just starting out being Devin's go to drummer after SLL.
I think Devin T. doesn't live to far from where I live either, small world sometimes.

Back