Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question to you familiar with these JT deluxe releases.

I really like Steven Wilson's 5.1-mixes on those, but for some reason I need to lower the surround channels on the last two releases (Wood and Horses) - something I never thougt about for the former releases. The surround channel levels are too high on those two, if you ask me.

Am I alone in this or...?

Both sound fine to me, I thought Acres Wild was a little light on the bass but I put that down to the playing style and SW being faithful to the original mixes maybe...

For what its worth for those who order through Amazon, back when Mr. Alvin Lee passed away Ten Years After's Rock & Roll Music to the World from Audio Fidelity popped up on Amazon for $9.99 so I ordered it, this was on March 7, 2013 after numerous notifications that they were still waiting for a copy to ship and wanting to know if I wanted to keep waiting...short story long, it finally shipped on July 15, 2013 after over 4 months of waiting, new for $9.99 (Prime). It is currently going for $37.77 to $120.00 used on Amazon, sometimes you get lucky.

A question to you familiar with these JT deluxe releases.

I really like Steven Wilson's 5.1-mixes on those, but for some reason I need to lower the surround channels on the last two releases (Wood and Horses) - something I never thougt about for the former releases. The surround channel levels are too high on those two, if you ask me.

Am I alone in this or...?

I think the balance on those releases was pretty close to perfect.

:)

Amazon is listing SFTW for $300 at present. Just... no.
What the heck happened with this one? Waiting for the price to come down $10 or so (like all the rest of them did a short spell after release) turned out to be an epic failure for me! This isn't even remotely one of their popular albums. Did they have a really limited release for this one or something? Serves me right for not jumping on it I suppose. Now that I've heard how Heavy Horses turned around with the new mix, I feel like I'm missing out with this one. Heh, weren't these editions supposed to be the new official definitive versions? So they're selling out and then they're left with the old not so great CD res versions on store shelves again. Grumble grumble...

The balance on all channels of Heavy Horses sounds right on point to me. I hear no mastering faux pas with channel levels.

Heh, up to $117 right now.
No seriously, how is this more obscure JT album fetching "butcher cover" prices here?!
Well, would ya just look at the speculating I missed out on here! Did I buy 10 for $35 each? No, of course not! That would have been intelligent! I waited for it to come down to $25 instead. Apparently I'm an idiot here!

I buy the Tull stuff within a couple of weeks of issue and never look for them again. Is SFTW that much different in resale value on the secondary market than the others? Aren't they all OOP at this point?

I own all the Tull boxes, for $30-$40 it’s not that much to pay when they first come out. I’d advise grab them ASAP when they are issued because they won’t be repressed again it seems. It’s my opinion physical media is beginning to disappear sadly.

Pre-order, it's the only way to be sure! I think I paid less than £20 for each one, except maybe Stand Up and Heavy Horses, I just checked and Songs From The Wood was £19.15, a complete bargain. After the trouble I had getting the corrected Thick As A Brick I now usually pre-order, I really don't want to repeat that experience in a hurry...

RIGHT NOW...an auction is almost over on Ebay… $117.50 and 20 minutes to go is the highest bid...just saying..

Regarding Songs from the Wood: Based on a heads up from buc18, I ordered it from Amazon.ca on June 26 and it arrived yesterday. $55 delivered which is a lot better than way over $100. Thanks buc! Suggest anyone interested in getting SFTW act now while it may still be available from Amazon.ca.

Regarding Songs from the Wood: Based on a heads up from buc18, I ordered it from Amazon.ca on June 26 and it arrived yesterday. $55 delivered which is a lot better than way over $100. Thanks buc! Suggest anyone interested in getting SFTW act now while it may still be available from Amazon.ca.
Thanks for the heads up! $53 shipped. Probably should have ordered two at this point...

So, I wasn't sure where to post this, not the best news from an interview here...

https://fabriziopedrotti.com/2018/05/22/steven-wilson-every-time-i-go-on-stage-i-can-get-shot/

-Your tenth remix of Jethro Tull recently came out, regarding the album “Heavy horses” (1978). Are you going to continue with “Stormwatch” (1979)?
-I don’t know if I’m going to have time. I already remixed “This was” (1968), the first one, and it will be released soon. I’m very busy nowadays, and I even started to write my next album, which I want to record this year. I do not think I’m going to work on “Stormwatch”, but I’m sure they’ll find someone else, because those have been very successful releases.

So, I wasn't sure where to post this, not the best news from an interview here...

https://fabriziopedrotti.com/2018/05/22/steven-wilson-every-time-i-go-on-stage-i-can-get-shot/

Thanks for the link.
From "the glass is half full" perspective, there's this:

-How was to work with “This was”? I imagine the conditions were totally different than those from the later discs.
-It was incredible, and one of the most interesting things was to work under those limitations.
How do you remix a four-channel tape into 5.1? Of course there are digital tools, but it was a challenge.

I did things to that record that generated a very immersive experience.
I was very limited, but ironically it sounds fantastic in surround.

I screwed myself here. Literally. I hesitated on every single one of these releases. I wanted one but not the other. Then, I was thinking that, even though I wasn’t a big Jethro Tull fan I probably wouldn’t play them very much. Now, I want them all, and a lot of them are out of print.:rolleyes::mad:

-Your tenth remix of Jethro Tull recently came out, regarding the album “Heavy horses” (1978). Are you going to continue with “Stormwatch” (1979)?
-I don’t know if I’m going to have time. I already remixed “This was” (1968), the first one, and it will be released soon. I’m very busy nowadays, and I even started to write my next album, which I want to record this year. I do not think I’m going to work on “Stormwatch”, but I’m sure they’ll find someone else, because those have been very successful releases.

I wouldn't read too much into his comments right now, especially since "This Was" hasn't even been released yet.
The Jethro Tull reissue team has over a year to put together a 40th anniversary edition of "Stormwatch", so surely between now and the end of 2019, Steven Wilson should have a little bit of time to work on this remix, and even if he doesn't, it wouldn't bother me very much since "Stormwatch" is not one of my favorites anyway, but we shall see!

:)

Back