DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. I don't own the Poco Crazy Eyes DTS-CD. Might have to pick that up...

You could also write an e-mail to the fine folk at Dutton/Vocalion to let them know you'd rather give them your money for a SACD version... :)

Who knows, you may get your wish come true.

You could also write an e-mail to the fine folk at Dutton/Vocalion to let them know you'd rather give them your money for a SACD version... :)

Who knows, you may get your wish come true.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing...as I had a mint one in my cart ready to click buy from ebay. $25 shipped. I ended up walking away from it as I was thinking about DV.

Thanks for the excellent information fredblue. I never dismissed DTS CD, rather, it has just worked out that (almost) all of the surround discs that have stared me in the face are on other formats. Even looking at your signature, it appears that DTS CD represent a relatively smaller percentage of your impressively massive collection.

I'm not surprised to learn that the Allmans Live At The Fillmore was released in different mixes. It looks like I've got a few DTS CD purchases in my future!

you're very welcome! and welcome to QQ! I dismissed Quad in favour of 5.1 for the longest time (more channels = gotta be better, right? wrong!) oh ignore the sig! I've got a long way to go yet, probably around as many again DTS CDs on the shopping list i've still to find! there's guys and gals on here who's knowledge, setup and collections make me look like a part-timer! there's so much cool stuff to explore in this hobby and i've learned so much from other QQ members over the years, i hope you have a blast here too! :giggle:

Yep, I was thinking the same thing...as I had a mint one in my cart ready to click buy from ebay. $25 shipped. I ended up walking away from it as I was thinking about DV.

bah!! i wish i'd got it for $25 buckaroos shipped..!! it can be a pricey disc these days! (i call it a bargain!) you were too busy thinkin' bout DV baby yeah and you ain't got time for nuthin' else! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: GOS

I'm not saying you would not enjoy the DTS-CD as I'm sure it was put together with the usual care, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think D/V could release this one within a year or so.

I'm not saying you would not enjoy the DTS-CD as I'm sure it was put together with the usual care, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think D/V could release this one within a year or so.
LOL, Adam made me rethink it. So, I went back and ordered it. If DV do release it, I'll just sell my DTS-CD at a later date.

LOL, Adam made me rethink it. So, I went back and ordered it. If DV do release it, I'll just sell my DTS-CD at a later date.

I have the DTS RBCD of Crazy Eyes but compared to Cantamos/Seven.......there's DEFINITE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. Akin to the vast improvement SONY Japan accomplished with the QUAD SACD of Beck Bogert Appice over the lackluster DTS RBCD.

fwiw, the Allmans Live @Fillmore DTS CD and Blu-ray are different surround mixes from one another.

the DTS CD set is much more active surround and utilises the old Quad mix, whereas the Blu-ray set has a new remix from multitracks by UMe engineer Kevin Reeves.

not to confuse things further but the DTS CD set & Blu-ray set are both different again from the surround mix on the Hybrid SACD set, which was remixed by Jeff Glixman! so that's 3 distinct surround mixes and releases of that album alone! phew!

the Crazy Eyes DTS CD is excellent, I wholeheartedly recommend it to you. it presents the active & immersive Quad mix better than any Q8 tape or SQ record ever could (imho!).

in order to hear as much Quad and 5.1 music as possible over the years i've tried not to dismiss any particular format and there are a number of worthwhile DTS CDs which to this day are the only way to hear various Quads on a more modern digital surround format, including;
- Edgar Winter's "Jasmine Nightdreams",
- Stephen Stills' "Stills",
- Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Not Fragile",
- Ohio Players' "Fire" & "Honey",
- Steve Miller "Fly Like An Eagle",
- Wings "Band On The Run", & "Venus & Mars"

..and others I can't recall off the top of my head! some of those DTS CDs are real treasures to me to this day!

Also,
Clapton's TOIEC
and although not a quad, Steely Dan's first ES mix of Gaucho!

I have the DTS RBCD of Crazy Eyes but compared to Cantamos/Seven.......there's DEFINITE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

well the obvious thing would be to say "the SACD is bound to sound better than the DTS CD".. but I'm not sure its as open and shut as that, there's a few potential other factors at work (imho) maybe..
1.) there's nearly 20 years separates the DTS CD from the SACD, one would think DA converters and mastering processes have improved in the years since?
2.) the DTS CDs of old Quads are said to be from DAT dubs rather than the original master tapes like the DV SACDs, maybe that's a factor?
3.) Crazy Eyes was a remix done after the Stereo had been out a while, whereas Seven & Cantamos were recorded with Quad in mind from the outset,
4.) Crazy Eyes mixed by Larry Keyes, Seven & Cantamos mixed by Don Young, different engineers with different styles and approaches mixed in different studios..
5.) Mike Dutton better at remastering than DTS guys (Brad Miller etc)?

oh I dunno.. could it use an upgrade? possibly. is there one? not right now. personally I think DV will go onto other artists before they revisit Poco but i could be wrong, maybe they're "Deliverin" "Crazy Eyes" next, the secretive little devils!!! :devilish::ROFLMAO:

Also,
Clapton's TOIEC
and although not a quad, Steely Dan's first ES mix of Gaucho!

true el Kapitan! (y)
I was listing out old Quads that were only on DTS CD.. EC's TOIEC Quad is now on that spiffing Blu-ray in the "Give Me Strength" set, so we have options! hoorah! :QQlove

Gaucho's an interesting one, the DTS CD has a more surround-y mix on it than the SACD & DVD-A, so to me its essential.. can't never ever never ever get enough of that funky surround-y stuff! :rocks

well the obvious thing would be to say "the SACD is bound to sound better than the DTS CD".. but I'm not sure its as open and shut as that, there's a few potential other factors at work (imho) maybe..
1.) there's nearly 20 years separates the DTS CD from the SACD, one would think DA converters and mastering processes have improved in the years since?
2.) the DTS CDs of old Quads are said to be from DAT dubs rather than the original master tapes like the DV SACDs, maybe that's a factor?
3.) Crazy Eyes was a remix done after the Stereo had been out a while, whereas Seven & Cantamos were recorded with Quad in mind from the outset,
4.) Crazy Eyes mixed by Larry Keyes, Seven & Cantamos mixed by Don Young, different engineers with different styles and approaches mixed in different studios..
5.) Mike Dutton better at remastering than DTS guys (Brad Miller etc)?

oh I dunno.. could it use an upgrade? possibly. is there one? not right now. personally I think DV will go onto other artists before they revisit Poco but i could be wrong, maybe they're "Deliverin" "Crazy Eyes" next, the secretive little devils!!! :devilish::ROFLMAO:

Those DAT tapes which may have been the genesis for a slew of DTS RBCDs were 16/44.1. Don't get me wrong, Adam, the mix for Crazy Eyes is superb and the fidelity isn't that bad but I'm certain this hit laden Poco album could use some 'additional' LOVE from D~V.:QQlove

BTW, you mentioned the DTS Allman Brothers LIVE at Filmore East.....LOVE that discrete QUAD MIX. Much prefer it to the BD~As.

Chants - Wolfgang Puschnig (DTS CD)

thanks to vinylguy4 for the heads up on this one (y)

INXmIhZ.jpeg

15flfmZ.jpeg

Grey - Puschnig, Swallow, Alias, Lewis (DTS CD)

once again, thanks for the intel (on another surround one that was totally new on me!), vinylguy4 :hi

'all i need' now is time to play the latest pile(s).. ;)

cDHCCPI.jpeg

ODFSSvM.jpeg

NCBeOOc.jpeg

No chance of me keeping up with the @fredblues, but in this case he inspired me to track down a copy of this fer meself. Just arrived from across the pond. Handsome package: a hardbound booklet with lovely black & white photos. Now, as Adam says, to find the time to actually listen to it...

Back