Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suffolk David

With the re-release of Deadwing and In Absentia last week (standard CDs, not remastered), Burning Shed have alluded on Twitter to forthcoming remastered 5.1 versions of both finally being released ...

bb80502c84e3a2d7399523a39c582eff.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I never grabbed these back in the day for some strange reason. I was just learning this surround thing back then. I bought the cd/dvd-a of Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream however, terrific albums and surround mixes.

Last edited:
Here's what he said in an Argentine interview about it

-Any news about the Porcupine Tree reissues?

-Yes, in two or three years I would like to launch some special versions of “In absentia” (2002) and “Deadwing” (2005), with three or four CD’s. I have my sketches of the songs, demos of tracks that did not end up on the records, live material, B sides, things that we did in those periods, videos, surround remixes … a lot of material. I would also add texts about the recording, photographs and so on. Those are going to be huge projects, so I hope that people hold on until they come out.

The length of time he's projecting is disappointing but understandable given his schedule. Perhaps things will change and it'll come out sooner than that hopefully.

Here's what he said in an Argentine interview about it

-Any news about the Porcupine Tree reissues?

-Yes, in two or three years I would like to launch some special versions of “In absentia” (2002) and “Deadwing” (2005), with three or four CD’s. I have my sketches of the songs, demos of tracks that did not end up on the records, live material, B sides, things that we did in those periods, videos, surround remixes … a lot of material. I would also add texts about the recording, photographs and so on. Those are going to be huge projects, so I hope that people hold on until they come out.

The length of time he's projecting is disappointing but understandable given his schedule. Perhaps things will change and it'll come out sooner than that hopefully.

If he throws in all of that extra material I'm more than happy to wait until he has time to sort through it. An officially released concert from the In Absentia tour would be even more amazing.

I’d rather he continue remixing other artists albums that I like into Surround for the next 4-5 years first. I have plenty of his stuff to listen to for a while.
I never got In Absentia in 5.1, so I'm looking forward to that. But I also wish he'd continue his remixing work. But he seems pretty busy at the moment (just got tix for his Starland Ballroom show in NJ).

And if remastered 5.1 versions are released, the out of phase issues on In Absentia will be corrected. The center and LFE channels both have been identified by Steven's team as being out of phase on the existing 5.1 release.

I just thought the reverb/echo was too intense, I didn't think it actually was an issue. Thanks for the info.

I was lucky enough to get the japanese reissues in 2015.

I still think a simple reissue of the ES mixes with better mastering and phase corrected C/LFE is all that's needed here. Those are pretty hard to beat IMO. Obviously I wouldn't say no to new versions mixed by SW (it would be pretty cool to hear the vocals fully isolated in the center), but it's really not necessary.

Besides, I don't want to sound too dramatic but I think we're on the verge of an SW remix drought...he's been warning about it in interviews for a while and it seems to be starting now. He's bowed out of further Marillion, His involvement with Tull is pretty much over with maybe one more title in the can (Stormwatch), no word on future Roxy or Rush. Aside from some old stuff that still hasn't been released (Seeds Of Love), the last hope seems to be XTC, but it sounds like the tape situation is still holding them back.

I totally respect his decision to focus on his career (if only he'd get that mainstream recognition he deserves), it's just a darn shame for surround fans. I guess he'll probably keep releasing solo albums in 5.1...

Besides, I don't want to sound too dramatic but I think we're on the verge of an SW remix drought...he's been warning about it in interviews for a while and it seems to be starting now. He's bowed out of further Marillion, His involvement with Tull is pretty much over with maybe one more title in the can (Stormwatch), no word on future Roxy or Rush. Aside from some old stuff that still hasn't been released (Seeds Of Love), the last hope seems to be XTC, but it sounds like the tape situation is still holding them back.

I totally respect his decision to focus on his career (if only he'd get that mainstream recognition he deserves), it's just a darn shame for surround fans. I guess he'll probably keep releasing solo albums in 5.1...

I could see that maybe the "drought" could just be for other artists, while the possibility of doing more of his own past records is still there. There's a lot he hasn't mixed in surround yet, mainly his material from the 90's, that I'd love to hear in surround.

I still think a simple reissue of the ES mixes with better mastering and phase corrected C/LFE is all that's needed here. Those are pretty hard to beat IMO. Obviously I wouldn't say no to new versions mixed by SW (it would be pretty cool to hear the vocals fully isolated in the center), but it's really not necessary.

Overall, I agree that Steven Wilson is getting less and less involved with remixing other artists' catalogues.
"Stormwatch" is likely to be his last remix for Jethro Tull. Whether or not the series continues with another remixer is something we'll just have to wait and see about.
There probably will be a few more remixes from Gentle Giant so SW can continue his quid-pro-quo arrangement with the Shulman Bros where they get free remixes from him, and he gets Ray Shulman's DVD/Blu-Ray authoring services for free for his own releases, so I'm sure we'll see releases like "Free Hand" and "Interview" in the next few years as time permits.
We should probably get some more info in the next month or so about the 40th anniversary reissue of "Hemispheres" from RUSH so at that point we'll know if SW had any involvement or not. Some of RUSH's albums suffer from missing tapes, so maybe if SW isn't involved in "Hemispheres", it's not because he doesn't want to be. It might be because of missing tapes. We'll just have to wait and see.
It took so long to reissue "Roxy Music" that I don't have much faith that the reissue series will continue, but who knows?! At least we finally got "Roxy Music" this year, and it sounds incredible! Now if we can just get "Seeds of Love" too, that will make me very happy indeed!
Finally, I hope that Andy Partridge and co. can find all the remaining tapes for the rest of the XTC 80s albums (including both "Dukes" releases) cause the XTC series has been so phenomenal so far!

Overall, I agree that Steven Wilson is getting less and less involved with remixing other artists' catalogues.
"Stormwatch" is likely to be his last remix for Jethro Tull. Whether or not the series continues with another remixer is something we'll just have to wait and see about.
There probably will be a few more remixes from Gentle Giant so SW can continue his quid-pro-quo arrangement with the Shulman Bros where they get free remixes from him, and he gets Ray Shulman's DVD/Blu-Ray authoring services for free for his own releases, so I'm sure we'll see releases like "Free Hand" and "Interview" in the next few years as time permits.
We should probably get some more info in the next month or so about the 40th anniversary reissue of "Hemispheres" from RUSH so at that point we'll know if SW had any involvement or not. Some of RUSH's albums suffer from missing tapes, so maybe if SW isn't involved in "Hemispheres", it's not because he doesn't want to be. It might be because of missing tapes. We'll just have to wait and see.
It took so long to reissue "Roxy Music" that I don't have much faith that the reissue series will continue, but who knows?! At least we finally got "Roxy Music" this year, and it sounds incredible! Now if we can just get "Seeds of Love" too, that will make me very happy indeed!
Finally, I hope that Andy Partridge and co. can find all the remaining tapes for the rest of the XTC 80s albums (including both "Dukes" releases) cause the XTC series has been so phenomenal so far!

I live in hope that Steven will also continue doing mixes for Tears For Fears. At one point a few years ago he said in an interview that he would be remixing their "catalog". A vague statement I know, but it would be wonderful. Paul Sinclair also mentioned a while back that despite Universal not having yet released the Seeds of Love box set, that work was already underway for an Elemental box set. I'd love to hear an SW 5.1 mix for that.

There won't be any surround mixes for anything pre Stupid Dream from Porcupine Tree. If I remember correctly, SW himself mentioned in an article/interview somewhere that those earlier albums were not recorded in a way where sounds could easily be isolated for mixing. I don't think they were properly multitracked as he was working on a tight budget still. I would think the same for very early No-man stuff too.

Back