Nilsson Schmilsson on Surround SACD from Dutton Vocalion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really. I mean, I would not care a lick if these other companies release SACD's with the quad tracks, the more the merrier. That would have been great!

Only Marshall went "all in" and went the extra mile. I have to admit I advised him a few times not to waste the effort on a quad release when the title wasn't something that I thought was worthy, but that's why he was asking me. All in all AF did a remarkable job getting all of those titles out that they did. It's just a damn shame that the one they stopped on was the BS&T GH. I know it was supposed to have the quad tracks on it as Marshall mentioned it to me, so when it was announced without them, I had a feeling the end of that program was near. I am telling you it really bummed me out.

The quad community should never forget Marshall or Audio Fidelity. It's nice that DV has taken up the banner but Marshall and AF blazed the trail when the trail had pretty much ended.

Well said Jon...Marshall revived a failed format from the 70's and tried to make it work...a lot of people give lip service to things in business...but he put it all on the line for those quad titles...a huge gamble...and he was pitted against business rivals with much deeper pockets...he just had too many obstacles to overcome....I always viewed him as a music lover...not a bean counter....and he tried to do it the right way....

Maybe you could tell me what's so good about it -- other than the great songs. I had muchly anticipated hearing the many familiar tracks in quad but was pretty disappointed. Coconut and Gotta Get Up, two favorites I knew from 45 singles, were especially disheartenng. Jump Into the Fire is way overdone with added echo and unnnecessary extra percussion. Without You is somewhat okay, but still not all that discrete with vocal x 4 and an annoying added accoustic guitar during the solo piano opening. Other than horns in the rear there's not much going on separation-wise. And overall, the sound is dull compared to the stereo version.

I love this album in Quad especially "Jump Into The Fire". Overdone? No way, that track is even included on a Quad Demo album (JVC Presents Hot & Wild) I would use this track to demonstrate Quad for sure!!! The entire album is great, for content and surround mix as well. I can't say the same for "Pussy Cats" there is not much that's very good on it, even with John Lennon's help. But still I wouldn't object to a 2fer of both albums.

Really. I mean, I would not care a lick if these other companies release SACD's with the quad tracks, the more the merrier. That would have been great!

Only Marshall went "all in" and went the extra mile. I have to admit I advised him a few times not to waste the effort on a quad release when the title wasn't something that I thought was worthy, but that's why he was asking me. All in all AF did a remarkable job getting all of those titles out that they did. It's just a damn shame that the one they stopped on was the BS&T GH. I know it was supposed to have the quad tracks on it as Marshall mentioned it to me, so when it was announced without them, I had a feeling the end of that program was near. I am telling you it really bummed me out.

The quad community should never forget Marshall or Audio Fidelity. It's nice that DV has taken up the banner but Marshall and AF blazed the trail when the trail had pretty much ended.
I would have been thrilled if AF had issued only 5 or 6 more quads, and then closed that chapter for good. It just felt awful to see RTF, BST, Funk, WR, come out missing quad layers that were all likely approved. Throw in one more Nilsson, Winter, or name your pick, and the whole program would be considered completed, and ended on a very rich and happy note.

So, anyway, I'm still head over heals in love with what they did issue. Remember, or maybe you don't, it was me who said that the Billy Cobham was available for the fewest weeks, and disappeared for good, thus becoming the rarest quad SACD of their run. It went supernova in price the next day on ebay/Amazon for good.

So, I also know what the other title is with fewest pressing numbers and the most likely title to be in constant demand now and in the future. But I think this time I will wait until I've scooped up yet another small stack of them before I spill the beans. But there is another one that is skyrocket bound. :cool: And I know better now than to shoot my mouth off about it.

Last edited:
Come on D-V. You gotta get up and release Nilsson Schmilsson. No more driving along ... let the good times roll. :smokin:smokin:smokin
It's not looking good for A-List rock titles on D/V. After all these months, and waiting, and waiting, and even praying, and we could not even get Best of The Guess Who Vol. 2 as a single disc? Got Derringer but no Winter. No Waylon, but Chet Atkins yes.

I am still thrilled that D/V stepped up and corrected the missing Return to Forever quad later -- that I felt I should have gotten (from AF) but didn't. But I am beginning to accept that a really hot rock (A-List) title is not right around the corner. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
It's not looking good for A-List rock titles on D/V. After all these months, and waiting, and waiting, and even praying, and we could not even get Best of The Guess Who Vol. 2 as a single disc? Got Derringer but no Winter. No Waylon, but Chet Atkins yes.

I am still thrilled that D/V stepped up and corrected the missing Return to Forever quad later I felt I should have gotten but didn't. But I am beginning to accept that a hot rock title is not right around the corner. :cry::cry::cry:

There will be more surprises from a different label right around the corner............announcement should come in time for the Christmas holidays.....or sooner.

I'm also wondering whether the days of 2 QUAD albums on a single SACD are over as their newest batch [Sept. 2018] are ALL single albums. Without being privy to sales figures, one can only wonder how those titles, even at bargain prices, sold.

Last edited:
There will be more surprises from a different label right around the corner............announcement should come in time for the Christmas holidays.....or sooner.

I'm also wondering whether the days of 2 QUAD albums on a single SACD are over as their newest batch [Sept. 2018] are ALL single albums. Without being privy to sales figures, one can only wonder how those titles, even at bargain prices, sold.
The two-fers are titles that are cheap enough to license that way, and putting them both on a single disc is a strong enticement to purchase them. It works in two ways, buyer gets a great deal, and it's affordable from the label's perspective. But it would not work with certain bigger seller albums. Guess Who Hits Vol. 2, with a good number of top 20 singles on it is not going to work with a two-fer in mind. So no, I don't think it's the end of two-fers, and yes, they sell ok in the long run. I can see D/A dumping the two-fer format if enough folks keep saying their product is under priced. D/V will jack up the price if folks keep saying these are such a deal!!!!

I love how you state that there will be more surprises and a different label and announcement soon. You don't mean maybe, baby. That's great news. I'm tickled to death knowing something is cooking.

Last edited:

I am still thrilled that D/V stepped up and corrected the missing Return to Forever quad later -- that I felt I should have gotten (from AF) but didn't. But I am beginning to accept that a really hot rock (A-List) title is not right around the corner. :cry::cry::cry:

Man you are full of negativity. First it's "why won't D-V do any rock?" and then they do, and then it's "the rock D-V did isn't A-list!!". Maybe you should take a step back and look at the quantity and quality of what's come out this year alone compared to the two years previous. Start with the two Art Garfunkel albums, which have never been licensed for reissue by any label, ever, and you got them in audiophile-quality quad SACD. Not to mention the excellent Guess Who (I'd much rather have Road Food and #10 than a single disc GH v2) and Derringer (have you even checked to see if the Winter albums are OOP in the UK? They'd have to be for D-V to reissue them) two-fers (artists people have been asking for for years) and the recent Poco disc that might be one of the best-sounding, best-reviewed quad discs to date, and that's just in the last six months! As for country, you got the Lynn Anderson 2fer this year as well, which I believe is the first pair of straight country/western albums to see quad reissue on SACD - Rose Garden is one of the top selling country albums of all time, and the Greatest Hits album contains a further four Billboard Country #1s.

Maybe you should look at the way things are trending and think about the quick timescale that they've happened on, especially in light of the glacial pace that some other audiophile reissue companies work at.

A Little Night Music and the Rubenstein/Barenboim Beethoven Concertos discs are double LP sets on a single disc, and the Alexander Nevsky and Citizen Kane discs both feature bonus tracks. To fit two albums on to a single SACD, both albums need to be less than 40 minutes - I wouldn't read anything in to the arrangement of albums on a single month's release, especially when the majority of the discs feature more than an album's worth of material.

Man you are full of negativity. First it's "why won't D-V do any rock?" and then they do, and then it's "the rock D-V did isn't A-list!!". Maybe you should take a step back and look at the quantity and quality of what's come out this year alone compared to the two years previous. Start with the two Art Garfunkel albums, which have never been licensed for reissue by any label, ever, and you got them in audiophile-quality quad SACD. Not to mention the excellent Guess Who (I'd much rather have Road Food and #10 than a single disc GH v2) and Derringer (have you even checked to see if the Winter albums are OOP in the UK? They'd have to be for D-V to reissue them) two-fers (artists people have been asking for for years) and the recent Poco disc that might be one of the best-sounding, best-reviewed quad discs to date, and that's just in the last six months! As for country, you got the Lynn Anderson 2fer this year as well, which I believe is the first pair of straight country/western albums to see quad reissue on SACD - Rose Garden is one of the top selling country albums of all time, and the Greatest Hits album contains a further four Billboard Country #1s.

Maybe you should look at the way things are trending and think about the quick timescale that they've happened on, especially in light of the glacial pace that some other audiophile reissue companies work at.

A Little Night Music and the Rubenstein/Barenboim Beethoven Concertos discs are double LP sets on a single disc, and the Alexander Nevsky and Citizen Kane discs both feature bonus tracks. To fit two albums on to a single SACD, both albums need to be less than 40 minutes - I wouldn't read anything in to the arrangement of albums on a single month's release, especially when the majority of the discs feature more than an album's worth of material.

Nicely done!

I'm personally not all that in love with the Nilsson Schmilsson quad myself, but that's just me. It's definitely one the better-mixed titles in that early "PQ8" series where RCA was starting to find its footing with quad. The later RCAs, like the PPL and Guess Who two-fers D-V put out, are much better quad IMO. I do like the hits and "Jump Into The Fire" is a pretty sweet demo track, but I just don't spin it all that often.

I'd definitely buy at D-V's excellent price point though! That master tape fidelity would crush my CD-4 and Q8 copies, I'm sure...

I think D-V is doing an unbelievable job and I hope they continue at this pace. I'm still in shock they did Poco's Seven, one of my most-wanted quad titles for reissue! As long as they keep churning out Columbia titles, I'll be happy. I do love an uber-discrete Columbia quad :)

I'm personally not all that in love with the Nilsson Schmilsson quad myself, but that's just me. It's definitely one the better-mixed titles in that early "PQ8" series where RCA was starting to find its footing with quad. The later RCAs, like the PPL and Guess Who two-fers D-V put out, are much better quad IMO. I do like the hits and "Jump Into The Fire" is a pretty sweet demo track, but I just don't spin it all that often.

I'd definitely buy at D-V's excellent price point though! That master tape fidelity would crush my CD-4 and Q8 copies, I'm sure...

I think D-V is doing an unbelievable job and I hope they continue at this pace. I'm still in shock they did Poco's Seven, one of my most-wanted quad titles for reissue! As long as they keep churning out Columbia titles, I'll be happy. I do love an uber-discrete Columbia quad :)

that's my favourite REO Speedwagon album!!
"You Can Beat An Egg But You Can't Beat A Discrete Columbia Quad"
(sadly released in Stereo only) :giggle:

"Jump Into the Fire" is definitely the quad highlight of that album, but I still love the entire album, and I have a soft spot for Nilsson even at his most uneven. I would sing a week's worth of hallelujahs if Schmillson got the D-V treatment (or better yet: if it were reissued as part of a pair of two-fers, along with Pussy Cats, Duit On Mon Dei, and Sandman!).

I second all the other sentiments. (Almost all, anyway. But even though I can't warm up to Poco, I finally broke down and ordered it anyway, along with Airto & Deodato, Ormandy's Prokofievs, and A Little Night Music.)

Back