HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - BITCHES BREW [SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - BITCHES BREW

• Total voters
gotta love Life's ironies.. I just got it and unboxed it.. what a beauty... it PAINS me to get it out of the package.. those Japanese folks REALLY KNOW THEIR SHIT!!!
They even replicated the Quad gear blurb sheets!!! ..now.. WHERE THE HELL AM I GONNA PUT THOSE REALLY COOL STICKERS????
ON MY ASS????
sorry .. couldn't take it...too nice put on my lovely bee hind...
irony=.... still haven't received my '..ehem .. RECEIVER!!!!
how does it compare to the Robin Reel???has anyone done a freq spectrum comparison ???

This was just as fantastic as i had hoped!
I would say that this feels like an record made for surround.
It is not an easy listening disc so you really have to be in the right mood when you play it.
With the surround i would say it is not any problem to get into it.
Things are happening all the time that really makes you pay attention.
I have the MOFI sacd and from the first comparision i feel that the stereo track might be better on the MOFI disc.
But when comparing the quad to the MOFI-disc there is no question which one will win the battle.
I am propably never going to play the MOFI disc again as the QUAD really takes this record to an new level.

Hi. All

I got my copy the other day and eager to listen to it today WOW...
I call this a " Land Scape of Moving sound " I`ve had this Quad LP for a number of years and I have all was liked this LP but now it has gone to the next level.....
I give this a " 10 " from me...

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday! Different type of packaging ;) but I'm very pleased Sony released this. I enjoy the quad LP played through an Audionics Space-Image Composer (=Fosgate Tate) but I bought the LP used and even with some cleaning it has some pops & clicks. Listening to Bitches Brew on 4.0 SACD will be a treat.

It is definitely avant-garde music o_O I'm a huge Miles fan - traditional Miles, cool jazz Miles, fusion Miles, the works.

I plan on getting Sony Japan's quad Santana Lotus SACD soon. I'd love to see SJ release the quad mixes of the Big 4 Santana albums - S/T, Abraxas, III & Caravanserai. All 4 were fabulous SQ LP's. My biggest disappointment at the height of SACD was Sony sitting on the really great Columbia quad titles.

Last edited:
I'd love to see SJ release the quad mixes of the Big 4 Santana albums - S/T, Abraxas, III & Caravanserai. All 4 were fabulous SQ LP's. My biggest disappointment at the height of SACD was Sony sitting on the really great Columbia quad titles.

👍👍👍

They did do a few a good quad reissues in that series (Head Hunters, Ship Ahoy, 3+3, Blow By Blow etc), but I agree lots of missed opportunity (both Toys In The Attic and Cheap Thrills have better quad mixes than the new 5.1s Sony did).

I have almost all the Santana SQ LPs and I’m most eager for an SACD reissue of the first album. They’re all pretty incredible in quad though.

👍👍👍

They did do a few a good quad reissues in that series (Head Hunters, Ship Ahoy, 3+3, Blow By Blow etc), but I agree lots of missed opportunity (both Toys In The Attic and Cheap Thrills have better quad mixes than the new 5.1s Sony did).

I have almost all the Santana SQ LPs and I’m most eager for an SACD reissue of the first album. They’re all pretty incredible in quad though.

Actually, although it would be pricey as hell, there are SO many unreleased Santana QUADs it would almost pay for SONY Japan to do a box set...instead of 1 release at a time in that special 7" packaging!

Wow - I wasn't aware that those incredible Santana albums were available in quad; would love to get the first 3 at minimum on SACD if CDJapan ever decides to release them!!!

Back to the poly sleeve inserts used on Bitches Brew. Why didn't CDJapan use the same black paper sleeves used in the Jeff Beck releases? No issues with those whatsoever!

I've only had a chance to listen to Disc 1, but I'm highly impressed with the quad mix and overall fidelity. Really love the adventurous nature of the mix - the way Miles' trumpet echoes and swirls around the room is ridiculously fun to listen to. I'll delay voting until I listen to Disc 2, but I can definitely tell this is going to be one great listen whilst in an altered state, if you know what I mean!!!

10/10 on the mastering! Should be SOP with any HD release but it's not so this was refreshing to hear. Hindsight... The now very obvious high end eq boost someone did to the Q4 copy I had REALLY stands out as stepped on. It could be repaired a good amount but it's a completely moot point now. Probably just throw those files away.
This is just extremely well done. This album is even more of a monster now!

Last edited:
Wow! What a treat! Just when you think surround is dead a slow trickle of excellent releases (GN'R, Lennon) hit the market. I've read through the reviews and I don't have much to add. This is an excellent all-around release. It's a little pricey, but not so bad once you consider the excellent mix, sonics, packaging, and liner notes. This mix succeeds in the most important area which is it takes the album to the next level.

Album: 9.5
Mix: 9

As a reminder, there are still 5.1 sacds of Miles' In a Silent Way, which is like a soundtrack to an epiphany or moment of clarity. It's like the coda to the activity in Bitches Brew.

It's a very immersive and impressive mix, and must have been a bit of a shock when those familiar with the stereo mix had the equipment to play back the quad, very obvious differences even if you were only listening to the quad with stereo equipment.

The packaging is an eyeful, though as noted, wonky when it comes to the housing of the CD's themselves, though you gotta admit it's unique, innit (at least in my experience). The seminal Sony mini-box of the BB sessions was the source for the liner notes (I don't have it here, but probably all the photos, too), all of which are well chosen (Carlos Santana's homage and reminiscences of Miles are just about sublime). The 7-inch design of the package is just large enough to be attractive and not take up a lot of space (though if you're planning to play the discs back often, putting them in slim jewel cases is probably sensible).

In other words I love it in all respects, for it does sound faithful to the source tapes (listen close and see if you can't catch the many edits Miles and Teo decided on). Let's all pray for LIVE/EVIL and some other Sony quad titles begging for reissue (like the many Santana's) in the near future.

Given my health, it's really great something like this came along to put on full blast and hear in its full glory.

ED :rocks

It's a very immersive and impressive mix, and must have been a bit of a shock when those familiar with the stereo mix had the equipment to play back the quad, very obvious differences even if you were only listening to the quad with stereo equipment.

The packaging is an eyeful, though as noted, wonky when it comes to the housing of the CD's themselves, though you gotta admit it's unique, innit (at least in my experience). The seminal Sony mini-box of the BB sessions was the source for the liner notes (I don't have it here, but probably all the photos, too), all of which are well chosen (Carlos Santana's homage and reminiscences of Miles are just about sublime). The 7-inch design of the package is just large enough to be attractive and not take up a lot of space (though if you're planning to play the discs back often, putting them in slim jewel cases is probably sensible).

In other words I love it in all respects, for it does sound faithful to the source tapes (listen close and see if you can't catch the many edits Miles and Teo decided on). Let's all pray for LIVE/EVIL and some other Sony quad titles begging for reissue (like the many Santana's) in the near future.

Given my health, it's really great something like this came along to put on full blast and hear in its full glory.

VERY DOUBTFUL these BB QUAD Masters were EVER heard in this fidelity and discreteness with 70's SQ QUAD decoders. You'd have to be a fly on the wall during the BB unveiling in the studio to hear this measure of extraordinary DISCRETENESS.

Since Columbia/SONY have been one of the few majors to carefully store their QUAD treasures [likewise evidenced by their Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs] hopefully, SONY Japan and D~V will continue with their absolutely stellar QUAD SACD reissues.

Last edited:
A certain *fan* did a conversion (DVD-A, not regular DVD, if memory serves) that, to my ears, is not far removed sonically from this set but with important exceptions: less hiss and a more natural dynamic range (the only thing I needed to do was boost the bass). But you're right, in 1971 I don't think the decoders could have separated SQ well enough to get the discrete sound so wonderfully displayed here.

It's amazing what amateurs can now do with technology once they get a natural feel for the sound and what NOT to do, like de-hiss to the point of something sounding like it was thrown into a sonic black hole. It's also incredible what the legit owners of a master tape can do when they want to do it, as this package proves beyond any doubt.

I believe anyone who digs MC and passes this up has to hate jazz and/or Miles, can't imagine another reason for not investing.

What's even more amazing is the total lack of any hiss or other anomalies associated with recordings from this period. The QUAD masters were in pluperfect condition.

Well.. considering they are THAT old, yes, they are in VERY GOOD condition, sorry for not agreeing but I can hear the tape degradation, BUT, as I said, for being almost 50 years old they ARE in GREAT condition!!!
AND I LOOOOVE THIS LP!!! IT KICKS SOME SERIOUS ASS!!!
Basically was the first of its kind in its innovative approach to QUAD/MCH mixing!!!

VERY DOUBTFUL these BB QUAD Masters were EVER heard in this fidelity and discreteness with 70's SQ QUAD decoders.

Not just doubtful from those SQ decoders, more like impossible for an SQ decode to be fully discrete . From that era, only a Q4 reel would have fidelity approaching what's on this SACD.

Where can one find a complete list of Sony quad import SACD's in this series? I know about Lotus and I think I found a Jeff Beck 4.0 on cdjapan but is that all there is?

Where can one find a complete list of Sony quad import SACD's in this series? I know about Lotus and I think I found a Jeff Beck 4.0 on cdjapan but is that all there is?

MultiCh releases in this Sony Japan 7" packaging series afaik include...

Quad =

5 x Jeff Beck : Blow By Blow, Jeff Beck Group (Orange album), Beck Bogert & Appice, Rough & Ready, Wired.
1 x Miles Davis : Bitches Brew.
1 x Santana : Lotus.

5.1 =

1 x Carole King : Tapestry.
1 x Billy Joel : 52nd Street.

Back