AnyDVD Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

Has anyone been able to do a comparison of the AnyDVD vs MakeMKV methods of ripping to see if there is any discernible quality difference between the 2, perhaps one method creates files that are more compressed than the other, etc.?

Thanks

Has anyone been able to do a comparison of the AnyDVD vs MakeMKV methods of ripping to see if there is any discernible quality difference between the 2, perhaps one method creates files that are more compressed than the other, etc.?

I have not discerned a difference after trying both methods. (Just listening... not analyzing any graphs or waves, etc)

MakeMKV copies the selected digital audio (and video) streams and puts them in an MKV wrapper after removing the disc protection. There is no ‘conversion’ of any stream.

MMH and Audiomuxer convert their selected audio to lossless FLAC. If you select a lossless format (DTS-HDMA or TrueHD, Atmos etc) the conversion is lossless.

OK, I am ready to start getting ready to rip my DVD-A, DTS, and BD-A collection. For now I would just like to prepare.
My player will be my JRiver 24. I have everything able to work off a direct Ethernet connection.
What should I purchase first?
Gos says he uses this Ripper.
Then what software?
When you rip a surround of these formats do you also have the onscreen menu? or just get the stereo or surround ripped?

OK, I am ready to start getting ready to rip my DVD-A, DTS, and BD-A collection. For now I would just like to prepare.
Then what software?

You can either do this completely for free, but with more steps, or using a paid-for program (that's more than worth the money IMO) that's a lot simpler.

DVD-A:
DVD-Audio Extractor ($35)- will rip to a variety of file types, lets you type in metadata tags which is (y)
OR
DVD-A Explorer (free)- rips the .MLP tracks straight out of the DVD-A. You have to use another program (AudioMuxer, Foobar, etc) to convert them to .FLAC and tag.

DTS/Dolby DVD:
DVD-Audio Extractor (as mentioned above)
OR
AudioMuxer (free)- will extract dts/dolby streams from DVD and convert to a variety of formats.

Blu-Ray:
MakeMKV (free- this is required to remove copy protection)- rips either the entire blu-ray disc to a big folder, or lets you pick individual audio/video stream
DVD-Audio Extractor (as mentioned above)
OR
AudioMuxer (also mentioned above)

**the MakeMKV step is CRITICAL for ripping blu-rays. If you try to rip directly from the disc with any of these programs it will not work because of copy protection**

When you rip a surround of these formats do you also have the onscreen menu? or just get the stereo or surround ripped?

I just rip the surround tracks to .FLAC

May the force be with you, my friend :)

My player will be my JRiver 24. I have everything able to work off a direct Ethernet connection.
What should I purchase first?
Gos says he uses this Ripper.
Then what software?

And, here is that same player from Newegg for much less I believe...in fact, I think that's where I bought mine.

newegg

I use the paid version of DVDAE as mentioned above, but I also pay for AnyDVD, which removes copyright protection. For Blurays, DD DVDs, and DTS DVDs, AnyDVD runs in the background, and you simply insert your disc and open DVDAE... easy! For DVD-A discs, you disable AnyDVD before inserting your disc, then run DVDAE... easy!

This method is faster than the MakeMKV method, but you’ll have to learn that method as well for the occasional disc that just can’t be ripped any other way!

You can either do this completely for free, but with more steps, or using a paid-for program (that's more than worth the money IMO) that's a lot simpler.

DVD-A:
DVD-Audio Extractor ($35)- will rip to a variety of file types, lets you type in metadata tags which is (y)
OR
DVD-A Explorer (free)- rips the .MLP tracks straight out of the DVD-A. You have to use another program (AudioMuxer, Foobar, etc) to convert them to .FLAC and tag.

I'm really surprised that Foobar2000 doesn't get mentioned more often for this. It's free, as is the DVD-A plugin. Personally, I find the interface intuitive, but it may just be that it's very familiar after more years than I'd care to think about. I find MP3Tag clunky in comparison, but I mention that not to criticize MP3Tag but rather to allow anyone reading this to quickly draw conclusions regarding my intelligence and/or sanity.

I'm really surprised that Foobar2000 doesn't get mentioned more often for this. It's free, as is the DVD-A plugin.

You mean just opening the DVD-A disc directly on Foobar, then right clicking to do a quick convert to .FLAC? That does work, but I stopped using it because I'd either have to manually add the tags in file explorer or use MP3tag. I like DVDAE because it lets you type in the tag info first.

I use Foobar to play everything back (love the visualizations and customization options) and to convert SACD ISOs or .DSF to .FLAC.

You mean just opening the DVD-A disc directly on Foobar, then right clicking to do a quick convert to .FLAC? That does work, but I stopped using it because I'd either have to manually add the tags in file explorer or use MP3tag. I like DVDAE because it lets you type in the tag info first.

You can type in the tags before doing the conversion. Foobar stores them...uhhh...somewhere. Obviously it can't write to the DVD, but if you put in a DVD-A, provide the tags, eject the disc and put it back in you'll see your tags again. And they'll be written to any output files you create.

If you use the MusicBrainz tagging plugin in Foobar you can enter the Artist and Album names and get the track info added automatically.

Same using Music Media Helper (MMH). Additionally, MMH will accept a text file list of tracks and auto tag and renumber tracks. So you can copy and paste an album ( or concert) track list from any website (copy the list) and effectively ‘paste’ the entire list in a single command.

With these apps and methods you never have to manually enter any track tags, just add comments etc.

If you use the MusicBrainz tagging plugin in Foobar you can enter the Artist and Album names and get the track info added automatically.

Same using Music Media Helper (MMH). Additionally, MMH will accept a text file list of tracks and auto tag and renumber tracks. So you can copy and paste an album ( or concert) track list from any website (copy the list) and effectively ‘paste’ the entire list in a single command.

With these apps and methods you never have to manually enter any track tags, just add comments etc.
Holy crap Garry. I really need to use your helper. I'm a little slow to change.....you know...I get set in my ways. Etc...
So, MMH will work with any method we may already use?

I use Foobar, DVD-A Extractor and Passkey for Bluray, DVD-A/V. I use my Oppo for SACD. Sometimes, but not often I resort to MakeMKV and Audiomuxer if Extractor doesn't work.

I admit, that often (especially for newer releases) I am manually typing stuff in all the time......

Holy crap Garry. I really need to use your helper. I'm a little slow to change.....you know...I get set in my ways. Etc...
So, MMH will work with any method we may already use?

I use Foobar, DVD-A Extractor and Passkey for Bluray, DVD-A/V. I use my Oppo for SACD. Sometimes, but not often I resort to MakeMKV and Audiomuxer if Extractor doesn't work.

I admit, that often (especially for newer releases) I am manually typing stuff in all the time......

To help with this surround/music audio obsession/hobby I have
1539119444175.png
on my PC, (BTW don't use Faasoft's FLAC to DTS convertor I found it generates way too many audio errors, so a burbling brook sound) and I tend to just run MakeMKV and then Garry's MMH. MMH makes life so much simpler, its basically just a few clicks!

1539119367166.png

And, here is that same player from Newegg for much less I believe...in fact, I think that's where I bought mine.

newegg

OK, first step purchased the Pioneer.
Then if I am following this correctly the next step is:
DVD-Audio Extractor ($35)- will rip to a variety of file types, lets you type in metadata tags which is (y) .
Keep in mind I will be using JRiver, not Foobar.
Then adding this: Music Media Helper (MMH). Additionally, MMH will accept a text file list of tracks and auto tag and renumber tracks. So you can copy and paste an album ( or concert) track list from any website (copy the list) and effectively ‘paste’ the entire list in a single command.
When I did the SACD rips, they all came out tagged and ready to go. Not so with the other formats? Looks like there is a bigger concern with tagging?
If there are different resolutions and stereo vs MCH how does the DVD Audio Extractor Know what I want?
Getting there?

OK, first step purchased the Pioneer.
Then if I am following this correctly the next step is:
DVD-Audio Extractor ($35)- will rip to a variety of file types, lets you type in metadata tags which is (y) .
Keep in mind I will be using JRiver, not Foobar.
Then adding this: Music Media Helper (MMH). Additionally, MMH will accept a text file list of tracks and auto tag and renumber tracks. So you can copy and paste an album ( or concert) track list from any website (copy the list) and effectively ‘paste’ the entire list in a single command.
When I did the SACD rips, they all came out tagged and ready to go. Not so with the other formats? Looks like there is a bigger concern with tagging?
If there are different resolutions and stereo vs MCH how does the DVD Audio Extractor Know what I want?
Getting there?
This is from the Bob Marley Legend BD-A MKV I still have on my PC. So click on Open MKV File, Clicked on Split MKV to FLAC and it came up with these options. Select what you want to convert to FLAC.

1539120410500.png

You should also add MakeMKV to decrypt blu-ray and DVDV. This will make an MKV file (digital copy of the audio and video streams, if any). MMH can split the MKV files into individual MKV s (one per chapter/track) or directly convert to FLAC any individual tracks and can tag and rename based on either a search for the Artist and Album or by copying a text list of tracks.

The track list can be copied from a web page into a text file (notepad etc). You can clean up the text file, remove unwanted characters etc, then select all the text and in MMH use the paste option to rename all the files.

You should also add MakeMKV to decrypt blu-ray and DVDV. This will make an MKV file (digital copy of the audio and video streams, if any). MMH can split the MKV files into individual MKV s (one per chapter/track) or directly convert to FLAC any individual tracks and can tag and rename based on either a search for the Artist and Album or by copying a text list of tracks.

The track list can be copied from a web page into a text file (notepad etc). You can clean up the text file, remove unwanted characters etc, then select all the text and in MMH use the paste option to rename all the files.

That looks easy Homer. thanks.
Makemkv and dvdae
I assume I can clean up tags on JRiver also if need be.

That looks easy Homer. thanks.
Makemkv and dvdae
I assume I can clean up tags on JRiver also if need be.

I assume so. I use Tagscanner to do some fix ups, add album covers and it does some bulk renaming of files using user defined rules. It’s quite useful.

But start with MakeMKV, DVDAE and MMH and you’ll be mostly there.

Back