Bandcamp - 5.1 surround music releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that Bandcamp doesn't allow 5.1 downloads. The issue is that they are only setup at present to host a single set of master files for an album. That doesn't work for those of us looking to sell a single album in all formats vs. the major label SOP of selling different formats for different prices and as individual products (with the surround version always the most expensive).

You could upload only the 5.1 FLAC files to Bandcamp and that would go over pretty well around here but the average listener with only stereo equipment isn't going to be very pleased. You could let their format converter autopilot fold them down to stereo but again, blowing off the stereo master like that isn't appropriate.

So that lead to the SOP of including a download link to privately hosted copies in the form of a text file with a link for the Bandcamp "bonus item" that comes with your download.

It looks for all the world to me that Bandcamp is more interested in honest distribution than the greedy practices mentioned and they simply haven't caught up to handling multiple formats that require separate masters like stereo vs. surround. I contacted Bandcamp a while ago about this and they applauded the idea FYI. (ie. the bonus item link) Looks like I need to look up surroundmusic.com though.

I had the pleasure of spinning Uphollow - Jackets for the Trip recently. I can't recommend it enough.
It seems as though there is some overlap between Uphollow and Ian Cooke Band. As much as I like the Ian Cooke Band output, like Fall I Fell and Antiquasauria, I like this even more. Musically, that is. It is a really good mix, but Ian O is currently doing great things with the Ian Cooke Band mixes. (y)
I definitely recommend picking up Jackets for the Trip and checking it out. (y)

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of spinning Uphollow - Jackets for the Trip recently. I can't recommend it enough.
It seems as though there is some overlap between Uphollow and Ian Cooke Band. As much as I like the Ian Cooke Band output, like Fall I Fell and Antiquasauria, I like this even more. I definitely recommend picking it up and checking it out. (y)

I have it too, and it's good.

John Hickey - The Storm Tree Suite

https://johnhickey.bandcamp.com/album/the-storm-tree-suite

From subtle passages to epic soundscapes the music crosses genres and styles.

With references to artists such as Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, U137, A Winged Victory for the Sullen and countless film scores, John creates a unique and unusual sound.

"A Slowly Hypnotic and mesmerizing Journey through Minimalistic Music At Its Best"

5.1 available at Surroundmusic.one:

https://surroundmusic.one/album/storm-tree-suite/

Going to add a mention of my new electronic music release on Bandcamp, with a quad surround mix available (done via the text file download bonus link method mentioned above).

https://jeffsnyder.bandcamp.com/album/sunspots

"restless, endless, somehow obscene—feels so hideously wrong that, ultimately, it’s marvelously right."

"Disc 1 lures the listener in with wigged-out, funhouse roughage before Disc 2 prescribes intensive, cranial massage therapy."

Two free flac downloads by Velcrocranes, available now here .

These are mixes done for them recently by Bruce Soord. The music is on the heavier but atmospheric side of Prog, a bit like Riverside or some of Opeth's mellower stuff and the mix is what you would expect from Bruce - high quality, discrete and complimentary to the music. There's a .iso for DVD burning too, though I haven't tried this.

These are mixes done for them recently by Bruce Soord. The music is on the heavier but atmospheric side of Prog, a bit like Riverside or some of Opeth's mellower stuff and the mix is what you would expect from Bruce - high quality, discrete and complimentary to the music. There's a .iso for DVD burning too, though I haven't tried this.

Wow, thanks for these.
Quick, easy download, dropped them on a thumb drive, playing now on the X800.

Sound great, kudos to the Velcrocranes.

Thanks for the tip. I threw them a couple bones for the stereo mix.

These 2 tracks do sound outstanding...man. And free? Or, are there more songs in surround for a fee??

Nope, that's all there is, two songs, sixteen minutes of music.
Like an EP.

The surround is free, but anybody with a heart would chip in the "name your price" kitty.
Bruce Soord mixed 5.1, own it and play it before you pay for it, can't beat a deal like that.

:51QQ

Nope, that's all there is, two songs, sixteen minutes of music.
Like an EP.

The surround is free, but anybody with a heart would chip in the "name your price" kitty.
Bruce Soord mixed 5.1, own it and play it before you pay for it, can't beat a deal like that.

:51QQ
Well, I wasn't about to pay for something that was only part of something larger. But, if those 2 tracks are it......I will gladly pay.

I love jazz pianist Myra Melford. Some people might regard her composing as quirky or cerebral, even a bit "outside," but I think it also swings like hell. I've also seen her play many times, as both a leader and a sidewoman, and her performances are always intense and grounded and full of joy. Anyway: she did a residency at John Zorn's musician-centered venue The Stone a couple of years ago--the old one on the Lower East Side, not the spiffy new incarnation at The New School in the Village--and it rocked. (It featured her in a wide variety of partnerships and ensembles, and she documented it on her YouTube channel.)

Now Nick Lloyd of Firehouse 12 Records--he's also worked with "New Music" stars like David Lang and Bryce Dressner and Nico Muhly--has mixed a selection of performances from the residency in 5.1 for a new Blu Ray, 12 from 25, due out on December 1st. Apart from another Blu Ray on Firehouse 12 by avant-garde composer Anthony Braxton, I don't know what else Lloyd has mixed in surround. But I'm planning to be first in line for this new one!

I love jazz pianist Myra Melford. Some people might regard her composing as quirky or cerebral, even a bit "outside," but I think it also swings like hell. I've also seen her play many times, as both a leader and a sidewoman, and her performances are always intense and grounded and full of joy. Anyway: she did a residency at John Zorn's musician-centered venue The Stone a couple of years ago--the old one on the Lower East Side, not the spiffy new incarnation at The New School in the Village--and it rocked. (It featured her in a wide variety of partnerships and ensembles, and she documented it on her YouTube channel.)

Now Nick Lloyd of Firehouse 12 Records--he's also worked with "New Music" stars like David Lang and Bryce Dressner and Nico Muhly--has mixed a selection of performances from the residency in 5.1 for a new Blu Ray, 12 from 25, due out on December 1st. Apart from another Blu Ray on Firehouse 12 by avant-garde composer Anthony Braxton, I don't know what else Lloyd has mixed in surround. But I'm planning to be first in line for this new one!

humprof, please keep us informed when the BD~V 5.1 is released. Sounds INTENSE!

I wish they'd release some of Pulitzer Prize winner John Zorn's recordings in 5.1 or even hi res stereo SACD.

Last edited:
Found a new title today, added to the release list, haven't listened yet:

Garry Havrillay – Aurora (dtsCD) 2018/10/22

Thanks for the mention haikubass. I've flagged this as electronic/deep ambience/glitch music.

There'll be another album coming in the near future, of 5.1 remixes of pieces dating back to 1994. Obviously these are works that I've been able to recover and multitrack from the workstations I used at the time, with a couple of new pieces and revisions too; global sounds and eclectic influences. I'll also make this available as a DTS CD because Bandcamp still doesn't cater for any suitable surround-friendly format.

I'd be interested to know if Bandcamp users would be happy downloading DTS WAV files (44kHz-16 bit CD-ready). There would obviously need to be BIG BOLD instructions insisting that everyone chooses the WAV format when downloading, because any derivative format (AAC, MP3 etc) would be unplayable/undecodable.

I'd love to hear your collective thoughts on this. It would avoid mailing CDs across the world, but the risk is that someone/somewhere might think the files were playable on normal stereo gear.

Back