What are the rarest NON-Sony 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good lord this is rare!!! :love:
do you have Tarmac "Notre Epoque"?

Tarmac is one of my favorite records. The same goes for Scorpion's "Moment of Glory".
Both offer great music with a perfect surround mix. Overwhelming!

Tarmaq-Scorpions-Cover-small.jpg

Tarmaq-Scorpions-Back-Cover-small.jpg

Tarmac is one of my favorite records. The same goes for Scorpion's "Moment of Glory".
Both offer great music with a perfect surround mix. Overwhelming!

View attachment 36227

View attachment 36228

now i'm overwhelmed!!! :eek:
that is just... amazing!! drool drool :p
we all know about the Scorpions but that Tarmac disc is seriously scarce!!! (one came up on Discogs about 5 years ago and when I leapt on it the French seller pulled out with some cock & bull story about losing it! i didn't report them i'm not like that but really it was so disappointing, if they'd had a change of heart on price i would've considered negotiating because put simply that's as close as I've come to finding one in the last 10 years.).

of the rare Sony's, i'm presuming you have Frank Galan's "Promesas"?
(another i can't find for love nor money but i do know 3 people in this hobby each with a copy which gives me hope of maybe still tracking one down someday!)

now i'm overwhelmed!!! :eek:
that is just... amazing!! drool drool :p
we all know about the Scorpions but that Tarmac disc is seriously scarce!!! (one came up on Discogs about 5 years ago and when I leapt on it the French seller pulled out with some cock & bull story about losing it! i didn't report them i'm not like that but really it was so disappointing, if they'd had a change of heart on price i would've considered negotiating because put simply that's as close as I've come to finding one in the last 10 years.).

of the rare Sony's, i'm presuming you have Frank Galan's "Promesas"?
(another i can't find for love nor money but i do know 3 people in this hobby each with a copy which gives me hope of maybe still tracking one down someday!)

Unfortunately, I only have the Promesas SACD as a copy on a SACD-R. A good friend of mine owns the original disc and he ripped the iso file. Nice music, therefore I still try to get the original edition.

Not Frank Galan's "Promesas", but here is another rare edition from The Netherlands: Lee Tower's Legendary Gala of the Year. It is a double SACD of a concert in Rotterdam in October 2000.

Lee Towers-front_back-small.jpg

Lee Towers_SACD1-small.jpg

Lee Towers_SACD2-small.jpg

Not Frank Galan's "Promesas", but here is another rare edition from The Netherlands: Lee Tower's Legendary Gala of the Year. It is a double SACD of a concert in Rotterdam in October 2000.

View attachment 36240

View attachment 36241
View attachment 36242

now that is rare! :love:
I've missed out on this twice in the last 8-9 years, once I just wouldn't pay what they wanted for it and the other time more recently I hummed and hawed about it and by the time I decided its been years looking for it cheap without success and be done with it, it had gone! ha! :p
anyhoo, enough of my boring SACD life stories! many thanks for posting the pics! is the surround mix on the SACD the same as on the video?

Reactions: e28
now that is rare! :love:
I've missed out on this twice in the last 8-9 years, once I just wouldn't pay what they wanted for it and the other time more recently I hummed and hawed about it and by the time I decided its been years looking for it cheap without success and be done with it, it had gone! ha! :p
anyhoo, enough of my boring SACD life stories! many thanks for posting the pics! is the surround mix on the SACD the same as on the video?

Thank you Adam, I think we all can tell our stories about how hard it was to chase individual rarities.
Unfortunately I do not have the DVDs of the Lee Towers concert, so I can not compare. The 5.1 mix of both SACDs gives the space of the huge Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam very well. It's a live concert. The music comes from the stage, but spreads to the rear speakers depending on the orchestra and choir use. From the back, however, comes mostly the active audience. It's an attractive concert, especially for a dull Sunday afternoon.
Max

hi JonUrban and all at QQ :hi
is there any interest in similar threads for pics and discussion of other formats such as; Blu-ray Audio, DTS CD, DualDisc, DVD-Audio?
(if so i'll get onto taking pics this coming week)

You have the power, Adam, you have the power. Make it so.

In the below scan, on the gold color sticker, it proclaims this SACD to be the first 5.1 multi-channel SACD from mainland China. The album is by Buren Bayaer and the album's titled "The Sun, The Moon, And The Stars". The music? Basically, Mongolian cowboy songs. The SACD was pressed by Sonopress in Germany. Mr. Bayaer died in September 2018 of a heart attack at the age of 58.

2077057917_d5f0156965.jpg

Some truly great stuff, you guys!

I got the Harrison in Japan as part of the box set the Dark Horse Years. Sadly, the only SACD's in the box are the live in Japan album. The other 5 are RBCD.

I bought all the Alison Krauss SACD's. Did they have to jam both live SACD's into a single case? It's a good thing these are non-contact surfaces, otherwise I fear that I would have worn out "Baby, Now that I Found You." I couldn't begin to count how many times I played this track.

I bought the Frankie Goes to Hollywood sealed from UK when it was new. Recommended.

Other rare titles I recommend are:
Liberation - Hugh Masakela
Come On In This House - Junior Wells (RIP) Prior to the SACD, I had a DTS CD of this.
Rendevoux - Chick Corea

I'm kicking myself for not ordering that Holdworth SACD. It was in my cart one day at Tower and I opted out, since I was already dropping HUNDRED$$. Mistake.

Finally, I saw Guitar Shorty live and was absolutely blown away. (Caveat: ther's another guy calling himself that.) IMHO, John Lee Williamson was the REAL Sonny Boy, not Rice Miller. This is the REAL Guitar Shorty on SACD.

Guitar Shorty strolled through the audience in Grant Park at Chicago Blues Fest while singing and playing guitar! He also did somersaults on stage while playing his guitar. Just like Rahsaan Roland Kirk or Hendrix, his playing isn't just a freak act, the man can play. Shorty claimed to have mentored Hendrix, who picked up a few tricks from him.

Some truly great stuff, you guys!

I got the Harrison in Japan as part of the box set the Dark Horse Years. Sadly, the only SACD's in the box are the live in Japan album. The other 5 are RBCD.

I bought all the Alison Krauss SACD's. Did they have to jam both live SACD's into a single case? It's a good thing these are non-contact surfaces, otherwise I fear that I would have worn out "Baby, Now that I Found You." I couldn't begin to count how many times I played this track.

I bought the Frankie Goes to Hollywood sealed from UK when it was new. Recommended.

Other rare titles I recommend are:
Liberation - Hugh Masakela
Come On In This House - Junior Wells (RIP) Prior to the SACD, I had a DTS CD of this.
Rendevoux - Chick Corea

I'm kicking myself for not ordering that Holdworth SACD. It was in my cart one day at Tower and I opted out, since I was already dropping HUNDRED$$. Mistake.

Finally, I saw Guitar Shorty live and was absolutely blown away. (Caveat: ther's another guy calling himself that.) IMHO, John Lee Williamson was the REAL Sonny Boy, not Rice Miller. This is the REAL Guitar Shorty on SACD.

Guitar Shorty strolled through the audience in Grant Park at Chicago Blues Fest while singing and playing guitar! He also did somersaults on stage while playing his guitar. Just like Rahsaan Roland Kirk or Hendrix, his playing isn't just a freak act, the man can play. Shorty claimed to have mentored Hendrix, who picked up a few tricks from him.
Hi Linda.....How is Rendevoux - Chick Corea and if you have it David Gilmore Live @ Pompeii.....I just picked up both today on super cheap deals $14.99 for Corea and just under $30 for Gilmore the 4 disc super set. Also why arent any of these listed in the surround polls?

there is indeed and it is on my shopping list!
however i am waiting til one comes up super cheap (which hasn't happened in the last however many years) since it anecdotally sounds like a load of old tripe being sieved through a sock, so would purely be for the collection rather than for playing! :ROFLMAO:
"sounds like a load of old tripe being sieved through a sock". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back