Dvd Audio Extractor Question or 2?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Just the opposite. It's the 48/24 'core' that always comes along for the ride, and could always be decoded. There was no full DTS 96/24 (or other extension of DTS) by DVD Audio Extractor decoding prior to the April 2017 release. Audiomuxer was the same story until July 2016.

I think we're both right because--and this is entirely my fault--we're talking about two different things. I, at my own peril, keep forgetting that lots and lots of people (maybe even the majority) decode the DTS to PCM as part of their process. I'm sure that in that context you're absolutely correct.

I, on the other hand, have always just "wrapped" the undecoded DTS in FLAC and I'm pretty sure that anything that could read the DTS stream would give me 9624 where it exists. I think any first-generation DTS-capable DVD player could pass DTS9624 to a decoder because, as far as I've ever heard, the players (assuming they're just passing the bitstream and not handling the decoding) didn't need to be updgraded/updated when 9624 came along.

OK, all my DTS discs are ripped and all play great, except Don Henley, End Of Innocence track 1 is static. Tomorrow I'll re-rip track 1 and hope.

I was hoping I could rip the Marvin Gaye Collection and the Sting Brand New Day discs with the Foobar DTS protocol after failing with the DVD-A protocol. But these two disc are un-rippable to me.

Sorry. I was replying to this one and didn’t realise there were other posts.

I was hoping I could rip the Marvin Gaye Collection and the Sting Brand New Day discs with the Foobar DTS protocol after failing with the DVD-A protocol. But these two disc are un-rippable to me.

Since you brought it up, I have been unable to rip The Marvin Gaye Collection with DVDAE using any codec or demux. DVDAE "sees" it as LPCM 44.1kHz, 24-bit.

I think we're both right because--and this is entirely my fault--we're talking about two different things. I, at my own peril, keep forgetting that lots and lots of people (maybe even the majority) decode the DTS to PCM as part of their process. I'm sure that in that context you're absolutely correct.

I, on the other hand, have always just "wrapped" the undecoded DTS in FLAC and I'm pretty sure that anything that could read the DTS stream would give me 9624 where it exists. I think any first-generation DTS-capable DVD player could pass DTS9624 to a decoder because, as far as I've ever heard, the players (assuming they're just passing the bitstream and not handling the decoding) didn't need to be updgraded/updated when 9624 came along.

Correct, the key word in my post was 'decoding', which I should have made more explicit.

DVDAE could always rip (direct demux) a 96/24 track *undecoded*, to a .dts file, for as long as I've used it. And I too would always then wrap the .dts file in a wav/flac wrapper, in order to be able to tag it.

When ripping DTS 96/24 sources from now on I'll probably just decode to a 96/24 PCM file, because storage is cheap and because it's more 'portable ' than the oddball wav/flac-wrapped .dts format -- there's less worry about whether it will play on various systems.

OK, I have the BD-A rips working perfectly using MKV and music media helper. It is the most time consuming per disc then all the other format rips.
Two Questions:
1. Can I run (MKV ripping) and (MMH tagging) at the same time? Would save about 5 mins per disc if they both finished at the same time.
2. I am so far just ripping the 5.1 dts hd-mstr of each disc. Do you typically rip all, the 5.1 and stereo, the extras? Some Blu Rays have a lot of variations. I was thinking of the 5.1 and stereo only?
I notice some QQer's like one version in 5.1 vs the other and I just seem to stick with dts-hd mastr.

1. Yes you can. But you can’t convert an MKV file in MMH until the file is 100% created.

If you have two drives best to rip to one and convert to other unless you have a single SSD drive in which case use that (SSD = Solid State Drive these can be up to 20 times faster than conventional hard drives).

2. I only ever do the 5.1 to FLAC. I don’t listen to stereo if I have a 5.1 version but I know others here that do everything. I also usually do any music videos or live concert videos (if any) to MKV too.

Edit: Always select the lossless track. In theory there should be no difference between LPCM, DTS-HDMA and TrueHD (assuming same bit depth and sample rate), but some prefer LPCM because it hasn’t been encoded.

Last edited:
Edit: Always select the lossless track. In theory there should be no difference between LPCM, DTS-HDMA and TrueHD (assuming same bit depth and sample rate), but some prefer LPCM because it hasn’t been encoded.

I always select LPCM if it's there on the assumption that it's faster to go from PCM to FLAC rather than from [proprietary codec] to PCM to FLAC. But I wonder if that's a bad assumption. I should put a stopwatch on it some time.

2. I am so far just ripping the 5.1 dts hd-mstr of each disc. Do you typically rip all, the 5.1 and stereo, the extras? Some Blu Rays have a lot of variations. I was thinking of the 5.1 and stereo only?
I notice some QQer's like one version in 5.1 vs the other and I just seem to stick with dts-hd mastr.
that is entirely up to you and what you want to accomplish. I rip it all, and just move the stuff I am not using at the moment to offline storage.
If a source contains say DTS 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, 48k Stereo and 96k stereo, the DTS and 48 go offline and the DTS-HD MA and 96k stay online.

that is entirely up to you and what you want to accomplish. I rip it all, and just move the stuff I am not using at the moment to offline storage.
If a source contains say DTS 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, 48k Stereo and 96k stereo, the DTS and 48 go offline and the DTS-HD MA and 96k stay online.

I understand. Seems smart, ripping it all, well I guess I am at a crossroads. Lets take a Steven Wilson Yes Blu Ray, there is a ridiculous amount of stuff, stereo, needle drops, 5.1 new, 4.0 old, I didn't listen to all that then and probably not now. I think what I will start doing is ripping the 5.1 DTS-HD mstr and the stereo. I am still on the fence about selling the discs after the rips. I definately are not ripping to sell, it is for ease of use first and foremost. On my way to rip Farewell To Kings right now. I wake up ripping and go to bed ripping, getting sick of it.

I understand. Seems smart, ripping it all, well I guess I am at a crossroads. Lets take a Steven Wilson Yes Blu Ray, there is a ridiculous amount of stuff, stereo, needle drops, 5.1 new, 4.0 old, I didn't listen to all that then and probably not now. I think what I will start doing is ripping the 5.1 DTS-HD mstr and the stereo. I am still on the fence about selling the discs after the rips. I definately are not ripping to sell, it is for ease of use first and foremost. On my way to rip Farewell To Kings right now. I wake up ripping and go to bed ripping, getting sick of it.
I'll put my 2 cents in. 95% of the time, I only rip the multi-channel. If it's a title I really like.....I mean...REALLY like, say from one of my favorite bands, I might take the time to rip all the contents (never video though). I don't worry one second that in the future I may consider selling my physical copies, even knowing I only ripped the multi-channel. I just don't worry about that. Life is too short to be bothered with that. :)

I'll put my 2 cents in. 95% of the time, I only rip the multi-channel. If it's a title I really like.....I mean...REALLY like, say from one of my favorite bands, I might take the time to rip all the contents (never video though). I don't worry one second that in the future I may consider selling my physical copies, even knowing I only ripped the multi-channel. I just don't worry about that. Life is too short to be bothered with that. :)

Thanks for grounding me Gene, I get spun sometimes.

Here is a Yes example.
Close To The Edge (2003 Remaster) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 DTS 5.1 Mix, 24-48) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 DTS HD MA 5.1 Mix, 24-48) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 LPCM 5.1 Mix, 24-96) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 Remaster) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 Stereo Instrumental Mix, 24-96) [1972]
Close To The Edge (2013 Stereo Mix, 24-96) [1972]
Close To The Edge (A1-B1 UK Vinyl Transfer, 24-96) [1972]
Close To The Edge (Alternate Album, 24-96) [1972]
Close To The Edge (Flat Transfer From Original Master, 24-192) [1972]
Close To The Edge (Single Versions & Edits, 24-96) [1972]
You can guess what I have online versus offline.

You can see I these are using my older naming convention. Now I drop Hz unless necessary and put 5.1/Quad before the format and Stereo after it.

Thanks for grounding me Gene, I get spun sometimes.
I rip the 5.1 using unencoded LPCM if available (if not, then one of the DTS/Dolby lossless codecs). I also rip the highest res stereo version with new mixes usually taking priority over the originals. Sometimes I compare the stereo to the 5.1. Sometimes I compare the faux surround stereo to the 5.1. With the music ripped, its easy to make such a comparison. And its a major perk to having a ripped collection for me. Beyond that, there are other places in the house where music is played that are only stereo capable, and I don't trust fold downs. Also, if I want to play the music in my car or boat, it needs to be stereo. So its a simple matter to copy/down sample/convert the FLAC tracks to what I need. If you've recently bought a new car you may have noticed CD players are becoming a rarity lately. So stereo files copied to a USB thumb drive is the order of the day,

All that being said.... if you have no use for the stereo tracks... don't bother.

I only rip bonus stuff that I'm interested in. Like, the bonus stiff from Pepper didn't do much for me. But the bonus stuff from the Tull releases, especially Aqualung, was really good... and a lot of it was in 5.1.

Don't sweat it. You can always go back and re-rip something you missed but feel you need.

If somehow a certain disk might be leaving your possession and you want to keep a true copy, it might be best to save a full ISO along with ripping the tracks.

I rip the 5.1 using unencoded LPCM if available (if not, then one of the DTS/Dolby lossless codecs). I also rip the highest res stereo version with new mixes usually taking priority over the originals. Sometimes I compare the stereo to the 5.1. Sometimes I compare the faux surround stereo to the 5.1. With the music ripped, its easy to make such a comparison. And its a major perk to having a ripped collection for me. Beyond that, there are other places in the house where music is played that are only stereo capable, and I don't trust fold downs. Also, if I want to play the music in my car or boat, it needs to be stereo. So its a simple matter to copy/down sample/convert the FLAC tracks to what I need. If you've recently bought a new car you may have noticed CD players are becoming a rarity lately. So stereo files copied to a USB thumb drive is the order of the day,

All that being said.... if you have no use for the stereo tracks... don't bother.

I only rip bonus stuff that I'm interested in. Like, the bonus stiff from Pepper didn't do much for me. But the bonus stuff from the Tull releases, especially Aqualung, was really good... and a lot of it was in 5.1.

Don't sweat it. You can always go back and re-rip something you missed but feel you need.

If somehow a certain disk might be leaving your possession and you want to keep a true copy, it might be best to save a full ISO along with ripping the tracks.

I wonder what is the best software specifically for ISO Blu-ray and DVD playback with full menus? Kodi comes close. Sadly, menus don't work for every disc, but you can browse the individual titles.

Back