What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like weird discs Adam, is this fun to listen to? I see it is available in SACD more expensive and DVD-A less expensive. Your recommendation?

from a strictly showing off 5.1 pov it is rather fun, all channels are used aggressively (drums in the rears abound!).. as to whether its musically terribly worthwhile, well its no Dark Side Of The Moon.. but then its no Loony Tunes (or whatever that Warner Bros DVD-Audio release was with like Bugs Bunny sound effects and stuff on it!) "ehhhh.. whats up schmuck?" i hear you cry!
well.. its fun for a fiddle... and not much else.. and err.. "that's all (i have to say about this disc!) folks!" :ROFLMAO:

(ps. just in case anybody cares! Markie was asking about the Dr.Chesky Magnificent, Fabulous, Absurd & Insane 5.1 flying circusssss disc! :p )

Poulenc - Concerto For Organ (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

pFitBt6.jpeg

tRcQgQo.jpeg

3RlGG2v.jpeg

Dolby Laboratories Presents..
5.1 For Real : A DVD-Audio Sampler

now this one's got much more surround potential!
its a sampler i can find no further info online about at this time, maybe you guys have it or know it already but i'd never seen or heard of it before?

from a quick glance at the liner notes last night, it purports to have (what were at the time of release in 2002) several unreleased 5.1 mixes. there are a few known names in the 5.1 world involved, including John Kellogg (the original Rhino Brain Salad Surgery 5.1) and Paul Klingberg (Earth Wind & Fire Gratitude 5.1 SACD).

we shall see..

F6dJVa5.jpeg

aYnyOW9.jpeg

VegbHX5.jpeg

f539sGH.jpeg

just a couple of quick things to say about this disc..

1.) haven't had a chance to run it through the computeramabob yet but from what I could make out the SACD channels may be mapped out as 4-channel FL/FR/SL/SR with seemingly no faux Centre or any of that 'jazz' (how much of a problem this may cause some people's AVRs/Processors/DACs/Player setups I don't know),
2.) the surround mix is pretty nice, akin to the CBS U.S. earlier style, very discrete with regard to front-back separation, with distinct stuff happening in the Rears (with quite a bit of silence back there too.. accompanied by a bit of tape hiss.. a good sign I guess!) and lead vocal seemingly all upfront, it doesn't appear to do anything flashy or daft that I could discern but it is far from just an ambient mix (as I rather feared it might be),
3.) musically its rather nice.. the arrangements are top notch (it almost goes without saying!).. the vocals are like "Marmite" (you're either gonna love 'em or hate 'em!).. will post back when i've had time to play it properly and then 'rip' it apart ;)

Really appreciate this report, @fredblue. I confess I was wondering if this was going be another synthesized 5.1 from 3-channel stereo. Now I think I need a copy!

Really appreciate this report, @fredblue. I confess I was wondering if this was going be another synthesized 5.1 from 3-channel stereo. Now I think I need a copy!

you're welcome! its genuine Quad (there was an old CBS Japanese SQ LP release i never picked up for some reason) happily the SACD has it in discrete multichannel and the mix isn't ambient! :LB

Okay, so.. Wha-a-aT!?!?!? I did not know The Donnas had a 5.1 release. MUST. HAVE. IT

i've had the European version (which was configured as a CD + DVD-Audio) for years but the DualDisc in its fluffy velvety black flock cover of loveliness never comes up for sale over here, so i'm thrilled and hugely grateful to our man Jon!

its been a long time since I've played the surround mix, i vaguely remember enjoying the album but i don't recall the surround being anything to write home about at the time but have the perfect excuse to revisit it with fresh ears now!

Back