Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate ripping Blu Rays, they suck, so much work compared to DVD-A, DTS, SACD. They don’t deliver better Dynamic Range, bitrate, or sonic quality. They do deliver more shit, that’s for sure. Bring back everything in DVD-A., lyrics, a few pictures what more do I want.

Would I still need to use Media Helper to seperate the files. Or just go from the MKV rip directly to Tag and Rename?
I'm not real up on ripping BD and separating tracks. But I am glad you looked at T & R, and thus far it looks great. I love it for everything except re-tagging hundreds of files at once. When I want to do large bulk tagging I use JRiver Media Center's tagging panes. It's powerful in a different way. But for what you are doing right now, T&R should be a godsend.

I have had about 10 BD rips today and David Gilmour's Live In Pompeii is a complete fucked up tagging mess, I'll redo it later.
as long as your got track numbers right (?) you should be golden for re-tagging, no?

I'm not real up on ripping BD and separating tracks. But I am glad you looked at T & R, and thus far it looks great. I love it for everything except re-tagging hundreds of files at once. When I want to do large bulk tagging I use JRiver Media Center's tagging panes. It's powerful in a different way. But for what you are doing right now, T&R should be a godsend.

When I get into a clusterfuck of tagging, and I have to go into manual mode, I redo the chapters/tracks in the actual file that goes to the NAS, the reason I do that is if my JRiver ever goes haywire then I don't have to guess, then I go into JRiver and manually tag, it's time consuming but in the end it is flawless in the event of catastrophic failure. I also tag the album name as 2.0 or 5.1, or 4.0, so when I use my different players in JRiver, I never guess about anything. I also us the cover art that is specific to the disc, ie; HFPA, Dual Disc, etc, when I can, then when I am scrolling through titles I remember quickly. A lot of work, and anal for sure but it is my hobby and the end result is what I am looking for.

MMH will tag ok if it’s a known release (most BDAs) but it probably won’t find the bonus or special tracks like some titles on Imagine.

But you can copy a text list of tracks and use the copy from clipboard command to name the tracks and edit the grid values or other text boxes in the dialog.

This is the quickest way. You’ll find a list of the tracks of most bonus material online. Select the list in your web browser, create a text file, paste into the file (you don’t have to save), remove any unwanted characters etc, select all the text, copy. Now in MMH with all the tracks listed after splitting or in Tagging dialog, use the Copy from Clipboard button at bottom left. All the tracks will be renamed and you can save the tags and renamed files.

I just rip concert blu rays (and dvds) in one mkv file.

MMH can split concert MKVs into songs by chapter and rename each individual split MKV file to the song titles. Much easier to play specific songs.

I do this for my Kodi media player. I can create playlists of music videos and navigate around the couple of hundred odd concerts I have to queue great music videos while not interrupting the current video.

I have had about 10 BD rips today and David Gilmour's Live In Pompeii is a complete fucked up tagging mess, I'll redo it later.

This is a concert BDV. It’s probably not found in the MusicBrainz database (used by MMH) as that generally only has audio albums.

See my previous post re concerts.

Don’t manually enter every track’s info. Find a list online (bluray.com, Amazon, discogs etc). Copy the list and paste into MMH. Way faster!

MMH can split concert MKVs into songs by chapter and rename each individual split MKV file to the song titles. Much easier to play specific songs.

I do this for my Kodi media player. I can create playlists of music videos and navigate around the couple of hundred odd concerts I have to queue great music videos while not interrupting the current video.

Yes, I read more in the thread and understand the agenda for splitting files and tagging - sorry :)

Yes, I read more in the thread and understand the agenda for splitting files and tagging - sorry :)

No need to apologise Spock. I was just letting members know it’s a useful option. Everyone has their own preferences though. Whatever fits your situation.

Reactions: PK
Marpow, you're killing my HD.
All your ripping questions have spurred me to replace my CD quality albums with higher quality stereo ones (i.e. Aqualung (40th Anniversary Adapted Edition) [1971] swapped for Aqualung (40th Anniversary Adapted Edition LPCM Stereo) [1971]).
Yeah yeah, I know that should have always been the case for my PC but I was being ... cheap? lazy? not sure.

Thanks for leading me to a better stereo sound.

Marpow, you're killing my HD.
All your ripping questions have spurred me to replace my CD quality albums with higher quality stereo ones (i.e. Aqualung (40th Anniversary Adapted Edition) [1971] swapped for Aqualung (40th Anniversary Adapted Edition LPCM Stereo) [1971]).
Yeah yeah, I know that should have always been the case for my PC but I was being ... cheap? lazy? not sure.

Thanks for leading me to a better stereo sound.

Oh my God, I am the worse in the ripping world, still feel like I am using stick and rock.

MMH will tag ok if it’s a known release (most BDAs) but it probably won’t find the bonus or special tracks like some titles on Imagine.

But you can copy a text list of tracks and use the copy from clipboard command to name the tracks and edit the grid values or other text boxes in the dialog.

This is the quickest way. You’ll find a list of the tracks of most bonus material online. Select the list in your web browser, create a text file, paste into the file (you don’t have to save), remove any unwanted characters etc, select all the text, copy. Now in MMH with all the tracks listed after splitting or in Tagging dialog, use the Copy from Clipboard button at bottom left. All the tracks will be renamed and you can save the tags and renamed files.

I have noticed and very frustrating for me in MMH, there is a list of tags showing associated with the disc I am ripping, for instance, one disc has two track lists, an original and a outtakes, the MMH shows all the tracks I need in the right column and starts with the original tracks first down to the outtakes, works perfect on tagging the original song list, but when I use MMH to tag the outtakes tracks 2nd MKV split), even though I see them, I can't get them to go over to the files I want to tag. When you click on the little blue arrow on the very left column it changes to a blue editing pencil, this makes me think I should be able to edit within MMH, but it seems to not allow me to do anything, frustrating, I have tried to copy and paste, drag and drop, right click, left click, everything. If the tracks I want are not even in the right column I understand I need to do other ways as suggested above but when they are right there, ugh.

Thanks for the feedback marpow.

Quickest fix is probably to allow you to select the tracks in the tagging tracklist and remove ones you don’t want. In your example you could remove the original tracks from the outtakes title. I’ll. Do that today.

Another workaround (you can do this with Curren version) would be to combine all the ripped track files into a single folder. Then use MMH’s Tagging dialog to tag all the files at same time.

I’ll add the new remove’ option in next hour or so and release an updated version.

marpow.

There's an MMH update that now allows you to select tracks in the track list and remove them with the Delete key. You can select multiple tracks and delete all selected. That will help for you example you mentioned in your last post.

I'll look at adding a 'drag and drop' of track names to the files grid sometime in next week.

marpow.

There's an MMH update that now allows you to select tracks in the track list and remove them with the Delete key. You can select multiple tracks and delete all selected. That will help for you example you mentioned in your last post.

I'll look at adding a 'drag and drop' of track names to the files grid sometime in next week.

Wow, you are the man. I will try it this week.

There's another update just posted (2nd for today). This one adds a new dialog to allow you to edit the track list created by the MusicBrainz online database. You can also paste any list copied from a website into that dialog at it will update the titles.

This new editable tracklist and ability to copy and paste from a website is now in: Convert MKV to FLAC, Tag and Rename and Split MKV Video dialogs in MMH

There's another update just posted (2nd for today). This one adds a new dialog to allow you to edit the track list created by the MusicBrainz online database. You can also paste any list copied from a website into that dialog at it will update the titles.

This new editable tracklist and ability to copy and paste from a website is now in: Convert MKV to FLAC, Tag and Rename and Split MKV Video dialogs in MMH

Thanks for all the hard work, I will check it out later today. I am down to my last 15 Blu Ray's, I can't wait to be done.

Wow, again, that new addition is great, very helpful, thank you. I only have experience ripping Blu Rays with MKV & MMH so I don't know what others are doing but I strongly suggest anybody reading this thread use the MKV/MMH combo. Blu Rays take at least double the time than other discs even if you are only ripping one of the sometimes many choices of Blu Ray, but this combo certainly makes it tolerable.

Back