HiRez Poll Sting - BRAND NEW DAY [SACD and DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Sting - BRAND NEW DAY

• Total voters
I ripped this disc a couple of months ago - but I don't remember how I did it (sorry) - but it was not as straight forward as most dvd audio discs.

Eidt: Checked my recycle-bin in windows - and it looks like I copied the entire dvd-audio disc to harddrive - and used DVDAE on that folder. Do not remember how I copied the disc to hdd though o_O

Edit 2: This works on my system - disc in disc drive - start Foobar - select Menu/File/Add Folder - select your disc drive, select the Audio_ts folder - group select the 10 tracks starting with 5:57 - right click - select convert - quick convert - flac - convert - select the folder you want.

The last track are track 10 and the hidden track - open it in Audacity and split.

gqWGeTH.jpg

A good time to vote - excellent mix and fidelty- great album - I give it a 9! :)

Last edited:
Since finding QQ I've tried alot of music just for the opportunity to hear another M/C mix.
This is definitely one of those and I'm glad I did.
The bass on some songs is stronger than usual. One reason is that the surround content seems to be full range.
I think that's awesome and rare for 5.1.
It's easy for me to just cross over the surrounds higher if I don't want all that bass coming out of them.
The mix suits this music perfectly and it is so well done.
Give it another try !!!

After listening to two (...Nothing Like the Sun and Ten Summoner's Tales) DTS Sting titles yesterday, I decided to give this one a spin. (I have the DVD-A.) Within seconds of it beginning you know you're in for a treat. The opening keyboards fill up the room. It's discrete, the fidelity is fantastic. It's everything that you expect from an Elliot Scheiner mix. The man is the king. (Come out of retirement Mr. Scheiner, we miss you!) It just sounds glorious. There's lots of layers to this music and Elliot takes full advantage. It's very full and dynamic.

This disc will not get a 10 rating from me though because unfortunately for me much of the material is not up to Sting's normal high standards. The album starts off great, I love the first two tracks. The last two songs are great as well. The ones in between though (other than "After the Rain") are where he loses me. The french rap in "Perfect Love", Sting singing from the perspective of a prostitute in "Tomorrow We'll See" (throwing you a slow pitch there, @Fourplay !) and the way "Fill Her Up" shifts mid-song from C&W to gospel in 7/4 time just feels like he's trying too hard. The tracks that are good though, are great. In particular, one deep cut, "Ghost Story" may be my favorite song Sting ever wrote. It's a really beautiful tribute to his dad.

So although this disc is yet another shining example of Elliot Scheiner's magnificent talent, I will have to dock a point because of how uneven the material is. I just wish Elliot could have done the mix on more of Sting's earlier material. Those could be some amazing sounding discs.

It's discrete, the fidelity is fantastic. It's everything that you expect from an Elliot Scheiner mix. The man is the king. (Come out of retirement Mr. Scheiner, we miss you!) It just sounds glorious. There's lots of layers to this music and Elliot takes full advantage. It's very full and dynamic.

This interview has some great in-depth info about how he did the mix. Apparently the master had 80 tracks!
ES: On the Sting project, you were starting from Simon Osborne’s stereo mixes. He came to Connecticut. I like using this room because it’s perfectly aligned for 5.1 for me. I do all my 5.1 there if I can. I have a Panasonic DA7, and I use that in conjunction with the VR. They had done an 80-channel mix. There was a lot of programming on it. There’s a lot of orchestra. A lot of effects. A lot of vocals. And it’s absolutely astounding in 5.1.

Q: What sort of decisions did you have to make particular to this record?

ES: It was a perfect record to do in 5.1 because it had so much to draw from. I had the option to do pretty much whatever I wanted. I called [Sting’s manager] Miles Copeland before I started and said, “Look, I really like to experiment. I put a lot of music in the surrounds,” and he was fine with that. He said, “Go for it. Sting is very experimental himself.”

Q: When you sit down in a 5.1 room, you’re right in the middle of this whole band. What did you do with the orchestra?

ES: Eighty percent of the time I put it in the rear.

Q: When you’re sitting there in the midst of this, are you trying to establish a visual picture of where the instruments are sitting, so you might have the band in front of the orchestra, literally?

ES: Not really. It’s more like the band is in front of me and the orchestra is behind me, like I’m sitting in between them. On another track you might want it to feel as though everyone is in a circle around you and you’re facing the main band. With all the previous live projects I’ve done with Fogerty and The Eagles and Fleetwood, I wanted to just put the listener onstage. I always made the focus point the band. But anyone who wasn’t one of the five or six guys in the band I’d put in the surround-maybe the extra keyboard player or the extra guitar players or the orchestra or any soloists. When you’re sitting there and you hear the audience behind you and to the side of you, you expect everything to come from the front, and then all of a sudden you realize you’re onstage. It really doesn’t matter what sort of visual picture anyone gets from it; I just want them to be engrossed by the entire experience.

Q: What did you tend to do with Sting’s vocal?

ES: It’s always up front, left-right with just a touch of it in the center. Primarily what I use the center for now is I put a little bit of lead vocal in there, a little bit of the bass, a little bit of the snare, a little bit of bass drum and that’s pretty much it.

Q: So did you essentially have to mix from scratch using the 80 tracks?

ES: Close to it. Basically what would happen is Simon would come in, we’d pull up the multitrack, and he would pretty much get the EQ that existed on the stereo [mix]. You know, if someone went out and bought the stereo and then bought the 5.1, I wouldn’t want it to be jarring for them by emphasizing a lot of different things. So I try and maintain the sound that Simon had, though I punched up a few things differently, like the kick and the snare; those are a little different than the original stereo mix, but having the subwoofer [in a 5.1 mix] it’s never going to sound exactly the same as the stereo.

Last edited:
While looking at these to evaluate the LFE channels in light of the "fix the mix" post about all the Scheiner mixes (and so many more) that have LFE delays, I discovered something pretty interesting.

The DTS CD and SACDs are pretty similar some LFE shifts (both plus and minus!) but pretty normal looking LFE that is low pass filtered.

The DVD-Audio LFE channel is completely different. It looks to be pretty much derived from the center channel and is not low pass filtered all. Really strange. So for sure these will sound different.

I got this album in CD, DTS, SACD and DVD-A versions.
After my comparison, I find DVD-A more superior sound quality wise over the DTS. The DVD-A disc has better resolution/details overall.
Offcourse, the DVD-A has 48Hz/24bit (un-compressed) vs. 44kHz/16bit (compressed), so here you can really hear the difference.
But, I don't ditch the DTS format, I have a lot of DTS albums that really sounds great :)

DVD-A vs. SACD version, it's not really easy to tell the difference, it may be related in the end to your own taste of disc format :D

I haven’t written many reviews because I wanted to listen to large group of multichannel music to get myself calibrated. I am reviewing the DVD-A of Brand New Day. I found the fidelity and mix on this well above average. I also enjoyed the music even though I am not a hugh Sting fan. My son-in-law told me his company tests their PA system with this album. I give it a high 9 as it is a pleasant surprise

Back