Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.
Rhino's already releasing stuff for Chicago, the Eagles, the Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Chic, and Aretha Franklin in the next two months.
Plus there's also Parlophone's releases (which Rhino also handle) from David Bowie, Marillion, Kate Bush, and Jethro Tull.

And that's not even taking in to account the releases that the other two majors (Universal & Sony) have lined up for the next two months as well!
(Beatles, Paul McCartney, Moody Blues, Jimi Hendrix, RUSH, Rolling Stones, etc.)

I think RT you switch your avatar back to Doobies Quadio maybe someone will see and listen.
Question RT: Was there this much talk about Chicago's Quadio, or did that just happen and the spurred the Doobies Quadio talk?

I think RT you switch your avatar back to Doobies Quadio maybe someone will see and listen.
Question RT: Was there this much talk about Chicago's Quadio, or did that just happen and the spurred the Doobies Quadio talk?
The Chicago Quadio came pretty much out-of-the-Blue, IIRC. Doobies talk came out of everyone speculating of what could possibly come next.

The Chicago Quadio box set was over a year in the making, but no one on here knew about the release until @Bull Moose shared the news with us about 2 months before the release date.
Then as @keywhiz said just before me, we all started speculating about what would come next.
The Doobie Brothers was always the most logical release to follow Chicago IMHO, but I certainly welcomed the Doors Blu-Ray release in the interim.
Now here's hoping there's a Spring 2019 release in store for this release!

:)

I'm in a bad mood today, I bet $100.00 to one person that they will never release a Doobie Brothers surround box set. I'm done.

I’m not brave enough to bet on any releases.

But we’ve seen so many old quads get released by various sources in the last couple of years that I’m hopeful we will continue to see more.

I'm in a bad mood today, I bet $100.00 to one person that they will never release a Doobie Brothers surround box set. I'm done.

But most people never thought the Cubs would win another world series...it did take them over a 100 years to do it...but they got it done...just saying:cool:

But most people never thought the Cubs would win another world series...it did take them over a 100 years to do it...but they got it done...just saying:cool:

So Clinty:cool:, so what you're essentially conveying to Markie is that when he's roughly 159, Rhino [now called Fossilized Rhino] is finally going to release the Doobie Surround boxset in Bieber 360 PLUS Ultra Surround [yes, Justin Bieber is current President now in his third term]?

So then you'll buy my set for me when they release it this coming year?

;)

Well RT, I think it most fitting that you took me up on my offer(y), hand shake, your on, now if I’m gonna do $100.00 to you, if they don’t release by end of February you have to change your avatar back to your Quadio Doobies, I hope I lose.
PS, I’m back to being in a good mood.

Well RT, I think it most fitting that you took me up on my offer(y), hand shake, your on, now if I’m gonna do $100.00 to you, if they don’t release by end of February you have to change your avatar back to your Quadio Doobies, I hope I lose.
PS, I’m back to being in a good mood.
You are willing to take a chance betting a moderator who, at times, already has a surround disc in advanced that we don’t know about? Priceless...

Yes, I am, putting my money where my mouth is, and besides RT doesn't have anything, at least not yet.

That's true.
I have nothing to go on concerning the Doobie Brothers Quadio box set except the posts of Steve W (ForagingRhino) here in the forum.
Based on his posts, there's no doubt in my mind that it will eventually be released as it looks like some significant work has already taken place.
It probably just got pushed back to accommodate all of the other releases that Rhino was pushing out for the holidays.

In the meantime, there are a few other discs in the works that have yet to be fully revealed but will hopefully be revealed within the first few months of 2019. (BTW I'm not referring to anything from Rhino or anything as earth-shatteringly significant as the Doobies Quadio box set but it's good stuff all the same.)

That's true.
I have nothing to go on concerning the Doobie Brothers Quadio box set except the posts of Steve W (ForagingRhino) here in the forum.
Based on his posts, there's no doubt in my mind that it will eventually be released as it looks like some significant work has already taken place.
It probably just got pushed back to accommodate all of the other releases that Rhino was pushing out for the holidays.

In the meantime, there are a few other discs in the works that have yet to be fully revealed but will hopefully be revealed within the first few months of 2019. (BTW I'm not referring to anything from Rhino or anything as earth-shatteringly significant as the Doobies Quadio box set but it's good stuff all the same.)

Is it also possible that generating a new product from these 45 year old recordings turned out to be more complicated than expected? Perhaps some sections of the tapes need restoration? Perhaps the EQ isn't quite right? You know, Rhino set a super high bar with the Chicago Quadio set and expectations for this Doobie Bros box will be very high.

Re: Doobies Quadio

I think that they should go extra slow and get several different people (who care) to listen closely to the test discs or test files. Make sure there is quad 4-channel (on each track) where there is supposed to be. Make sure a file did not somehow flip to single channel mono (stranger things have happened), and that the liner notes match the order of the programs on the discs. Fix typos and get everything right because you know how easy it is to screw up the parts being sent to manufacturing and pressing plants.

Then after all that, check again for good luck. Then when it's done pressed and ready, open one up and listen again to each track on each disc against the track listing in the booklet.

Last edited:
As the year comes to a close..... I'm beginning to think the Doobies Quadio won't happen....just a feeling...nothing more:unsure:if there is no information provided in January then I doubt it will happen...

As the year comes to a close..... I'm beginning to think the Doobies Quadio won't happen....just a feeling...nothing more:unsure:if there is no information provided in January then I doubt it will happen...

Keep the faith! It took about 18 months for the Chicago box set to be released as they started working on it in the early part of 2015.
As of right now, I'm still feeling positive that we will see this release next year, along with some others that we have been waiting years for, like "The Seeds of Love" and "Animals"
Hope Springs Eternal!

Keep the faith! It took about 18 months for the Chicago box set to be released as they started working on it in the early part of 2015.
As of right now, I'm still feeling positive that we will see this release next year, along with some others that we have been waiting years for, like "The Seeds of Love" and "Animals"
Hope Springs Eternal!

The difference is that we didn't know about all that work being done on the Chicago box set...or at least most of us didn't know...but my bad feeling stems from the fact that Steve came out with a projected date this time...so in my mind that meant that work had commenced on the project....not just in the planning stages...and from the expected end of summer release to total silence....I don't know...if I had to speculate....it would either indicate a technical problem...or a corporate decision to shelve the project...of course I hope I'm wrong....but the "silence" is deafening IMO....so if we don't hear anything in January or February....will you still be optimistic?

The difference is that we didn't know about all that work being done on the Chicago box set...or at least most of us didn't know...but my bad feeling stems from the fact that Steve came out with a projected date this time...so in my mind that meant that work had commenced on the project....not just in the planning stages...and from the expected end of summer release to total silence....I don't know...if I had to speculate....it would either indicate a technical problem...or a corporate decision to shelve the project...of course I hope I'm wrong....but the "silence" is deafening IMO....so if we don't hear anything in January or February....will you still be optimistic?

That's all it was though, a projected (estimated) date. Steve can't control any delays that come from other forces, like the upper forces at the label and the artist.
I still think it just got pushed back to help to declutter the already full release schedule that Rhino had for the last few months of this year.
And yes, even if we don't hear anything within the first few months of 2019, that won't change anything for me, cause a year is long enough, so there's still plenty of time for it to come out at any point in 2019.

That's all it was though, a projected (estimated) date. Steve can't control any delays that come from other forces, like the upper forces at the label and the artist.
I still think it just got pushed back to help to declutter the already full release schedule that Rhino had for the last few months of this year.
And yes, even if we don't hear anything within the first few months of 2019, that won't change anything for me, cause a year is long enough, so there's still plenty of time for it to come out at any point in 2019.

Don't misunderstand...I'm not blaming Steve for anything...I just doubt that he would have revealed that information without something tangible(like the work had already started)....he's not high enough on the "food chain" to make decisions like shelving the project or pushing back the release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back