Difficulty converting specific DVD Audio title to 5.1 FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may happen. Mount the ISO on a virtual drive and look if you can see the audio_ts content.

I converted an ISO file from a home burned DVD-AUDIO disc with Foobar to FLAC and Foobar can't find or support the ISO image. Suggestions?
I think you have to have a dvd audio-plugin installed in foobar, otherwise foobar won’t recognize the format.

I think you have to have a dvd audio-plugin installed in foobar, otherwise foobar won’t recognize the format.
Yeah - here is the plug-in I have.

1546037036686.png

If you're also having problems ripping The Doors, Morrison Hotel, the only "solution" I found was using an old PC with windows 7 on it. No "recent" Windows updates. There was a thread over @ SHF about that particular title...

Last edited:
I have tried DVD Audio Explorer, which refuses to rip it because it is encrypted

I've ripped the DVD-A aob files by first using DVDFAB (this gets past the encryption) and then using DVD Audio Explorer on the DVDFAB output. It worked on my Yes, ELP, etc. disks. I get the MLP 5.1 and the stereo PCMs.

I've ripped the DVD-A aob files by first using DVDFAB (this gets past the encryption) and then using DVD Audio Explorer on the DVDFAB output. It worked on my Yes, ELP, etc. disks. I get the MLP 5.1 and the stereo PCMs.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Anyone able to rip track eight, Chest fever, off the new Music from Big Pink blu-ray?

I am able to get a .dts version but not an uncompressed one.

Great mix and song. The rest of the album ripped fine! What happened with the amazing tune, The Weight? The mix is poor yet the rest is great. Was the original recording limited in some way...

If you're also having problems ripping The Doors, Morrison Hotel, the only "solution" I found was using an old PC with windows 7 on it. No "recent" Windows updates. There was a thread over @ SHF about that particular title...

Huh? Can you find the shf link? Waat happened once, may be useful twice...

Huh? Can you find the shf link? Waat happened once, may be useful twice...

I was the only one able to rip the Morrison Hotel disc in that thread by using an old Windows 7 PC with no recent updates. I used DVD-AUDIO Explorer. The same disc will not rip using my Windows 8.1 laptop or my Windows 10 mini PC.

Edit...link here. Doors

Last edited:
As i said in another QQ thread, first i did a full ISO with ImgBurn, then ripped with Foobar and the dvd-audio plugin. So far it has been the less-troublesome solution. The ISO were imaged years ago with a XP machine, ripping on w10 nowadays. If i can find the box out of storage i'll try just to see how it goes.
The only thing that make Foobar go havoc ripping from dvd-a to flac are 4.1 audio, in that case i rip to wav add a silent centre with sox then encode to flac. 5.0 instead is fine.

I don't remember needing DVDFab Passkey for DVD-Audios, but I can say that DVD Audio Extractor has been doing its job nicely so far. It's not free, but reasonably cheap for what's on offer.

Some of my DVD-AUDIO files convert perfectly, others give me errors and won't convert to FLAC. All are from home Burned from DiscWelder DVD-AUDIO DVD Files. I Create an Image (ISO) file of the DVD-AUDIO DVD with ImgBurn and then use Foobar2000 to convert to FLAC. (I have the DVD-AUDIO Plug-in installed in Foobar.) Why the errors? Foobar converts the Stereo Downmixes, but not the 4.1 or 5.1 tracks, but only sometimes. What's confusing the converting process? Oop! I see from an earlier thread that 4.1 causes problems will try the above mentioned solution below.

The only thing that make Foobar go havoc ripping from dvd-a to flac are 4.1 audio, in that case i rip to wav add a silent centre with sox then encode to flac. 5.0 instead is fine.

As i said in another QQ thread, first i did a full ISO with ImgBurn, then ripped with Foobar and the dvd-audio plugin. So far it has been the less-troublesome solution. The ISO were imaged years ago with a XP machine, ripping on w10 nowadays. If i can find the box out of storage i'll try just to see how it goes.
How do you add the silent center again please?

The two ways I have done it is manually using Audacity, just load and add extra silent center channel.
Make sure in the advanced mixing options that you have "use costom mix" selected.

Easier way is select upmix option under audio conversion in Audiomuxer.

Something like

sox input.wav output.wav remix 1 2 0 3 4 5

where
1 left front
2 right front
0 center
3 lfe
4 left back
5 right back

Keep in mind that the channel numering/grouping may vary, and Foobar shows it clearly in the filename that it gives; 1 e 2 always stays so, but they may be linked with LFE and keep LB and RB alone, or LF RF LR RR togheter and LFE alone.
Before doing a lot of conversion, check outon a single file that the results are what are expected.
Then, you can automate the process with a batch CMD file.

Back