Sony X800 / Possibly Others - Do they handle Quad FLAC Correctly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubertrout

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've been getting a lot of my media onto my system to play through my Sony X800, and I've been noticing something weird. 5.1 FLAC plays fine in surround (although it seems to be activating all 8 channels on my AVR). However, playing 4.0/quad FLAC files, it only outputs them in stereo. It shows the proper bitrate and looking at the files through windows they're clearly in quad, but it doesn't matter. Note that this isn't a matter of user-created files not working - I've been testing with the EMI 4-channel DVD-Audios (which I've ripped from my collection) and it plays the FLACs all in stereo. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also guess it's a problem with other Sony players, since they all use essentially the same software.

I noticed something similar with my Sony blu ray player. It could handle 5.1 (FLAC, WAV, DSD) over DLNA but if I tried a 4.0 file it just wouldn't play, full stop. I got an error message in JRiver to start with. However my Sony AVR handles them (4.0 files) no problem so I just direct DLNA straight to it. I'm not sure why the AVR does it and not the Blu Ray?

I noticed something similar with my Sony blu ray player. It could handle 5.1 (FLAC, WAV, DSD) over DLNA but if I tried a 4.0 file it just wouldn't play, full stop. I got an error message in JRiver to start with. However my Sony AVR handles them (4.0 files) no problem so I just direct DLNA straight to it. I'm not sure why the AVR does it and not the Blu Ray?
Yeah, I have the Sony ZA2100ES, which has no smart features. I thought I wouldn't miss them because the X800 and my TV both have them, but this is an area where they'd be convenient (I also wish I knew the ZA2100ES could do the direct DSD processing the DN1080 can, but that's a seperate query).

That isn't really too hard to find in newer players. I purchased a low end Sony BR player that would accept MC FLAC from a USB connection for my brother as a gift.

IMO what set Oppo apart was the build quality, the analog outputs, and the truly universal playback ability. This new Sony seems to at least have the universal ability
DSD in .dsf multichannel on a thumb drive too?

DSD in .dsf multichannel on a thumb drive too?

I checked the manual. The following is a list of audio codecs that cheap Sony that I linked will play from its front panel USB port.

MP3
AAC/HE-AAC
WMA9
WMA 10 Pro
LPCM
FLAC
Dolby Digital
DSF
DSDIFF
AIFF
ALAC
Vorbis
Monkey’s Audio

It doesn't specify MC, but I know it does FLAC MC, which it also doesn't specify. I'll bet it does DSF MC as well. In the limited knowledge I gained while shopping, when something is stereo only, it is typically specified in that way. For example when looking at AVRs, none that I found in the price range would play MC FLAC from USB. And the specification would say something to the effect of "FLAC (2 ch)".

It has no HDMI in however.

I checked the manual. The following is a list of audio codecs that cheap Sony that I linked will play from its front panel USB port.

MP3
AAC/HE-AAC
WMA9
WMA 10 Pro
LPCM
FLAC
Dolby Digital
DSF
DSDIFF
AIFF
ALAC
Vorbis
Monkey’s Audio

It doesn't specify MC, but I know it does FLAC MC, which it also doesn't specify. I'll bet it does DSF MC as well. In the limited knowledge I gained while shopping, when something is stereo only, it is typically specified in that way. For example when looking at AVRs, none that I found in the price range would play MC FLAC from USB. And the specification would say something to the effect of "FLAC (2 ch)".

The Sony X800 plays DSD files in multichannel just fine.

That might be a bit more difficult to find than someone clutching theirs with cold dead hands. For example, I played discs for the first two weeks on my 205 and then went 100% to hard drives. So not likely that the disc drive will die if it's just "test run" every so often. But I do wish you great success in your hunt quicksrt.
I already know of folks who run their disc drives into the ground with USB input a distant afterthought.

I know that's not your practice but many out there are 100% disc spinners. Likely more disc spinners exclusively than USB file players exclusively.

MP3
AAC/HE-AAC
WMA9
WMA 10 Pro
LPCM
FLAC
Dolby Digital
DSF
DSDIFF
AIFF
ALAC
Vorbis
Monkey’s Audio

HDMI Output, but no HDMI input?

I've been getting a lot of my media onto my system to play through my Sony X800, and I've been noticing something weird. 5.1 FLAC plays fine in surround (although it seems to be activating all 8 channels on my AVR). However, playing 4.0/quad FLAC files, it only outputs them in stereo. It shows the proper bitrate and looking at the files through windows they're clearly in quad, but it doesn't matter. Note that this isn't a matter of user-created files not working - I've been testing with the EMI 4-channel DVD-Audios (which I've ripped from my collection) and it plays the FLACs all in stereo. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd also guess it's a problem with other Sony players, since they all use essentially the same software.

Interesting. I bought mine yesterday and tried some files – and my very own .flac rip of WYWH, which I was pretty sure about ripping correctly from PCM 4.0 off the blu ray, also only played in stereo. I'll investigate this further as soon as I am home from work. FYI I am using the latest UBP-X800 firmware, HDMI 1 goes to my Sony XF85-Flatscreen, HDMI 2 straight to my Marantz SR 6009. DSF-Mch plays fine, as did my rip in Flac off of a Seal Album.

- M.

I think as disc spinners decline (Uni Players) - we will see super AVRs that do everything an Oppo could do other than spin discs. Receivers will accept everything including input from computers sending their streams bit perfect to the DACs in those higher end AVRs. We won't miss the Oppos at all at that time,

I think as disc spinners decline (Uni Players) - we will see super AVRs that do everything an Oppo could do other than spin discs. Receivers will accept everything including input from computers sending their streams bit perfect to the DACs in those higher end AVRs. We won't miss the Oppos at all at that time,

Do you have any recommendations for such a avr???

Well, to an extent AVRs from as far back as 2012 already did do a lot of that. Mine (Marantz SR 6009) already accepts Stereo Hi-Res DSD, Flac, WAV, ALAC, MP3 and many more an via a Network connection or the front USB-Bus. And some newer ones even accept multichannel files in various codecs. The one thing I am not so sure about is video via network or usb.

Back