Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure they aren't losing any sleep over the unreleased/finished titles they have in their vaults...the questions I'm curious about are....do they know where they are located and what kind of shape are they in:unsure:
I wish I worked in the music biz....at least in a role where you get to see all this stuff....oh man....

I'm sure they aren't losing any sleep over the unreleased/finished titles they have in their vaults...the questions I'm curious about are....do they know where they are located and what kind of shape are they in:unsure:

while i share such concerns regarding whereabouts of masters and such, it feels more likely the modern day archives at UMe are better curated than their "old stuff".. case in point relevant to this discussion, the GYBR 5.1 files from before they were "DSD-ised" and 'finessed' with a fade-up were held by someone somewhere and used on the HFPA Blu-ray 10+ years down the line. how well stored/backed-up/volatile their digital archives are i don't know but i imagine such files might be easier to locate than any original tapes.. maybe Mr. Penny has his backups?

All I know at this juncture is the total satisfaction of having the remixed/remastered SACDs in pristine 5.1 Sound of SIX EJ Classics and in the case of GBYBR in THREE formats [DVD~A/SACD/BD~A]...and ALL at a relatively NICE [read Cheap] price point without the fancy schmancy expense of BOX SETS.

How many A list artists have not seen fit to release ONE of their core albums in SURROUND ....... Do you REALLY want to know?

If and WHEN Universal/EJ decide to release the four missing 5.1 remixes [if EVER] will be a cause for celebration and in the meantime ..... let's count our blessings that Surround hi res releases are STILL coming our way from unexpected sources.

Last edited:
Here is the wellI, Number one question for me. Why did Universal make so many EJ SACDs to begin with? I mean, I'm glad they did because this allows someone new who is getting into surround Great music and Demo quality discs for cheap. I still have 2 or 3 copies of every EJ SACD title from long gone your music.

So, yes, the question remains, why doesn't Universal just release them? And why would Universal price gauge AF for the rights? Based upon what little we know, it's probably because they wouldn't sell. At least in "numbers" they would want and expect. It's a strange thing, the Elton John catalog is extremely valuable, and yet if they released every title now, they wouldn't sell because the market is still flooded with SACD.

Of course, we would buy the unreleased titles in 5.1. But the reality may be that the EJ catalog as a whole might cost Universal more than what they would sell. They could do downloads though. One last thing, none of us is getting younger and I'm not sure how interested the buying public will be for buying these titles 10, 20 years from now. Elton who? So the time would be now to get the unreleased 5.1 out there.

I can think of another very sad and cynical reason why Universal isn't releasing anything, but won't go there.

Here is the wellI, Number one question for me. Why did Universal make so many EJ SACDs to begin with? I mean, I'm glad they did because this allows someone new who is getting into surround Great music and Demo quality discs for cheap. I still have 2 or 3 copies of every EJ SACD title from long gone your music.

So, yes, the question remains, why doesn't Universal just release them? And why would Universal price gauge AF for the rights? Based upon what little we know, it's probably because they wouldn't sell. At least in "numbers" they would want and expect. It's a strange thing, the Elton John catalog is extremely valuable, and yet if they released every title now, they wouldn't sell because the market is still flooded with SACD.

Of course, we would buy the unreleased titles in 5.1. But the reality may be that the EJ catalog as a whole might cost Universal more than what they would sell. They could do downloads though. One last thing, none of us is getting younger and I'm not sure how interested the buying public will be for buying these titles 10, 20 years from now. Elton who? So the time would be now to get the unreleased 5.1 out there.

I can think of another very sad and cynical reason why Universal isn't releasing anything, but won't go there.

Clinty's probably correct that the initial batch of EJ SACDs were pressed in great quantities stateside while the Terre Haute Indiana SACD pressing plant was still operational. Now ALL of those SACDs would have to be re~pressed in Austria which has recently raised their SACD pressing fees. So the only option would be to re~release them on BD~A....which is doubtful. Once their remaining SACD inventory is exhausted ..... Sayonara!

Old Quad Guy .... would love to know that sad and/or cynical reason why Universal isn't releasing 'anything' [except pricey box sets in order to procure the exalted 5.1 remix?]

Clinty's probably correct that the initial batch of EJ SACDs were pressed in great quantities stateside while the Terre Haute Indiana SACD pressing plant was still operational. Now ALL of those SACDs would have to be re~pressed in Austria which has recently raised their SACD pressing fees. So the only option would be to re~release them on BD~A....which is doubtful. Once their remaining SACD inventory is exhausted ..... Sayonara!

Old Quad Guy .... would love to know that sad and/or cynical reason why Universal isn't releasing 'anything' [except pricey box sets in order to procure the exalted 5.1 remix?]

It would be thru an estate sale...but I don't think that is the reason...I think it stems from Universal's failed attempt at issuing standalone blu ray audio discs...they didn't sell like they hoped and to be candid most of them weren't done very well...IMO that is the reason they aren't interested in doing it again...maybe an anniversary box set...but finishing the EJ discs in another fashion seems unlikely to me...

It would be thru an estate sale...but I don't think that is the reason...I think it stems from Universal's failed attempt at issuing standalone blu ray audio discs...they didn't sell like they hoped and to be candid most of them weren't done very well...IMO that is the reason they aren't interested in doing it again...maybe an anniversary box set...but finishing the EJ discs in another fashion seems unlikely to me...
It doesn’t help that the remaining titles are probably among his weakest sellers (of those already mixed in 5.1). If we were talking GYBR or Tumbleweed Connection, there might be a chance of seeing an anniversary box set. But I would think the odds of seeing such a set for Caribou or Blue Moves are pretty slim.

I think the only way we might see any sort of release would be if Elton himself were really behind it ala Ian Anderson or Andy Partridge. But while he apparently was supportive of the initial program, it doesn’t seem he cares THAT much about it.

Last edited:
good job we have DV to curate his catalogue and preserve his quadraphonic legacy!
now if only they (DV) could take on and do all the EJ 5.1's... 🤔

Freddie Blue, regarding the remaining unreleased EJ 5.1 remixes: still wonder if Universal would require that D~V, if they accepted the proposal, would have to re~release EJ's now OOP back titles, as well? That was the proposition they presented to Audio Fidelity when they made an attempt to release those remaining EJ titles.

IF that WAS the case, I'd gladly support the cause by purchasing 'back~ups' of the EJ 5.1 titles I currently own......replete with D~V's superb mastering prowness.

See the source image

Freddie Blue, regarding the remaining unreleased EJ 5.1 remixes: still wonder if Universal would require that D~V, if they accepted the proposal, would have to re~release EJ's now OOP back titles, as well? That was the proposition they presented to Audio Fidelity when they made an attempt to release those remaining EJ titles.

IF that WAS the case, I'd gladly support the cause by purchasing 'back~ups' of the EJ 5.1 titles I currently own......replete with D~V's superb mastering prowness.

indeed Ralphiepie.. especially now the EJ SACDs are definitively oop and starting to fetch a pretty penny on the aftermarket (it only took about 15 years longer than anticipated but "it finally happened, oh yes"..) 🤹‍♂️

indeed Ralphiepie.. especially now the EJ SACDs are definitively oop and starting to fetch a pretty penny on the aftermarket (it only took about 15 years longer than anticipated but "it finally happened, oh yes"..) 🤹‍♂️

In the meantime, darling freddie, we have the upcoming EJ biopic "Rocket Man" to tide us over with Taron Egerton in the role of EJ which has received high praise from The Man himself: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/elton-john-says-rocketman-biopic-144852238.html

dreading it.. anachronisms abound, apparently.. if its anything like the Bo Rhap film i'm walking out.
n'night Ralphiekins :hi:sleep:

EJ himself hand~picked uber talented Taron Egerton for the role ..... so hopefully, it will be spot on [unless Elton imposed censorship on details of his life he wanted to keep a secret]!

See the source image

Taron Egerton: Perhaps a little too buff to play Elton?

EJ himself hand~picked uber talented Taron Egerton for the role ..... so hopefully, it will be spot on [unless Elton imposed censorship on details of his life he wanted to keep a secret]!

See the source image

Taron Egerton: Perhaps a little too buff to play Elton?

a little too buff you say..!? well excuse me while i faint a little at his buffness (fan me Ralphie baby i've got the hot flushes!!) i'd "hand-pick" that hunk of manhood if i were Elton too, the dirty birdie's got an eye for the pocket rockets!! :ROFLMAO:

Back