Panasonic UltraHD Players with DSD Multichannel Playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Panasonic is bring out a player Panasonic DP-UB9000 which will play multi-channel DSD/DFF but not SACDs, looks like via USB and Ethernet. It won't play DVD-A either. It has analogue outputs on XLRs and multichannel via Phono.

But it is £849 from Richersounds.co.uk
1537620505688.png

1537620058670.png

Panasonic is bring out a player Panasonic DP-UB9000 which will play multi-channel DSD/DFF but not SACDs, looks like via USB and Ethernet. It won't play DVD-A either. It has analogue outputs on XLRs and multichannel via Phono.

But it is £849 from Richersounds.co.uk
View attachment 35516

View attachment 35515
I think what you are going to see with all these "replacements" for Oppo are machines that are geared more for the video crowd than the audio crowd and these clueless magazine/blog authors are going to endorse them as the next Oppo...there is always going to be something missing when compared to an Oppo….

Very interesting. The Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra HD BluRay player isn't a Universal Disc Player (no SACD and DVD-A support).
But it does play Stereo DSD 64/128/256 files and Multichannel DSD 64/128. Even the Oppo players didn't offer Multichannel DSD 128 playback. :)

Does the new player's Multichannel DSD over HDMI support include Multichannel DSD 128 and Multichannel DSD 256?
Or just Multichannel DSD 64 music files?

View attachment 37548

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800m2/specifications

Body by Fisher Price. "Sony guts" (anyone else remember from SNL??) :p

One of the worst looking toys I have ever seen. Of course, in an age when physical media is supposed to disappear, it's not supposed to matter.

Brian,
I asked this of Oppo:

"Hi,
I have a BDP-103, BDP-203, and just got my BDP-205. In regards to playing USB stick DSD MUTICHANNEL files, will the 203 and/or 205 play anything higher than 64 fs? (I know the 103 is limited to 64fs)"

and their response was:

"If you change SACD Output (Setup Menu > Audio Output Setup) to PCM, then both the UDP-203 and UDP-205 can play up to DSD128 from USB storage "

Then I asked:

"So does that mean it can decode DSD128 internally, but can't output the raw DSD128 over HDMI for some reason? "

and their response:

"Correct, DSD128 needs to be converted to PCM first "

Very interesting. The Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra HD BluRay player isn't a Universal Disc Player (no SACD and DVD-A support).
But it does play Stereo DSD 64/128/256 files and Multichannel DSD 64/128. Even the Oppo players didn't offer Multichannel DSD 128 playback. :)

Last edited:
Brian,
I asked this of Oppo:

"Hi,
I have a BDP-103, BDP-203, and just got my BDP-205. In regards to playing USB stick DSD MUTICHANNEL files, will the 203 and/or 205 play anything higher than 64 fs? (I know the 103 is limited to 64fs)"

and their response was:

"If you change SACD Output (Setup Menu > Audio Output Setup) to PCM, then both the UDP-203 and UDP-205 can play up to DSD128 from USB storage "

Then I asked:

"So does that mean it can decode DSD128 internally, but can't output the raw DSD128 over HDMI for some reason? "

and their response:

"Correct, DSD128 needs to be converted to PCM first "

Exactly. The Oppo players do not play Multichannel DSD 128 or Multichannel DSD 256.
Those files have to be converted to a different format (PCM) instead.

Looks like that is not the case with the Panasonic players.
They do indicate Multichannel DSD 128 and Multichannel DSD 256 playback without going to a different format.

There's a review of this play in the current (October/November 2019) Sound & Vision. They seem to like it a lot, but for $1000 the damn thing ought to play SACDs and DVD-Audios. What's the deal?

(It does have 7.1 analog outs)

Back