HiRez Poll RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - A FAREWELL TO KINGS (40TH ANNIVERSARY STEVEN WILSON 5.1 MIX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
To me, this is the gold standard of what was possible with this album for surround. For a 3 piece band, the surround on this is ridiculously good. One of Steven Wilson's best surround mixes. It simultaneously sounds exactly like it always has, yet somehow also much, much better.

To me, this is the gold standard of what was possible with this album for surround. For a 3 piece band, the surround on this is ridiculously good. One of Steven Wilson's best surround mixes. It simultaneously sounds exactly like it always has, yet somehow also much, much better.
You got that right oh warted one.... :hi

I was surprised how good it was(y)

Well we'll see what happens later this year cause I'm sure RUSH will release some kind of 40th anniversary edition of "Hemispheres".

:)
Yes, I think they will. I just feel a little dubious about a MC mix, but with no real evidence to go on. I just wonder if FBN, 2112, AFtK, MP and Signals are all that have been done from the classic era, because maybe those are the only albums they could find tapes for. I hope not. Hemispheres properly done in MC would be mind-blowing. As well as Permanent Waves.

I love it. I sure hope the world hasn't seen the end of Rush multichannel remixes.
I'd sure like to see the end of overpriced boxes that go out of print right away though!
I got an assist to hear the 5.1 remix but I'd prefer to be able to buy this and the live album I still want to hear separately.

Goes without saying that the next release just has to be a SW remix of Hemispheres. Followed by the rest of the catalog of FBY thru MP of course!
I hope this isn't sketchy. This MUST happen! :D

I'd sure like to see the end of overpriced boxes that go out of print right away though!
I got an assist to hear the 5.1 remix but I'd prefer to be able to buy this and the live album I still want to hear separately.

Goes without saying that the next release just has to be a SW remix of Hemispheres. Followed by the rest of the catalog of FBY thru MP of course!
I hope this isn't sketchy. This MUST happen! :D

I doubt if you are going to see the end of expensive box sets....I think if might be the opposite...since the disc format is dying... companies might want to cash in as much as possible before the end...and I didn't use your description(overpriced) because many differ on what constitutes "overpriced"...some think $40 is overpriced....IMO all those inexpensive sets from "mostly" progressive bands isn't the norm in today's marketplace....it's nothing short of a miracle that Dutton is providing this music an unbelievable price.....but that can't last...I'm like Baggs...I'll support the box sets if that is my only option...I can't really download so that is my only real option..

Oddly enough, the first 10 Rush albums (up to Exit Stylus Left) are something I'd make an exception for. Baring things being a bit tight at present. (More than a bit.) I actually had money set aside for all the 14 (or however many there would be) Pink Floyd bluray box editions for their entire catalog but the bastards only released 2 and stopped! I'm just a little salty that I fell for the ImportCD bait and switch on this one and ended up with just a refund while this went out of print and the price shot up.

I'm good with collectors items being collectors items too. Just the greedy bit where they hold tracks back or even intentionally release reduced quality audio in single disc editions to prop up the collectors editions gets me going.

I heard this last night for the first time and was amazed at how good a job SW did. The visuals are done very well also. This may very well be the best sounding this is going to be, yet while listening, I could not help but feel the sound (as good as it can be expected to be ) is dated and not up to modern standards of recording. It simply cannot compare to SW's (or other well done modern ) own efforts in terms of SQ. While I haven't voted on this yet, and in the interest of avoiding score bloat, I simply do not feel like I could give this a 10. Probably a 9 or an 8. I will give it a few more listens before I vote, if I do.

For those who are so let down from RC's Hemispheres' travesty/poor excuse of a MCH mix, this is a pale consolation.. hope SW gets a chance to do HEMISPHERES in a PROPER MCH mix.. like this one.. and HAVE IT RELEASED ....shame on you Rush/Anthem/RC....THIS IS HOW A MCH MIX should be....... a real engineer should have taken notes from this but I guess EGO is a bitch...oh well...

For those who are so let down from RC's Hemispheres' travesty/poor excuse of a MCH mix, this is a pale consolation.. hope SW gets a chance to do HEMISPHERES in a PROPER MCH mix.. like this one.. and HAVE IT RELEASED ....shame on you Rush/Anthem/RC....THIS IS HOW A MCH MIX should be....... a real engineer should have taken notes from this but I guess EGO is a bitch...oh well...
It's possible that SW didn't like Hemispheres enough to take the gig. In certain interviews he doesn't seem to "get" side A.

The only downside to this release is the ridiculous new artwork.
Also, why did they not mix a 5.1 of the Hammersmith show if multitracks exist?
If Crimson can put the effort in why not Rush?
Ole Records suck big hairy elephant balls imho.

Untitled.jpg
Has anybody managed to rip this to 5.1 Flac?
I ask beacuse i tried using DVD Audio Extractor and i was unsuccessful.
The only tracks i managed to copy was Xanadu and Cygnus X-2 Eh.
Maybe i have a bad disc?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Clint Eastwood sent me a PM asking why I voted a "6" for this title. Duh? I've never owned it in any format and hardly knew it even existed. Perhaps it was a senior moment where I thought I was voting for something else. Sorry about that folks. So I have changed my vote to a "9" to match the average of the other votes; but it has no basis.

Back