Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my question as well. Why can't we go Blu-ray player to Windows PC?
I have all I need to start, but just how safe is this software to go over a router?
So far, sort of a deal breaker going over the router. But might try it. The Sony has WiFi.

After some consternation, I ripped all of my SACDs over WiFi. I had absolutely no issues with any of this software...neither AutoScript nor ISO2DSD. Regarding processing speed, from reading some posts in the HiFiHaven thread, it is my understanding that the limiting factor is the ISO2DSD "sacd_extract" file that comes with the basic download of ISO2DSD. I have a faster version of sacd_extract (v3.9), but I had to compile it over the web as no direct download existed at the time...Talk about sweating bullets. Using V3.9 of sacd_extract, the limiting factor apparently becomes the speed of the disc drives. (I haven't looked at the HiFiHaven thread in quite some time so new information may be available.)

The only burp I had doing the rips over WiFi is that the communication link between the S5100 and the ISO2DSD would sometimes break after ripping 4 to 6 discs. The S5100 made a distinctive "fart" sound when this happened. It was then a matter of simply unplugging the S5100 and starting the process with the AutoScript thumb drive over again. Also, Mikey Fresh recommended a cell phone app called "Fing." Fing scans all of the devices connected to your WiFi and then shows the IP addresses...This comes in handy just in case your router changes the IP address of the Bluray machine when it is unplugged.

I've been ripping SACDs with a Sony S5100 on wired network and noticed that If I started a rip and left (to go fix dinner etc.) for a time, maybe 45 min. to an hour; the Sony would perhaps go into a deep sleep or power saving mode and the software would say it could no longer connect to the network. It was not a hiccup or network issue. It was easy to continue, just start the USB script sequence again and it connected just fine. So it's good to do the ripping in long sessions to avoid having to re-introduce the script.

Last edited:
I've been ripping SACDs with a Sony S5100 on wired network and noticed that If I started a rip and left (to go fix dinner etc.) for a time, maybe 45 min. to an hour; the Sony would perhaps go into a deep sleep or power saving mode and the software would say it could no longer connect to the network. It was not a hiccup or network issue. It was easy to continue, just start the USB script sequence again and it connected just fine. So it's good to do the ripping in long sessions to avoid having to re-introduce the script.

Take a look at beerking's post #7 in this thread. Do you have all the settings as he noted? Also, your computer should not be set for any kind of power saving modes including computer sleep, hard disks sleep and display sleep otherwise you will probably lose the connection when a rip takes a long time and you walk away from the machine. Ask me how I know this! :ROFLMAO:

I hope all this has worked!!
The next step is to rip the next and subsequent SACD's

After the first rip shows done, open the disc tray on the Sony player.
Replace the SACD with another one.
Power off the machine.
Wait until nothing shows on the player then start the rip process again.

This can be repeated for as long as you wish to rip.
If for whatever reason the Sony player has a change of heart the USB process can be used over and over again by just following the initial USB instructions.

In shutting down the PC all the relevent information will have to be re-entered in the SACD Extract Gui, before using it again.

I would keep the USB safe and not use it for anything else.

I have purchased JRiver to play my dsf folders and the rest of my music files as I find it more intuitive.

I am a complete novice when it comes to this process and my only hope is that I've given you some help in completing a successful rip.
I will try to answer what I can but my advice is to connect with Mikey Fresh over at Hi-Fi Haven.

Happy ripping!!(y):LB

Thanks for this thread and all the detailed posts, @beerking . When I opened the thread, I felt like I'd suddenly been handed a second insurance policy. Last year I bought a Sony UBP-X800 to save wear & tear on my Oppo BDP 103--which I just last week began using for SACD ripping, after years of idle curiosity.

Now I discover I have a second ripper in the old Sony BX-59 that I got cheap at Costco several years ago, so that I'd have a Blu-Ray player for the upstairs TV. Brilliant! Good luck to all of you. It looks daunting before you try it, but in my experience, if you follow the instructions carefully, it works without a hitch.

Last edited:
This is my question as well. Why can't we go Blu-ray player to Windows PC?
I have all I need to start, but just how safe is this software to go over a router?
So far, sort of a deal breaker going over the router. But might try it. The Sony has WiFi.

If you click on beerking's hifihaven link in the first post of this thread and go to post #37 in the hifihaven thread the member says they used an ethernet crossover cable directly from the pc to blu-ray player. That's how I plan to do it.

Last edited:
How do I find this on the S5100 ?

I have installed Java and SACD Extract on the PC already.

some routers like Netgear have a software program for PC called Netgear GENIE that shows you a map of all connected devices and their respective IP's. It's very easy to use and there is a "refresh" icon that will clear the devices screen and load all new devices that are now connected in case the power goes out, etc

I believe ESET smart security also has a similar program built in to it's software.

I finished ripping my purchased copy of Toys In The Attic in stereo !! Great tutorial beerking. Thanks a million for sharing this.

Now to rip the multichannel tracks.
It’s a great feeling once you get it to work - my first when I finally got it to work with a Pioneer was Billy Joel The Stranger SACD :)

Last edited:
It’s a great feeling onve you get it to work - my first when I finally got it to work with a Pioneer was Billy Joel The Stranger SACD :)

It is , especially for the majority of folk who probably would not have experienced something like this. It can seem a bit unnerving at first but once you have cracked it, it's just a huge sense of joy and relief.(y):SB:SB:SB

I'd like to contribute a tidbit to this conversation: When ripping SACD's for gapless playback from a hard drive connected directly to an Oppo USB port, you must select the ISO2DSD Output Mode as "DSDIFF Edit Master." Also, make sure that the boxes "Cue Sheet" and "Convert DST to DSD" are checked. When you playback via the Oppo, you can either select the entire file if you want to hear the entire album or select individual tracks from the Cue file.

In the particular example shown below, I happened to have first ripped the disc as an ISO and then extracted the DSDIFF Edit Master and Cue Sheet from the ISO file. I save many of my SACD's on my secondary backup drive as ISO's to conserve space and also have a backup of both the stereo and MC SACD layers.

6 Extract One DFF File and Cue Sheet.png

I am using a Windows 8 HP laptop with an x64 platform. I disabled updates a long time ago on this one. The BDP-S5100 was reset to factory defaults before beginning. It is wired to the router (I will use the straight crossover cable when it arrives tomorrow). The laptop is wifi connected for now. The only hoop I had was setting up the USB drive to look exactly like the image in the post (probably just me).

The purpose of this thread is to provide a clear way to rip SACD's using a Sony Blu-Ray player.

To start off, you will need to purchase (if you do not have one!!) one of the following.
This is a list of those players that are known to work with the process.

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:

BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)

Firstly, I must make it clear, that I will be using information from a site called HI FI Haven along with my own experiences.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

This site is extremely useful to read up on the process and the Moderator is genuine and very helpful.
Pupster and myself have both used the site and discussed our issues with the Moderator (Mikey Fresh)
My intention is to consolidate the information provided and not to replace the hard work that has been used in the thread on HI Fi Haven.
If this has already been covered elsewhere on QQ specifically for Sony Blu-Ray players please let me know.
More to follow....

Thank you very much for that list and the following instructions! Much appreciated. Get them while they're hot though – right now all of them still seem to be dirt cheap on eBay. I am about to get myself a BDP-S490 – for a mere 20 Euros. Compared to the SACD-Ripping capable Oppon-Players that's dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that list and the following instructions! Much appreciated. Get them while they're hot though – right now all of them still seem to be dirt chip on eBay. I am about to get myself a BDP-S490 – for a mere 20 Euros. Compared to the SACD-Ripping capable Oppon-Players that's dirt cheap.

Hi
This gives me as much pleasure seeing that it works for others, than when I gave a loud wahoo after getting mine to work.

I am using a Windows 8 HP laptop with an x64 platform. I disabled updates a long time ago on this one. The BDP-S5100 was reset to factory defaults before beginning. It is wired to the router (I will use the straight crossover cable when it arrives tomorrow). The laptop is wifi connected for now. The only hoop I had was setting up the USB drive to look exactly like the image in the post (probably just me).

Hi, let us know how the direct connection works. I'm okay with the router way, but would like to simplify, in terms of amount of gear to do the backups. Also, if it does work with direct connection, perhaps a link to which cable to use between PC and player would be great. Thanks.

Great thread!. I have been using a S590 for a while and it works great. I am happy to help with any issues as well, though it appears most of it has been covered. I have the player connected to a network switch via ethernet. This switch is then connected to my router viat ethernet. Though the S590 can connect via Wifi, I would strongly recommend against it. It is ok for the receiving PC/laptop to be connected wirelessly to the router however, just not the player.

Back