DVD/DTS Poll Mayer, John - Heavier Things [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of John Mayer - HEAVIER THINGS

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Mix is really pleasant, and the music is great. Since it's Sony, it's Dolby Digital of course, but whatever, that's been hashed on enough...

I am relatively new to John mayer...but I feel the SACD mix on this album was well done. I scored it an 8 because I like a little more agressive use of the capabilities of the format. I don't need bees flying around the room...but I like when the recording engineer also puts some creativity into the sound we hear. It is even better if the artist themselves colaborate. Anybody know if John was involved?

An "8".

Really nice album and a nice mix that doesn't zoom around the room but does some stuff that suits the music well.

I also particularly like the interface and menus to navigate through the disc.

An artist I didn't know beforehand, glad I do now!

Firstly, I quite his music.
I've certainly heard far worse.
The all important mix is okay.
I think it deserves to be given a bit more oomph in the rears.
But its not the dreaded double stereo!!
I shall keep my copy (always a good sign)
Mine is the dual disc

The vote is hovering between a 7 and an 8
But with the above comments taken into account I think 8 is appropriate

An "8".

Really nice album and a nice mix that doesn't zoom around the room but does some stuff that suits the music well.

I also particularly like the interface and menus to navigate through the disc.

An artist I didn't know beforehand, glad I do now!
Hey Fredblue,
Just a heads up; I think you forgot to vote on this one.

I gave this an 8. I had heard of John Mayer but none of his music prior to this & sort of got it on a whim (..influenced by all here who commented) Before deciding to get this I listened to some short music samples of this at Amazon but I wasn't too impressed...
Well, I found a cheap (..less than $5) copy on Ebay. Lo and behold, wouldn't you know it; it turns out it wasn't the dualdisc but the regular CD. [Too many sellers use the 'sell similar' choice on Ebay w/ pre-filled text, description, etc. & don't know a dualdisc from a hole in the ground.] Seller was decent & gave refund & let me keep it.
..So I thought I'd listen to it anyway even thou it was in 'stereo' (...kind of a let down now with 5.1 & quad). ... I was actually 'sort of' surprised by this one!!! Turns out content was better than I expected.
So I found an 'actual' dualdisc copy on Ebay...(cheap but not as cheap as before >than $5)
The mix here is different. I had to turn up the rear surround speakers a lot (+8 Db or so). For the most part this is very discrete though not at some spots. I thought content & fidelity was really pretty good. IMO, Mayer does have an unusual voice & that can begin to wear on you after a while. But still, very good musicians performed on this one. ...Overall, a pleasant surprise!!

Last edited:
I'd give the DualDisc a 6 and the SACD an 8.
dobyblue,
How would you say the SACD is better than the dualdisc? I've only heard the dualdisc not the SACD. In the polls, the dualdisc graded 7.20, the SACD 6.42...Yes, I know it's subjective. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks..
Bob

I found the Dolby Digital on the DualDisc sounded strained in the high end especially when turning it up louder; the SACD sounded more natural.
Thanks for the info ... Do you happen to recall how the surround mixes compared between the dualdisc & SACD?
Best regards.....

Thanks for the info ... Do you happen to recall how the surround mixes compared between the dualdisc & SACD?
Best regards.....

Same surround mix, presented in lossless DSD on the SACD and lossy 448 Kbps Dolby Digital on the DualDisc.

I expect this was likely mixed in 24/96 PCM so if they had done a DVD-Audio like Brothers in Arms, I likely would have chosen the DualDisc. I find the difference between The Downward Spiral listening to the Dolby Digital vs the 24/48 DVD-Audio layer is similar, high end sounds more musical to me whereas the Dolby Digital...is it fatiguing? Can't say definitively what it is but for music with lots of surround activity I have found it very hard to get deeply involved with lossy Dolby. For stereo tracks I've found 448 Kbps Dolby Digital does a massively better job (like the stereo track on the Coldplay 2003 DVD-Video).

I think the mastering could have been a little less aggressive on both the surround mixes of Heavier Things and Room For Squares.

Back