Audacity export problems...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hmm - I thought I was an Audacity expert (sort of). And, I swore I've done this a few times before....

I have a single album in 1 single flac file. All songs are there, only they are not split into their respective songs. It is a multi-channel file.
I import the 35 minute flac file into Audacity. (Yes, I can see all the individual tracks, aka "channels" with their individual waveforms)

I do what I've done a zillion times, and I manually add a label track for each song. I then try to export......
I notice if I choose "export multiple", it will go straight to exporting (after flashing through metadata screen showing me each newly assigned track label I gave). But, the result gives me some sort of single channel output (not multi), but is correctly split into songs.

If I choose "export selected audio", it shows me a "mock-up" of all of the channels and their assignments (multi-channel, just like I want)....but when it pops open the metadata screen, it only shows me 1 title.....as if it's simply going to export 1 large file. Which.....it does. But, it's in multi-channel. Just not split into songs. Ugh....

Anyone know what I'm suddenly doing wrong? Or am I incorrect in thinking I've done this before?

The "export multiple" setting has never worked for me. I usually import my album-long multichannel file, add my track labels, and then highlight each individual track and select "export selected audio".

OK, so yeah. You've done it too...and it works. Only, I can't get it to work for some damn reason...makes no sense. Guess I could kill the job and import it again and see what's up.

Hmm - I thought I was an Audacity expert (sort of). And, I swore I've done this a few times before....

I have a single album in 1 single flac file. All songs are there, only they are not split into their respective songs. It is a multi-channel file.
I import the 35 minute flac file into Audacity. (Yes, I can see all the individual tracks, aka "channels" with their individual waveforms)

I do what I've done a zillion times, and I manually add a label track for each song. I then try to export......
I notice if I choose "export multiple", it will go straight to exporting (after flashing through metadata screen showing me each newly assigned track label I gave). But, the result gives me some sort of single channel output (not multi), but is correctly split into songs.

If I choose "export selected audio", it shows me a "mock-up" of all of the channels and their assignments (multi-channel, just like I want)....but when it pops open the metadata screen, it only shows me 1 title.....as if it's simply going to export 1 large file. Which.....it does. But, it's in multi-channel. Just not split into songs. Ugh....

Anyone know what I'm suddenly doing wrong? Or am I incorrect in thinking I've done this before?

Are you highlighting all the individual tracks before selecting "export multiple"? Not each song, but the LF track, the C track, etc.

Are you highlighting all the individual tracks before selecting "export multiple"?
Yeah. I was reading on Audacity Forum, and it seems the only way to do it is what Sjcorne said...which blows my mind. I mean, you can tag songs from a vinyl rip and export in 1 single motion...but not if you import a multi-channel file. Very bizarre. IMO

I guess this is as good a place as any... I am not having issues with exporting from Audacity (yet). But I am trying to combine multiple FLAC files into one (merging the Long One on Abbey Road) file. When I copy the second track and paste it at the end of the first track, I get a slight pop sound when playing back. Anyone know how to avoid or fix this?

I guess this is as good a place as any... I am not having issues with exporting from Audacity (yet). But I am trying to combine multiple FLAC files into one (merging the Long One on Abbey Road) file. When I copy the second track and paste it at the end of the first track, I get a slight pop sound when playing back. Anyone know how to avoid or fix this?
At a guess you have a discontinuity in the audio, so a bit like the effect of tape splicing when signal levels aren't quite the same. Take a copy of your file then I would zoom in to the area around the 'join' and apply one of the Effects - click remover, fade, repair etc.

I’ve actually done severaL of those and the click remains. Sometimes it’s quieter.

I've done that with Abbey Road, using foobar, and no pops or clicks.

load the tracks into foobar, select them, select 'Convert' and configure the converter to output them all as a single merged file. No 'copy and pasting' needed.

If you cant do that for some reason, and must work with your existing file, use an editor that can find 'zero crossings' of the waveforms. ...such as Audition. Find two zero crossing in the space between the two tracks, where they meet; select the bit of waveform between the two, and delete it. That should remove your 'pop' because now the merge point will now be a zero crossing (a point in the waveform where it is neither positive no negative). Which is how it should be.

You may be able to do this in Audacity but I've never tried it.

I have a Mac and foobar for Mac doesn't do any of that stuff, I don't think.

Try in Audacity to select the offensive area, then open Amplify (under "Effects" menu) and move the slider all the way to the left; usually works for me.

Wouldn’t that create a brief silence between the connected tracks?

I have a Mac and foobar for Mac doesn't do any of that stuff, I don't think.

I don't have a Mac to test it on, but the Converter function perhaps requires manual installation, e.g., during installation, choose

'Optional Features → Tools → Converter'

I can double check my Mac Foobar and see if it has any optional features.

It really seems to me as if the DVD Audio Extractor step from the MakeMKV files is where the click is introduced. Is there another app for Mac that maybe could just rip the audio from the MKV files as one long track with no breaks? I could then take what I need as one long 5.1 file and save it as a FLAC.

Back