Wanted - 2 disc SACD case

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Does anyone have any knowledge where one can buy replacement cases? Specifically, I would like to buy one that can house 2 discs. You know the type....a "flippable" insert where one side has disc 1, and the other side has disc 2. Ugh.....I don't want to spend much honestly.

I assume you're referring to Super Jewel Box cases. I found the following:
And that's about it. I couldn't find any "Standard" flip cases for sale.

Yeah, I mean, I guess that's what they're called. That ebay link looks identical (but way more expensive considering shipping than Amazon) to ones on Amazon that simply get ripped in terms of complaints. Geez.....

Last time I bought any, I got them from Music Direct. (Not the "flippable" kind, but the spindle is really deep--meant to take two discs, one stacked on top of the other.) You have to buy a lot of merch from them to make the shipping costs worthwhile. But once when I called and asked if they could save me a little money by using Media Mail, they were totally fine with it.

Last edited:
If your looking for a bulk purchase, Uline has a good selection. I've purchased several types of multi-disc cases from them as well as DVD-A replacement cases.
They have all held up well.

Uline.com

They don't carry the elusive and impossible to find DVD~Audio cases, either.
Were the heyday DVD-Audio releases in "Plus" or "King" SJBs? "Plus" is slightly taller than "Standard," whereas "King" is around the same size as a standard DVD keep case.

6abc_dsc_k2_6711.jpg

Were the heyday DVD-Audio releases in "Plus" or "King" SJBs? "Plus" is slightly taller than "Standard," whereas "King" is around the same size as a standard DVD keep case.

I think they were released in Plus-sized super jewel boxes. I have a couple of concert DVDs - such as Porcupine Tree’s Arriving Somewhere... - in the King-sized boxes. I’ve only ever seen that size in the later design with sturdier hinges, unlike the two smaller sizes.

I believe it's the "plus" ones. They're larger than CD cases, but smaller than a standard DVD case.

The most important thing to look for on the DVD-A SJBs is the shape of the hinge. The real ones have smaller rectangular hinges, while most replacement ones I've seen have a larger square hinge. The inserts/artwork will only fit on the small hinge versions.

I got burned ordering a replacement set a few years ago with the larger hinge. To this day, I've NEVER seen the actual small hinge cases for sale. Only place you'll find them is if you buy a used DVD-A or DTS-CD from back in the day.

The smaller SJBs that SACDs come in also have both large and small hinge variations.

Small Hinge:

Larger Hinge (does NOT fit DVD-A artwork):

If you look through your CD collection sometimes you can find a similar hinge that fits... I was selling a title on eBay and the blasted thing was busted on the hinge even though it was 'as new'... But I managed to find something that could be shoehorned in - so everyone was happy! :)

Does the center flipper, flip from the center rib of the case, or flip from a hinge on itself from the outside? I've seen both types. Another idea is to find a sealed title that has that type of dual carrier, that also sells cheaply and swap out. No, I don't know what title that would be; which begs the questions, is it for a particular title and does it "have" to match the original?

On the plus side, at least Acoustic Sounds is carrying the Standard flip case. I would venture to guess that you could modify the tray card to fit the large hinge version.

OK, well, maybe I need to try that. I guess it wasn't clear to me what part of the insert would need trimmed. The back insert that has the little fold in it? Or also the first insert that generally just slides in the opening cover? Or both?

OK, well, maybe I need to try that. I guess it wasn't clear to me what part of the insert would need trimmed. The back insert that has the little fold in it? Or also the first insert that generally just slides in the opening cover? Or both?
I think the booklet should fit without modification. The tray card is the "back insert," and as far as I'm aware, the only difference between the small hinge and big hinge cases as concerns the tray card (due to the size of the hinges) is the spine. A small hinge tray card's spine would need to be trimmed at the top and bottom to fit in a big hinge case.

Reactions: GOS
Back