Steven Wilson Suggestions for Steven Wilson multi-channel remixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, Jan 20th 2019. Here is what I'm feeling...actually, I typed this at 4am.....woke up early...couldn't sleep. Just now sending along.
lmao - big list, not complete though.

Sabbath - every single album from debut through Never Say Die
Kansas - Leftoverture
Bee Gees - Any albums from "Disco" era
Trower - Sighs
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Boston - Boston
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper
Dio - Holy Diver
Gary Wright - Dream Weaver
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Jimmy Buffett - Changes in Latitutes, Changes in Attitudes
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II
Love - Forever Changes
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Robert Palmer - Heavy Nova
Rush - Moving Pictures
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Hey, I like this list!

Got to add a couple missed titles though:
Rush 1st thru Moving Pictures. (He has Kings out so far. Got to make up for those insulting novelty mixes they released! Man...)
Zeppelin III, Houses, & Graffiti
Maiden 1st and Killers

And then all the core studio Hawkwind albums! At least thru Church of Hawkwind. (He has Warrior out so far. Maybe try to find Simon House's missing mults though?)

That should all keep him busy for a while. :D

He will need a new time standard, with 48 hours long days at least (and a big sponsor... :cool: )

Quite a few of those already exist...

Some of those albums might be in 4 Channel Quad Mixes done during the '70s, but they're not done by SW in true 5.1 sound. And if any of those tiles exist in 5.1 by SW, they're not on the market (and if any of the titles I've listed are available, tell me which ones).

Some of those albums might be in 4 Channel Quad Mixes done during the '70s, but they're not done by SW in true 5.1 sound. And if any of those tiles exist in 5.1 by SW, they're not on the market (and if any of the titles I've listed are available, tell me which ones).

Ok...

- EWF's That's The Way Of The World and Spirit were done in quad. Gratitude was mixed to 5.1 by Paul Klingberg in the early 2000s.
- Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin' were done in quad and both have been reissued on SACD.
- Gentle Giant's Free Hand was an unreleased quad mix reissued on DVD a few years ago (with a channel swap issue, if I recall)
- Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds Of Fire was done in quad and reissued on SACD by AF a few years ago.
- Roxy Music's Avalon was mixed to 5.1 by Bob Clearmountain in the early 2000s.

Not really sure what you mean by "true 5.1 sound", but most of these quad mixes are pretty good (the Weather Report and EWF titles in particular are amazing) and in my opinion don't really need to be redone. I may be slightly biased though because I generally prefer old quad mixes.

I could definitely see SW doing Free Hand as he's already associated with GG and maybe another Roxy sometime down the road (we might be waiting a while though judging by how long it took to get the first one out), but the rest don't seem very likely.

Ok...

- EWF's That's The Way Of The World and Spirit were done in quad. Gratitude was mixed to 5.1 by Paul Klingberg in the early 2000s.
- Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin' were done in quad and both have been reissued on SACD.
- Gentle Giant's Free Hand was an unreleased quad mix reissued on DVD a few years ago (with a channel swap issue, if I recall)
- Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds Of Fire was done in quad and reissued on SACD by AF a few years ago.
- Roxy Music's Avalon was mixed to 5.1 by Bob Clearmountain in the early 2000s.

Not really sure what you mean by "true 5.1 sound", but most of these quad mixes are pretty good (the Weather Report and EWF titles in particular are amazing) and in my opinion don't really need to be redone. I may be slightly biased though because I generally prefer old quad mixes.

I could definitely see SW doing Free Hand as he's already associated with GG and maybe another Roxy sometime down the road (we might be waiting a while though judging by how long it took to get the first one out), but the rest don't seem very likely.

What I mean by "true 5.1 sound" is not the 4.0 mixes that were done during the '70s (and since the title of this forum is "suggestions for Steven Wilson multi-channel mixes", that's what I had in mind when I made the list). I didn't know that EWF's Gratitude was done in 5.1 for SACD in 2000 while I do know about the other titles done in 4.0 (and I have GG's Free Hand 4.0 release, don't think it's that good and could use that "Wilson Touch" in 5.1).

It's a good one! Pricey nowadays but worth seeking out. The live tracks are your typical "music upfront, crowd in the rear"-type mixes, but the studio tracks at the end ("Sing A Song", "Gratitude", etc) are very discrete.

Just did a search on eBay for EWF's SACD of Gratitude and you're right about pricey. Also, I've gotta agree that aside from a possible 5.1 remix by Wilson of GG's Free Hand and more from the Roxy Music catalog (especially since their induction into the R&RHOF this year), the rest of the albums I've listed don't seem likely.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear SW's take on the Floyd catalog. Probably never happen in a million years though. But then again both James and Andy are monsters in their own right! And most of the Floyd catalog was decently above average to begin with. Animals was in fact the worst of the lot. Now, some of the earlier albums are rare collectables to get the good sounding ones and reissues and all the CD versions kind of suck. But that's another story.

Today, Jan 20th 2019. Here is what I'm feeling...actually, I typed this at 4am.....woke up early...couldn't sleep. Just now sending along.
lmao - big list, not complete though.

Sabbath - every single album from debut through Never Say Die
Kansas - Leftoverture
Bee Gees - Any albums from "Disco" era
Trower - Sighs
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Billy Joel - Glass Houses
Boston - Boston
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper
Dio - Holy Diver
Gary Wright - Dream Weaver
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Jimmy Buffett - Changes in Latitutes, Changes in Attitudes
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II
Love - Forever Changes
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Robert Palmer - Heavy Nova
Rush - Moving Pictures
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Add Kansas Point of Know Return

Reactions: GOS
My dream surround mix came true when Eddie Kramer delivered Electric Ladyland with a pretty decent mix.

Two fairly recent releases (2017) that I think would absolutely kill in 5.1 and that Wilson could do justice to based on the great instrumentation and fidelity available in 2-channel are:

Adam Holzman - Truth Decay
Lonely Robot - The Big Dream

To my ear, both of these CDs sound great and feature abundant and varied instrumentation rife for Steven to have fun with. Holzman's would be a natural given his standing as Wilson's solo band longest standing member. If you haven't heard either of these gems, give them a listen!

Back