3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If, for some inexplicable reason, you don't have this awesome 3D remaster in your video collection.....Amazon is now blowing it out for $8.27. On my OLED TV it's AMAZING!

91wEvF0tbGL._SL1500_.jpg

Good call on that deal while it lasts.

Steven Spielberg was keen on the Jurassic Park 3-D conversion being done right, and to that extent, Universal spent around 11 million on the project, including a new scan from the camera negative. Ironically the 3-D is often deeper in this title when compared to recent Jurassic World conversions. (Although the first JW isn't too shabby..) Audio is top notch as well...

3D is a neat trick, but until it can go glasses-free it's a no-go for me. Also consider that there are no HDR-capable 3D TVs, and that technology blows 3D out of the water in terms of its impact on visuals. 4K is fine, but HDR is where it's really at.

3D is a neat trick, but until it can go glasses-free it's a no-go for me. Also consider that there are no HDR-capable 3D TVs, and that technology blows 3D out of the water in terms of its impact on visuals. 4K is fine, but HDR is where it's really at.

Glasses~Free 3D would involve Holographic Projection which would be a tricky proposition....most especially on FLAT SCREEN TVs ..... I do agree HDR/Dolby Vision and 4K are the way to go but unfortunately, 3D was eliminated from the Specs.

Would it have killed them to keep 3D? I don't think cost was a factor. I think the desire to drive viewers to 4K was the reason. Many reviews of 3D movies noted it was a superior viewing experience compared to the flat 4K alternative. Studios are producing 3D versions for movie theaters. Don't they want to sell them to us?

Would it have killed them to keep 3D? I don't think cost was a factor. I think the desire to drive viewers to 4K was the reason. Many reviews of 3D movies noted it was a superior viewing experience compared to the flat 4K alternative. Studios are producing 3D versions for movie theaters. Don't they want to sell them to us?

And if you notice, jefe1, 4K Discs are literally 'trickling' out of the studios, mostly in UPSCALED 2K versions and the titles being released are HARDLY A~LIST ones, at that. If you still want access to 3D BD~Vs, you have to look to the EU [AmazonUK and/or Zaavi]. Perhaps the switch to 8K will reintroduce the 3D format ..... one could ONY hope!

Glasses~Free 3D would involve Holographic Projection which would be a tricky proposition....most especially on FLAT SCREEN TVs ..... I do agree HDR/Dolby Vision and 4K are the way to go but unfortunately, 3D was eliminated from the Specs.

The Nintendo New 3DS had a really cool trick where it tracks your face with an IR camera in order to keep the 3D effect, but the downside is that only one person at a time can get that 3D effect from the screen. Still, it is possible to develop something similar.

The Nintendo New 3DS had a really cool trick where it tracks your face with an IR camera in order to keep the 3D effect, but the downside is that only one person at a time can get that 3D effect from the screen. Still, it is possible to develop something similar.

Neat trick, but at the present IMPRACTICAL....and let's face it...in order to enjoy SURROUND SOUND 'EFFECTIVELY,' only one person at a time can sit in the absolute SWEET SPOT to enjoy it! So, in effect, our hobbies and passions become SOLITARY EVENTS!

I just ordered this 3d title from zaavi US with free shipping. Since amazonUK says they wont ship the 3D bluray to the USA I thought this was my only option. Don't care about the steel case but no choice.
Note there are ebay auctions selling this for $62 and falsely claiming the preorders are sold out.
Its a great movie just hope the 3D includes some imax size scenes.

Last edited:
From legendary producer James Cameron and Director Robert Rodriguez in UHD 4K with a 3D BD~V: Alita Battle Angel [Release date: July 22, 2019]

Just watched this in 3D tonight. The 3D is very good on this movie which I expected since James Cameron was involved. I believe the credits said James Cameron was a writer as well as producer. Like Avatar it suffered somewhat from it's ideas being borrowed from a number of other movies. Still pretty good. Also the ending suggests a sequel. Hopefully we won't have to wait ten years to see it.

Just watched this in 3D tonight. The 3D is very good on this movie which I expected since James Cameron was involved. I believe the credits said James Cameron was a writer as well as producer. Like Avatar it suffered somewhat from it's ideas being borrowed from a number of other movies. Still pretty good. Also the ending suggests a sequel. Hopefully we won't have to wait ten years to see it.
When the movie was in theaters, I read that a sequel is definitely planned.

blu-ray.com isn't overly impressed with the 3D though?!

Back