Having a problem with DVD-A created from Quad mlp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is saying that since the 80 is built with an older HDMI spec than the 103, it may do something different than what the new AVR is expecting. The older AVRs likely had older HDMI specs as well, which is why they worked with the 80.

I thought they were all backward compatible actually.
Ah, OK. I think they should be backwards compatible, don't know for sure. But another member has stated his Onkyo (not my model) was doing the same thing , i.e. playing only fronts with quad from a physical player, but Onkyo fixed his with a firmware update. Regardless of why the 103 works, the 80 doesn't and I THINK it's the Onkyo. Next time I talk to Oppo service I'll see what they think....they have my 970HD for repairs now, maybe I'll have to send my 80....hope not though! Maybe it's just me wishing for a quick fix like a firmware update for the Onkyo.

The HDMI specs should be backwards compatible so if it can handle 1.4 datastreams it should handle 1.3, but it was possibly a different group of people who wrote the software for the new receiver and they may interpret the spec differently, how extensively did they test it as well. How many people out there actually know about 4.0 they may only think in terms of 5.1 or 7.1. I am fairly certain it is the Onkyo.

My new Sony TV when plugged into the Mains but not switched on but it is connected via HDMI to my Amp, interrupts any stereo CD playing on my Oppo causing audio mutes, but not multi-channel discs! So the HDMI 1.4 on the Sony is doing some HDMI handshaking which my old Panasonic TV didn't with HDMI 1.3.

The HDMI specs should be backwards compatible so if it can handle 1.4 datastreams it should handle 1.3, but it was possibly a different group of people who wrote the software for the new receiver and they may interpret the spec differently, how extensively did they test it as well. How many people out there actually know about 4.0 they may only think in terms of 5.1 or 7.1. I am fairly certain it is the Onkyo.

My new Sony TV when plugged into the Mains but not switched on but it is connected via HDMI to my Amp, interrupts any stereo CD playing on my Oppo causing audio mutes, but not multi-channel discs! So the HDMI 1.4 on the Sony is doing some HDMI handshaking which my old Panasonic TV didn't with HDMI 1.3.
Wow. That seems bizarre. Makes me wonder if everyone is truly on the same page, spec wise.

Wow. That seems bizarre. Makes me wonder if everyone is truly on the same page, spec wise.
I unplugged the Sony from the Mains and the problem disappeared - it does seem to expect that you leave your TV permanently in standby!

As for specs unfortunately they're frequently not! Also, sometimes a feature in a Standard Spec is deprecated, so no longer has to be considered when they move to a newer standard - happens quite often.

If you have multiple HDMI connections to the reicever the audio will defer to the least common denominator.
I have a 2 channel TV hooked up to my receiver that sits on my work desk and my 4k tv in the same room which is connected to the surround system.
When I want discrete audio I have to turn off the desktop tv when watching some sources.

If you have multiple HDMI connections to the reicever the audio will defer to the least common denominator.
I have a 2 channel TV hooked up to my receiver that sits on my work desk and my 4k tv in the same room which is connected to the surround system.
When I want discrete audio I have to turn off the desktop tv when watching some sources.
OK so you're saying both TV's are connected to the same receiver, right? If that's the case then I get it.

OK, here's what I now know:
At one point my newest (not new but new to me) Onkyo receiver would not play quad correctly.
After a firmware update, the Onkyo plays quad.
My BDP-103 & my DV-970HD (freshly returned from Oppo service) both play quad just fine via the Onkyo.
The BDP-80 plays only front channels from quad at this time.

What source I am using to test:
A DVDA disc I authored with a few quad songs.

I got in touch with the Oppo service folks and we swapped emails Friday afternoon until we basically ran out of time.
After asking about my setup and particularly the receiver, they sent me a firmware revision to try, but alas it did not help me.
At this point I've done about all I can do, I think, including factory reset, removing power from the BDP-80 for >30 minutes,
and any other suggestion the service folks have made.
I could be and am frequently wrong but I don't believe the service folks have seen this particular problem from this player before, so I keep hoping
it's not a hardware problem.
I hope to resume the conversation with the Oppo service folks Monday and maybe something good will happen.

Not really germaine to my problem, but Oppo service received my ailing DV-970HD last Friday afternoon, replaced the decoder IC and the transport and had it back out the door headed my way the same afternoon. I don't see how you can beat that kind of service!

OK, here's what I now know:
At one point my newest (not new but new to me) Onkyo receiver would not play quad correctly.
After a firmware update, the Onkyo plays quad.
My BDP-103 & my DV-970HD (freshly returned from Oppo service) both play quad just fine via the Onkyo.
The BDP-80 plays only front channels from quad at this time.

What source I am using to test:
A DVDA disc I authored with a few quad songs.

I got in touch with the Oppo service folks and we swapped emails Friday afternoon until we basically ran out of time.
After asking about my setup and particularly the receiver, they sent me a firmware revision to try, but alas it did not help me.
At this point I've done about all I can do, I think, including factory reset, removing power from the BDP-80 for >30 minutes,
and any other suggestion the service folks have made.
I could be and am frequently wrong but I don't believe the service folks have seen this particular problem from this player before, so I keep hoping
it's not a hardware problem.
I hope to resume the conversation with the Oppo service folks Monday and maybe something good will happen.

Not really germaine to my problem, but Oppo service received my ailing DV-970HD last Friday afternoon, replaced the decoder IC and the transport and had it back out the door headed my way the same afternoon. I don't see how you can beat that kind of service!

Has anyone else confirmed sterero only with quad dvd-a on an Oppo 83? Are there any quad dvd-a's other than homemade?

Has anyone else confirmed sterero only with quad dvd-a on an Oppo 83? Are there any quad dvd-a's other than homemade?

There's lots of , er, fan transfers that are quad DVD-A, I can only think of two 'official' quad DVDAs in my collection:

1)the EMI release of Messiaen's Turangalila Symphonie recorded by Andre Previn (RIP) and the LSO in the 1970s.

R-1251877-1544887646-3047.png.jpg

2) Mode records 2001 release of Subotnik's Electronic Works, Vol. 1
097subotnickD2.jpg

Last edited:
I swapped emails again with OT Service, Inc, the folks that do Oppo warranty & non warranty work.
The bottom line is that even if I sent in the unit, any parts replaced would be exactly the same as I have now, so the incompatibilities between the BDP-80 & Onkyo would still exist.
Looks like that's that then; but I do have two more Oppo's that DO play quad, and any I encode in the future I will just use AudioMuxer to add dummy channels to avoid future problems.
Not worth worrying about anymore, Onkyo has already blown me off so I'll leave it alone for now.

So boon, what happens if you try to play 4.0 Flac through the Onkyo?
Good question...I had a problem playing anything through the USB port, I had never even tried before. I used a FAT32 stick with stereo and it wouldn't "see" the files. I'm probably missing something but it's not important to me. I have an HTPC hooked up to the receiver so there's always a way......

Back