DVD/DTS Poll Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee [DTS CD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTSCD of Toy Matinee - TOY MATINEE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Nice seeing some chatter on Toy Matinee (the album & the band). I will say just say if I compile a list of my top 10 favorite albums, this would be in it.
Surround/Resolution is great, but the album is exceptional.

I was fortunate to become friends with a fellow surround enthusiast when this was released on DVD-A. My friend hated it and he gifted me the disc. I still consider it a superlative DVD-A and I’m just glad my buddy’s taste pretty much sucks.

Great songs, performances, sonics, and nicely discrete surround mix. A very high 9 for me!

This is 5-star pop music. Great production & mix, I've spun this regularly since it's release.

Too bad it's the only one...

Recently, I found some mid-high frequency goodies buried in the LFE track -- stuff you may be missing if anyone cares to have a look.

I ran a notch filter & moved them to the rears, because I'm stupid like that.

Just got my DVD Audio version.
The dynamic range database has this listed as 96/24 but my Oppo player/Yamaha 2070 say 44k
Some of the best sounding releases to my ears aren't considered "high res."
This is one of them. Great fidelity!
Maybe there is a DVD-A at 96/24 and a DTS CD, which would be 44.1/16, and you have the latter?

Maybe there is a DVD-A at 96/24 and a DTS CD, which would be 44.1/16, and you have the latter?

The DVD-A is 44.1/24. I assumed it's one of those early digital recordings, like Nightfly or Brothers In Arms. Sounds great to my ears, and the 5.1 mix is one of the best I've ever heard. I'm actually gonna bump my vote to a 10.

It was also recently pointed out to me that the bass player on this album is none other than Guy Pratt, now of latter day Pink Floyd, Dave Gilmour solo, and Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets bands. A bit of relevant trivia there! He is said to be a session musician, apparently rather than a "member of the band." Thanks to Mick who pointed this out!

You guys got me interested in this release because you all said the surround was so good, so I purchased. I'll vote later probably at least an 9, it's pretty dang good surround and music in general.
Anyway I was able to purchase from Amoeba Records right here in San Francisco.
I ordered the DVD-A and Amoeba sent me an email saying that it was a DTS disc and wanted me to know, I said, I didn't care.
This DTS disc shows up as a 20bit/44.1 5.1 disc.
The picture I show is the reverse of the DVD-A, my DTS looks exactly the same except for the two DVD Audio logos and the big print at top. My DTS disc has the DTS logo top left and the words in bold DIGITAL SURROUND.
Wkipedia says this:
In 1999 the album was remixed into surround by DTS Entertainment, released as a DTS encoded 5.1 compact disc with a slightly altered version of first track "Last Plane Out".[9] A second DTS version was released in 2001 as a DVD-Audio title, using Meridian Lossless Packing and a 2.0 channel stereo version of the album encoded in Dolby Digital.[10] The 2001 stereo remaster and the 2.0 Dolby Digital version on the DVD-Audio release all include the alternate "Last Plane Out". None of the bonus tracks were included on either surround release.

Last edited:
You guys got me interested in this release because you all said the surround was so good, so I purchased. I'll vote later probably at least an 9, it's pretty dang good surround and music in general.
Anyway I was able to purchase from Amoeba Records right here in San Francisco.
I ordered the DVD-A and Amoeba sent me an email saying that it was a DTS disc and wanted me to know, I said, I didn't care.
This DTS disc shows up as a 20bit/44.1 5.1 disc.
The picture I show is the reverse of the DVD-A, my DTS looks exactly the same except for the two DVD Audio logos and the big print at top. My DTS disc has the DTS logo top left and the words in bold DIGITAL SURROUND.
Wkipedia says this:
In 1999 the album was remixed into surround by DTS Entertainment, released as a DTS encoded 5.1 compact disc with a slightly altered version of first track "Last Plane Out".[9] A second DTS version was released in 2001 as a DVD-Audio title, using Meridian Lossless Packing and a 2.0 channel stereo version of the album encoded in Dolby Digital.[10] The 2001 stereo remaster and the 2.0 Dolby Digital version on the DVD-Audio release all include the alternate "Last Plane Out". None of the bonus tracks were included on either surround release.
View attachment 39467

Snood's is the same - you are fine :rocks Love me some Ballad of Jenny Ledge - almost Steely Dan-ish :unsure:

Oh wow did not realize that Rosanna Arquette was in the video :love:

Last edited:
It was also recently pointed out to me that the bass player on this album is none other than Guy Pratt, now of latter day Pink Floyd, Dave Gilmour solo, and Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets bands. A bit of relevant trivia there! He is said to be a session musician, apparently rather than a "member of the band." Thanks to Mick who pointed this out!

Oh yes. A certain engineer (who used to visit us here) joked with me how much Guy loves his bass octave pedal. (I have one too and totally get that) Guy Pratt's playing is great already so when he kicks the pedal on, he becomes Master of the Universe! You'll hear it to great effect within the live Floyd material. The man has great taste and ability which equals chops.

Back