Sonic Benefits of 8 Channel exaSound e38 DAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exa065,
Just saw the custom balanced version of the MkII on your site.
What, if any diff in specs from the RCA?
Different gain?
1 nit, pic of the rear case doesn't have a MkII silkscreen? Does the actual product?
Last nit, why no black case?
JMO, lots of folks have all black gear, like me.
Performance-wise your product is impeccable and getting better.
The balanced Mini-XLR output voltage is twice as high - 4Volts. All other specifications are identical to the unbalanced version.

We haven't updated the silk screen for the rear plate. The Mark II upgrade is marked on the bottom sticker.

I am sorry, we don't have a black version. These devices are produced in small batches, it is difficult to have multiple modifications.

I will need RCA cables, probably about 3', any recommendations?
If you want good quality no nonsense RCA cables at a very reasonable price, get them from monoprice.com. They are shielded and should work very well. They will get the job done , nothing more or less.

If you want a bit fanicer stuff , then there is Blue Jeans cables Co.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346
If want "magical" audiophile cables, then someone else can chime in.

Could you expand on the "passive input selector"....not sure what that means... and brand?
The one that I use is custom made. Here is a unit that I found with a quick search on Google. It is a stereo-only but it will give you an idea about this type of devices: https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

For demonstrations on audio shows I use this preamp from Parasound: http://parasound.com/p7.php

Excellent multichannel preamps can be found on Ebay, here is one model that I've used in the past: https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormack-MAP1-Multi-Channel-Analogue-Preamplifier-/232809909322

Since you will be using the 7.1 RCA inputs for the e38 Mark II, the best option for connecting of your SACD player is HDMI. I think you have plenty of HDMI inputs.
Yeah, sorry I jumped the gun on the RCA cables, duh, I will be taking my existing RCA from my universal disc player MVP891, and just swap them over to the exasound. I almost exclusively use ripped discs via JRiver so I don't really need the SACD analog out anymore from the universal player. Already have an HDMI out for the BD'd DVD's etc. Too excited, wasn't thinking.

The Teddy Pardo power supply arrived from Isreal today, only 3 days after the Exasound, pretty good. The exasound and the power supply are together smaller than the McIntosh D150 which is being replaced, this will help my ease of connections better as things are tight in the cabinets.
Of course just yesterday McIntosh New McIntosh Power Supply releases a cool looking power supply, but I will pass as I have this new Teddy Pardo and I have the Shunyata Venom strip. With heavy Shunyata power cords.

I'm slow, there are a lot of wires, big stiff ones. I am able to pull out each component 3/4 of way before I have to start pulling random cables.
Tonight what I did was unpack exasound and TP power supply. The Teddy Pardo power supply came with an interconnect that goes to the exasound but no power cord from outlet to power supply (should have been there). How is a power supply supposed to work if no power?
I have a bunch of factory power cords that are left over from when I switched to Shunyata power cords. The exasound came with all it's parts in a very nice custom box, including there own power cord if you just wanted to go to an outlet.
I have loaded the AISO driver on the NUC and I can see that my JRiver recognizes it, so it will be easy when I make the machine switch to the new AISO driver.
I then pulled the very big and tight Audioquest RCA cables with DBS attached from the SACD player, what a bitch that was. I have put all components back together played surround, stereo, etc and no cables got accidentally pulled so everything works.
That is it for now, baby steps, I am now set up for hook up.
The 5 RCA cables, FR,FL,RR,RL & Sub are all nice and loose and still connected to the 7.1 surround RCA section in back of AVR. Thank God that would be really hard.
I don't know what I would do if I didn't have all my wires and cables labeled at both ends, one mistake and could be a nightmare.
Tomorrow I plan on fully disconnecting the D150 2 channel DAC to the Exasound38MKII.
So far, so good. I think the hard part is over, now tomorrow it should be plug and play.

I am not worried in the least bit, but it was a no go. Great continued progress, (music equipment in cabinets sucks).
I got the D150 and all it's interconnects out. I hooked up the exasound with all it's RCA cables from it to the back of my MX122. Got the Teddy Pardo powers supply on and connected to the exasound, turns on, no problem. I set up the provided remote control, works.
Everything is back to being tidy and neat.
My JRiver recognizes the AISO but when goes to play, says not compatible. Both the 2 & 8 channel drivers.
I seem to have been locked out of the exasound support page after numerous password changes, I gave up. I believe there is a special download for JRiver but can't open site to see.
So now it is just down to computer stuff, but the hard part interconnects and moving equipment is over.
George, I know you read this, take your time in getting back from Chicago, and will talk, I have a busy week at work also.
I lost my stereo listening for the time being USB out but my HDMI out from the NUC to MX122, still no problem.

George from exasound called me 2 mins after reading this post, spent 10 mins on phone with me and my little new toy is working perfect thanks to George at exasound. Great customer service from start to finish.
now all have to do is listen and enjoy.
Thanks George.

Really happy. I am just beginning with this and now looking forward to buying some surround DSD's from Native DSD.
My first impression: Trying really hard to not have placebo but all is good. The power supply in there manual say's there is about a 30 day burn in.
My set up: Intel Nuc USB out to exaSound38. Now there is no need to have an HDMI out as I ran all RCA cables to the 7.1 space back of MX122.
From exaSound to MX122, stereo FLAC and DSD. 5.1 & 4.0-3.0.
The exaSound has a very cool "exaSound Dashboard" which is widget on PC that shows the audio spectrum of each channel. This for me is mainly significant on 4.0 recordings as a few here and there seem to activate the center channel and now I can use the dashboard and zero that channel to get the true quad effect. Not that I couldn't do it before, but I had to go into the options menu and adjust.
I am most happy to also say I can hear a difference from my old way. It is subtle but in the world of audio subtle change can be very significant.
I notice a tighter sound, more precise, and a softer more analog sound. These two differences make the music I am listening to more enjoyable.
This after only a few discs, I am happy with service and product, worthwhile investment. D150 for sale.

Really happy. I am just beginning with this and now looking forward to buying some surround DSD's from Native DSD.
My first impression: Trying really hard to not have placebo but all is good. The power supply in there manual say's there is about a 30 day burn in.
My set up: Intel Nuc USB out to exaSound38. Now there is no need to have an HDMI out as I ran all RCA cables to the 7.1 space back of MX122.
From exaSound to MX122, stereo FLAC and DSD. 5.1 & 4.0-3.0.
The exaSound has a very cool "exaSound Dashboard" which is widget on PC that shows the audio spectrum of each channel. This for me is mainly significant on 4.0 recordings as a few here and there seem to activate the center channel and now I can use the dashboard and zero that channel to get the true quad effect. Not that I couldn't do it before, but I had to go into the options menu and adjust.
I am most happy to also say I can hear a difference from my old way. It is subtle but in the world of audio subtle change can be very significant.
I notice a tighter sound, more precise, and a softer more analog sound. These two differences make the music I am listening to more enjoyable.
This after only a few discs, I am happy with service and product, worthwhile investment. D150 for sale.

Congratulations on getting the exaSound + Teddy Pardo set up and rolling.
If you like the sound now, it will get better as it burns in.
And what better to burn in the setup than listening to all of your Surround albums again with the new Multichannel DAC? :)

On the DSD 256 downloads at NativeDSD, when you buy an album (or track) in DSD 256, they throw in the lower DSD bit rates (DSD 128, DSD 64) at no cost.
So you may want to download an album or two at all three DSD bit rates and listen to the differences.

A good place to start would be the Jacintha "The Girl From Bossa Nova" album in DSD 256 Surround. On sale during April at 15% Off (Groove Note Label of the Month Sale).
Pretty compelling with the Center Channel vocals. Nice....

https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/albums/GRV1026-the-girl-from-bossa-nova
https://groovenote.nativedsd.com/

I'm very sorry to hear this...actually, it's my bank account that's very sorry. Now more seriously pondering an e38 MKII, but my addiction to Logic7 processing of 2-channel music mandates going through the DACs in the Lexicon processor. I'll have to see how the Surround Master v2 performs as a substitute for Logic7 when it arrives this spring. You know, being able to hear subtle differences in audio reproduction is as much of a curse as it is a gift.

Back