King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box set (18CD / 4 BD-A / 2 DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pre-orderered the individual albums.

And I'll begin to save for the 50th anniversary big boxes :p

So here is one of those moments where formats and disc players may make a difference in what one purchases. With support for DVD-A potentially dodgy going forward, does one go for the big box in order to get the Blu-Rays with their high-resolution mixes? I'll probably still do the stand-alones, but this is a question worth pondering.

I used to ask myself the same question when a CD release came with a 5.1 DVD. I missed a bunch of now hard to find stuff because I passed on the DVDs.
I am buying the BR versions now to provide myself a wider range of musical options going forward.
And yeah, I ordered the box and both stand-alones.

Price watch for the mega-box:

Burning Shed: $172.94
DGM Live: $190.00
Deep Discount: $196.86*
Bull Moose: $199.97
Import CDs: $208.03

Amazon's entry doesn't have a price listed yet.

*This item does not qualify for Deep Discount's free shipping.

I haven't worked out shipping charges from each vendor, but if I had to guess, Bull Moose will probably be the best deal. Plus that's a lot of Bull Moose points to maybe put towards an Abbey Road box later this year. ;)

EDIT: I retract the above statement. Once VAT is removed over at Burning Shed, the box ends up being about $30 cheaper than the Moose, even with insured shipping.

Last edited:
Price watch for the mega-box:

Burning Shed: $172.94
DGM Live: $190.00
Deep Discount: $196.86*
Bull Moose: $199.97
Import CDs: $208.03

Amazon's entry doesn't have a price listed yet.

*This item does not qualify for Deep Discount's free shipping.

I haven't worked out shipping charges from each vendor, but if I had to guess, Bull Moose will probably be the best deal. Plus that's a lot of Bull Moose points to maybe put towards an Abbey Road box later this year. ;)

EDIT: I retract the above statement. Once VAT is removed over at Burning Shed, the box ends up being about $30 cheaper than the Moose, even with insured shipping.

It does now...AMAZON...but you aren't going to like it...the starting price is $218...but it will come down..

Amazon UK's price on this is £147.47. After VAT is removed that comes to approximately $164.

Burning Shed's price after VAT is removed (incl insured shipping) comes to £130.19 or approximately $170. Burning Shed's price drops to £124.69 (approximately $163) if you use uninsured shipping.

Oh....and Deep Discount currently has a 15% off sale (promo code LEXLUTHOR) which brings this down to $167.33 + shipping (and sales tax depending on where you live.)

Amazon UK still seems to be the best bet though.

If any of you want to hear how good "The ReConstrukction of Light" sounds, here's a preview, "FraKctured":

:)

If I understand they did not make the surround mix from the multi-track tape, but from a data tape???

If I understand they did not make the surround mix from the multi-track tape, but from a data tape???

The "data tape" is the multitracks.
The album was recorded digitally on the ADAT format (except the drums), then the original electronic drum parts were recorded directly in a DAW. This original drums session was lost when the original producer died. So Pat Mastelotto took the opportunity to re-record his drum parts for this remix.

If the box set is not your cup of tea (and for many it will not be due to the sheer cost, even though there is a lot of content) I do recommend that everyone check out the 2 smaller CD/DVDA-V sets.

David Singleton’s 5.1 mixes of both albums are absolutely fantastic. They really are just as good as any of the other 5.1 mixes in the series, plus Pat’s new drums on “The Reconstrukction of Light” have completely transformed the album into a powerful recording experience.

Finally, some more good releases for all of us to look forward to!

:)

Is there any surround content in the box that is not included in the two small sets?

Back