HiRez Poll Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Unlike you kap'n, I have found all of AF's MCH SACDs to sound just right, especially since I replaced all of the capacitors in my aging speakers. But don't worry, in due time all of us boomers won't be able to hear jack over 8000 Hz...and probably even less. So record companies had better release these multi-channel hi-res recordings while they can still sell them.
Now that they are gone I really miss Audio Fidelity. They seemed to really be getting there wings when I first started collecting surround music in 2014, and now "poof" there gone. They put out some fantastic surround titles. There stereo titles where also good, but not as good as those fine 4.0's.

To each their own, but I'm not sure I get the connection between L&M and ELP other than the "nautical" title theme and the suntanned visages. Musically, miles apart -and I'm not aware of a quad version of Love Beach either - just seems like a fairly random comparison.
You touched on the comparison just fine. The nautical theme strikes me as silly, I guess.
I also bring it up because Love Beach is much maligned, though I find more to enjoy on it than Full Sail. Yes, I've heard the whole thing, and some of the album is all right, though I'm sure many can agree that an album opener strikes a certain tone.

I wasn't there either. I assume you played it past the first track? I really don't like "Lahaina" or "My Music", but love the rest of it. Particularly "Travelin' Blues" and "Watching The River Run".
Of the shorter tunes, "Travelin' Blues" is probably my favorite/the best. But my two favorite tracks are the long-form ones: "You Need A Man/Coming To You" and, especially, "Pathway To Glory." But I prefer listening to the whole album, in any format.
Their third and final quad title, Native Sons, is definitely the weakest of the lot, but I'd still love an SACD release just to hear how the mix sounds discrete (it was only released as an SQ matrix LP).
I really like "Pretty Princess" from that record. "It's Alright" is a good song, too. Here's hoping Michael Dutton is interested, the tapes are available, and the licensing can be arranged! [emoji1696]

You touched on the comparison just fine. The nautical theme strikes me as silly, I guess.
I also bring it up because Love Beach is much maligned, though I find more to enjoy on it than Full Sail. Yes, I've heard the whole thing, and some of the album is all right, though I'm sure many can agree that an album opener strikes a certain tone.
Loggins & Messina = country rock/pop. ELP = progressive rock. Full Sail Quad, Love Beach not Quad. What else am I missing here? Neither album is “desert island” material but the comparison otherwise is nonsensical and at the very least, way off topic for this thread which is a poll for a completely different title.

Loggins & Messina = country rock/pop. ELP = progressive rock. Full Sail Quad, Love Beach not Quad. What else am I missing here? Neither album is “desert island” material but the comparison otherwise is nonsensical and at the very least, way off topic for this thread which is a poll for a completely different title.
Not sure what your problem is! In a thread about the self-titled album, you get some people saying "it ain't no Full Sail." So someone pipes up saying, "wtf?" It really is as simple as that.

I wasn't there either. I assume you played it past the first track? I really don't like "Lahaina" or "My Music", but love the rest of it. Particularly "Travelin' Blues" and "Watching The River Run". It's also much more sophisticated quad mix than the debut album, which was mixed during the early wave of CBS gold-bordered quad releases. Their third and final quad title, Native Sons, is definitely the weakest of the lot, but I'd still love an SACD release just to hear how the mix sounds discrete (it was only released as an SQ matrix LP).

"Angry Eyes"...just damn. Blows me away every time.

I love all L&M, except for Native Sons, which I still think is darn near unlistenable (sorry Quad Linda), she likes Native Sons, so just goes to show content is very subjective.

Seems we need to calm our tits; and we may need a stallion size slash to boot!

Last edited:
Content being king... I like the songs on self-titled much more than Full Sail. Guess you had to be there? I just don't get the appeal. Worse than ELP's Love Beach, IMHO.
Yeah, I was there. I saw the 1974 tour (Ice Palace, Las Vegas), and 1975 tour (in Reno, NV).

Pathway to Glory, Coming to You, Warching the River Run, etc. yes came off live exceptionally well. This was an amazing live act, wonderful musicianship.

Full Sail remains tied for my favorite AF released 4.0 SACDs. There are others with even better sound or mix, but the material on FS with the quad mix and the mastering job. It’s all there, that one is 9.75 which rounds out to a 10/10 for me.

Not sure what your problem is! In a thread about the self-titled album, you get some people saying "it ain't no Full Sail." So someone pipes up saying, "wtf?" It really is as simple as that.
It’s the Love Beach comment which was cruel and very unusual in an intelligent conversation. Like a belligerent drunk in a bar as Elvis comes on the jukebox, and goes off on his diet 3 months before his death. Just a tacky thing to add, nothing wrong right.

I wasn't there either. I assume you played it past the first track? I really don't like "Lahaina" or "My Music", but love the rest of it. Particularly "Travelin' Blues" and "Watching The River Run". It's also much more sophisticated quad mix than the debut album, which was mixed during the early wave of CBS gold-bordered quad releases. Their third and final quad title, Native Sons, is definitely the weakest of the lot, but I'd still love an SACD release just to hear how the mix sounds discrete (it was only released as an SQ matrix LP).

"Angry Eyes"...just damn. Blows me away every time.

i find the lukewarm response to "Native Sons" that i've seen around online surprising, i absolutely love the album and the Quad mix is totally wonderful. fingers crossed for a DV SACD! 🤞

I love all L&M, except for Native Sons, which I still think is darn near unlistenable (sorry Quad Linda), she likes Native Sons, so just goes to show content is very subjective.

Seems we need to calm our tits; and we may need a stallion size slash to boot!

wow... did you try Native Sons in Quad? the mix is one of the best i've heard.

wow... did you try Native Sons in Quad? the mix is one of the best i've heard.
Yup, the music / content just lays there flatter than a pancake for me, but hey if others love it fantastic. The mix can make a Huge difference in how I relate to an album. Just yesterday I heard the Japanese SACD for “Jeff Beck Group” for the first time. Never used to give the album much thought, but after hearing that, I love it! So maybe a “fresh” coat of paint on Native Sons would help it?

Yup, the music / content just lays there flatter than a pancake for me, but hey if others love it fantastic. The mix can make a Huge difference in how I relate to an album. Just yesterday I heard the Japanese SACD for “Jeff Beck Group” for the first time. Never used to give the album much thought, but after hearing that, I love it! So maybe a “fresh” coat of paint on Native Sons would help it?
I think that the quad mix on the D/V Return to Forever takes a B grade album to A- grade level (the quad mix is so good). So it’s possible Native Sons (in quad) is improved that much. But the album is hitless right? All of their other albums have hit singles and or FM radio tracks that are known. This album has nothing like that going for it.

I think that the quad mix on the D/V Return to Forever takes a B grade album to A- grade level (the quad mix is so good). So it’s possible Native Sons (in quad) is improved that much. But the album is hitless right? All of their other albums have hit singles and or FM radio tracks that are known. This album has nothing like that going for it.
I’ll make this one last comment, then I’m done, this is a Poll for Loggins and Messina not N. S. But in general, I listen to & love many many titles that never even made it to the Radio, let alone had any hit songs.

I’ll make this one last comment, then I’m done, this is a Poll for Loggins and Messina not N. S. But in general, I listen to & love many many titles that never even made it to the Radio, let alone had any hit songs.
I’ll keep going - I have no problem having the final word, bye now. Nothing wrong with hitless albums. But when radio won’t touch a L & M album, it’s not a good sign.

Back