Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And seriously, Adam, what respectable mother would ever name her son ..... PERCY?

See the source image

he looks rather dapper there, with his baton aloft! Percy can put his Faith in me anytime! 🤠

he looks rather dapper there, with his baton aloft! Percy can put his Faith in me anytime! 🤠

I joke about Percy, Adam, but I love his album BOUQUET .......exquisitely gorgeous .......now THAT would make for a stunning D~V Stereo SACD two~fer along with Bouquet of Love:

See the source image

QQ member, Steelydave, who has written those fabulous liner notes for quite a few D~V QUAD releases has mentioned that Michael Dutton is FULLY AWARE of what QQ Forum members want [like MORE ROCK TITLES] ..... and BTW, Mr. Dutton also has a background working in Rock Music ..... but he can only release what's available ..... and affordable, licensing~wise.....so there ARE restrictions. Personally, I'm content with what few rock/jazz titles he's been able to release thus far, but like other QQ members, likewise LUST for MORE 'A' list artists.

I have [reluctantly] been buying almost 99.9% of what D~V has released thus far to support the cause.....and do find myself even playing those easy listening titles [as background music].

What still astounds me about D~V ....... just about EVERY SACD title he HAS released features exemplary mastering making even the most mundane releases easier to digest. I wish the same could be said for modern Rock/POP CDs which sound so compressed as to be totally obnoxious.

So again, KID ... the good with the bad ....... without the UGLY!
Given the value for money and quality mastering I find it easy supporting DV by purchasing what is on offer...and there have been some very pleasant surprises.

QQ member, Steelydave, who has written those fabulous liner notes for quite a few D~V QUAD releases has mentioned that Michael Dutton is FULLY AWARE of what QQ Forum members want [like MORE ROCK TITLES] ..... and BTW, Mr. Dutton also has a background working in Rock Music ..... but he can only release what's available ..... and affordable, licensing~wise.....so there ARE restrictions. Personally, I'm content with what few rock/jazz titles he's been able to release thus far, but like other QQ members, likewise LUST for MORE 'A' list artists.

I have [reluctantly] been buying almost 99.9% of what D~V has released thus far to support the cause.....and do find myself even playing those easy listening titles [as background music].

What still astounds me about D~V ....... just about EVERY SACD title he HAS released features exemplary mastering making even the most mundane releases easier to digest. I wish the same could be said for modern Rock/POP CDs which sound so compressed as to be totally obnoxious.

So again, KID ... the good with the bad ....... without the UGLY!
Amen, brotha, amen!

Given the value for money and quality mastering I find it easy supporting DV by purchasing what is on offer...and there have been some very pleasant surprises.

Absolutely. For years we've been forking over $30
  • for MoFi, AF, and AP Stereo SACDs without flinching .... and outrageous sums just to 'covet' that 5.1 surround bonus disc in many box sets ... and along comes a UK company which mostly specializes in RBCD reissues with a stunning array of gloriously mastered QUAD SACD TWO~FERS for first £10.99 and later £11.99! And yes, some pleasant surprises as well.

I've been a staunch advocate of D~V's efforts since the beginning, even having purchased some of their RBCD two~fers ....... and what stands out is the utmost consistency of all their products.

The BMCs [bitchers, moaners and complainers] are free to cackle all they want about what DV releases as part of their SACD QUAD reissues ........ but as I told the56kid, one has to take the good with the bad ...... and in the endgame, none of it is REALLY bad.....if a bit saccharine for some QQer's tastes.

Last edited:
Absolutely. For years we've been forking over $30
  • for MoFi, AF, and AP Stereo SACDs without flinching .... and outrageous sums just to 'covet' that 5.1 surround bonus disc in many box sets ... and along comes a UK company which mostly specializes in RBCD reissues with a stunning array of gloriously mastered QUAD SACD TWO~FERS for first £10.99 and later £11.99! And yes, some pleasant surprises as well.

I've been a staunch advocate of D~V's efforts since the beginning, even having purchased some of their RBCD two~fers ....... and what stands out is the utmost consistency of all their products.

The BMCs [bitchers, moaners and complainers] are free to cackle all they want about what DV releases as part of their SACD QUAD reissues ........ but as I told the56kid, one has to take the good with the bad ...... and in the endgame, none of it is REALLY bad!
Very pleased w the 4 i picked up so far..ppl, derringer, poco, guess who...would sure like more guess who...
Country rock....any quads of charlie daniels band, marshall tucker...trying to think..?

But yeah...need more rock...jerry lee lewis ...5th dimension...motown...just a lil more oomph DV

Very pleased w the 4 i picked up so far..ppl, derringer, poco, guess who...would sure like more guess who...
Country rock....any quads of charlie daniels band, marshall tucker...trying to think..?

But yeah...need more rock...jerry lee lewis ...5th dimension...motown...just a lil more oomph DV

You're talking another label [UMG] and artists who have NEVER had surround remixes.........but it all sounds good to me!

You're talking another label [UMG] and artists who have NEVER had surround remixes.........but it all sounds good to me!

DV work with Universal, i doubt that'd be a big issue, the problem i can see with the Grass Roots Quad would be locating the mastertapes, reckon they're long gone but i hope I'm wrong.

Anxiously awaiting to see what DV has up for us next...can u tell???

Really really hoping its some rock pop titles

preparing myself for some Easy, Classical or Country which i'll be happy with anyway.. but if it turns out to be Rock/Pop up next i'll be even happier! hopefully not too long now!

I've heard the two Grass Roots Q8's that are out there. Sadly, the quad mixes are not very good for the most part.

To each his own, different strokes for different folks, etc. I rather enjoy them. They're pretty discrete and several tracks include alternate takes compared to the original stereo mixes. For example, "Temptation Eyes" on the "H" cartridge has a synthesizer solo in place of the guitar solo.

Bummer....three dog night???

Two albums came out in quad, Hard Labor and Coming Down Your Way. Hard Labor isn't really discrete at all, it's a lot like some of the Cat Stevens quads where there is some detectable channel separation, but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. Coming Down Your Way is very discrete and would make for an excellent reissue, but as @fredblue stated most of the ABC/GRT quad mixes are off the table. It's been reported that the majority of their master tapes were destroyed in the mid '70s, by order of the label head at the time :(

Yes you are right I have all the titles you said and all the Enoch light records (Am I getting old?)

I stopped worrying about getting old when I actually paid for a Lawrence Welk LP. Not a slight on Mr. Welk, just never had to pay for it before. I had a revelation earlier this week. You are getting old when buying a 45 meant having about 98 cents in your pocket, not a permit.

Back