Andy Jackson mixes for Their Mortal Remains exhibition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I went to Pink Floyd's Their Mortal Remains exhibition today in Madrid. It was opening day at lunch time, so there were like 10 people in total wandering around and I had the chance to be alone in the last room, where Andy together with Senheiser created a 3D surround mix for Arnold Layne and Comfortably Numb.
First time, I caught CN in the middle and it was just ok. Emotional to watch the performance and that was it. But gents, I sat down in the sweet spot and let the programme began from the start. The Atmos-like mix, beginning with street sound effects and a projector screen opening down was good and Arnold Layne began. First thought: uhmmm, this sound like mono, all sound coming from the front with hardly any stereo effect. Then the chorus began and it was heaven! Syd's vocals all around you, Rick's clearly separated, the synths swirling around... I still can't tell if it is a full discrete mix, but I can assure it's 100% immersive. Wow, I immediately thought I wanted to listen to it at home repeatedly.
Then back to CN and I had goosebumps this time. I clearly remember a moment when Roger was singing all from the above, amazing. The third time I wandered around the room speakers analyzing the mix, drums for example spreading all around the room, cymbals in the middle-front, rest on the rears. Tim Renwick guitar on your right. Again, heavenly experience for surround lovers.
If you have been to the exhibition, what are your thoughts?
And if you haven't, please go! I paid 15 euros for the ticket and just the last room pays it back.

I went to see the show at the V&A in London a while back. It was pretty busy... I remember getting a bit annoyed because everyone was in my way! Grrr... Had to look over everybody’s head to try and see the exhibits! 🤬

I was a bit disappointed with the Sennheiser bit at the end. They made a big play about the immersive show at the end. Advertised as over 80 speakers or something? But it wasn’t really discrete as far as I could tell? It was a couple of live songs from Live 8. It sounded really loud but not great from a surround perspective as far as I recall? They played Comfortably Numb but Arnold Layne certainly wasn’t one of them?! 😱 They may be completely different cuts as the songs played in London were from the live show...

Would love to check it out again if they’ve had a switcheroo... I might have just got a bit annoyed with all the people there to start with! 😊

Arnold Layne began. First thought: uhmmm, this sound like mono, all sound coming from the front with hardly any stereo effect. Then the chorus began and it was heaven! Syd's vocals all around you, Rick's clearly separated, the synths swirling around... I still can't tell if it is a full discrete mix, but I can assure it's 100% immersive. Wow, I immediately thought I wanted to listen to it at home repeatedly.

This is intriguing because "Arnold Layne" has never had a true stereo release, which left me with the impression that the multitracks are long gone. Well, multitracks for the complete song, anyway. There at least are some 2 or 4 track pieces left at the end of the master, but I don't think it's the complete song and don't know if it's the master take.

This is intriguing because "Arnold Layne" has never had a true stereo release, which left me with the impression that the multitracks are long gone. Well, multitracks for the complete song, anyway. There at least are some 2 or 4 track pieces left at the end of the master, but I don't think it's the complete song and don't know if it's the master take.
It could well be an upmix, but I had the opposite impression. Most likely, I'll return to the exhibition once more and expend more time in the listening room.
I want to revisit some items that caught my attention, such as the Animals mini documentary (with Knebworth footage with good quality live audio that I'd swear was not fully in sync with the pictures), Storm speaking about shooting the Momentary cover with background music I'd never heard, work in progress lyrics for On the Turning Away and Wearing the Inside Out, etc.
The inflatables are great: the father and the fridge with worms from 1977 tour are amazing.
I was only disappointed with the metal and stone heads from the Division Bell cover, as the replicas looked like being a bit poor, in my opinion

I went to see the show at the V&A in London a while back. It was pretty busy... I remember getting a bit annoyed because everyone was in my way! Grrr... Had to look over everybody’s head to try and see the exhibits! 🤬

Would love to check it out again if they’ve had a switcheroo... I might have just got a bit annoyed with all the people there to start with! 😊
Me too, it wasn't so much a nice stroll more a dodge people to see stuff walk round, still enjoyed it though (as I'm a complete Floyd freak), and I was there on my 60th!

What a different experience! I was completely alone too on the two Money mixing consoles. For any strange reason people here did not stop to play with the mixes. It was really good to be able to listen to all the isolated instruments.

It could well be an upmix, but I had the opposite impression.

Maybe the multis really are out there and they just never had the desire to do a stereo mix until now. There's always seemed to be an odd non-logic to which of the early singles are available in true stereo and which aren't. For example, the A side "Point Me at the Sky" isn't while its B side "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" is!

Good news! There is some real hard and audible information on this topic which can be heard here:

This is a special on Pink Floyd on the BBC programme The Record Producers from 03 October 2011, where they actually go through the multitracks and discuss them in detail. Joe Boyd himself (among others) helps to guide us through the tracks, which can be heard sometimes alone, but often beneath the discussion. In any case, you can hear what is what on the available multitracks!

Arnold is NOT the only song they review - this is an amazing 43 minutes! But for Arnold Layne, you can skip ahead to the 3:00 mark, or just enjoy the whole program which is amazing. Enjoy!

This is a special on Pink Floyd on the BBC programme The Record Producers from 03 October 2011, where they actually go through the multitracks and discuss them in detail. Joe Boyd himself (among others) helps to guide us through the tracks, which can be heard sometimes alone, but often beneath the discussion. In any case, you can hear what is what on the available multitracks!

Yes! That's actually what I was thinking of when I mentioned some of the multis being available for "Arnold Layne". But it sounds like the tantalizing bit of stereo we get to hear is something that was left over on the master tape. It's never made clear one way or another if it's possible to create a true stereo mix of the released take.

My favorite part of that documentary is hearing a studio recording of the original lyrics to "Echoes".

I was a bit disappointed with the Sennheiser bit at the end. They made a big play about the immersive show at the end. Advertised as over 80 speakers or something? But it wasn’t really discrete as far as I could tell? It was a couple of live songs from Live 8. It sounded really loud but not great from a surround perspective as far as I recall? They played Comfortably Numb but Arnold Layne certainly wasn’t one of them?! 😱 They may be completely different cuts as the songs played in London were from the live show...

I went to the exhibition when it was in London, and they definitely played Arnold Layne followed by the Live8 performance of Comfortably Numb, maybe the footage changed during the exhibition’s run; having heard Comfortably Numb so many times in Surround on the various David Gilmour DVDs, it was Arnold Layne that had more impact for me....

There are a couple of You Tube videos showing the Arnold Layne footage in London

I went to the exhibition when it was in London, and they definitely played Arnold Layne followed by the Live8 performance of Comfortably Numb, maybe the footage changed during the exhibition’s run; having heard Comfortably Numb so many times in Surround on the various David Gilmour DVDs, it was Arnold Layne that had more impact for me....

There are a couple of You Tube videos showing the Arnold Layne footage in London

Wow, that does look good! I remember those screens up the top but alas I didn't see it... Perhaps Arnold was on a sandwich break when I got there?! It was quite late in the day but I can't see why they'd edit the songs? Ah well never mind... The memorabilia shop had quite a lot of cool stuff at the end too...

52 years ago today was an historic day for the Floyd and their use of surround sound. This is from their Facebook page:

The band's show today in 1967 saw the first public use of the forerunner to the Azimuth Co-ordinator - a joystick to pan sound effects and music around the auditorium, giving an immersive sound experience to the audience. Various props were on the stage, along with bubble machines, and some audio sequences on tape. A key turning point for the band, with ideas they were to develop to great effect...

I have some if those posters that are projected on the wall during this video😀

I'm guessing that's one of the first uses of 'surround sound' panning at a rock/pop concert?

('Classical' was there well before them , e.g. Varese's 'Poeme Electronique' installation from 1958. Which PF perhaps knew of....)

Good news! There is some real hard and audible information on this topic which can be heard here:

Arnold is NOT the only song they review - this is an amazing 43 minutes! But for Arnold Layne, you can skip ahead to the 3:00 mark, or just enjoy the whole program which is amazing. Enjoy!

Wow....that was a totally cool interview/doc!! Thanks for posting!!! :QQlove

I read an interview with one of the Hipgnosis guys - can't remember which one - that said he had a recording of the Games For May concert. That recording is still one of my holy grails. Would so love to hear that concert!
Mine too....I've heard boots of it though😀

Back