HiRez Poll Koz, David - THE DANCE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of David Koz - THE DANCE

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Loz Front.jpgLoz Back.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this one has been buried for a while... and no votes!

Well, just dusted it off and gave it another spin. All-in-all, I really like it.

If you look up "smooth jazz" in the dictionary, you'll undoubtedly find a picture of "The Dance". It's really too bad, because this disc is exceptional from virtually every measure, except for the fact that it is cliche'd AS HELL for the smooth jazz genre.

I mean, I LOVE smooth jazz... yep, it's been a "guilty pleasure" of mine. But the whole thing has worn way too thin and became too formulaic way too fast. In a vacuum, I would give "The Dance" ten points. The fidelity is superb, the surround mix is awesome, the music is exceptional... but we've heard it all before.

I still love this disc, but listening to it fills me with a strange sense of mixed elation and embarrassment. I'll come in at eight points. Still a worthy listen, and if you haven't hit yourself in the head with the "smooth jazz" mallet yet, you'll enjoy it all the more (just don't expect it to last).

I keep seeing this disc in the stores (!), I suppose I should grab it if the surround mix is actually good. Even if it's just for some surround background music....

Thanks Cai!

After reading Cai's post I decided to get this one.

The only thing I knew about Dave Koz is that his DVD-A of THE DANCE seems to be in every DVD-A bin that I've ever seen in a retail store, and it has always been in them, suggesting that no one ever buys it! Being a Capitol DVD-A, it also bears a $20+ retail price, which I believe helps to keep it in the racks and out of buyers hands.

That being said, I bought one, and I must say that it's a spectacular DVD-A presentation. There's a super Capitol Surround trailer at the begining, kind of reminicent of a classic LaserDisc or DVD Video Movie sudio logo. Sounds swirl around as the Capitol tower looms and zooms over Sunset and Vine.

The disc itself has an excellent menu, giving you a choice from the get go of HiRes, Dolby Digital, stereo, etc. There are graphics and credits for each song.

The surround mix is very discrete. It's a very immersive mix, which is the way I like it. I mean, why bother with 5.1 if you're not going to use the whole soundfield.

Everything about this disc is top notch..................but the music is not exactly what I normally listen to. It's pleasant, it's nice, it's well crafted and played, but to me it's a bit bland. I think Cai hit it right on the head.

I would say it's very "KennyG"-ish. That does not make it bad, it's just that you have to be in the mood for this stuff, at least I do. There are a few tunes with guest vocalists, most noticably the 80's hit "Careless Whisper".

I will agree with Cai and give this an 8, just because the presentation, the DVD-A authoring, and especially the mix are exceptional. If you're up for smooth jazz, you cannot go wrong with this disc.

As a side note, it's really a shame that there are/were not more Capitol DVD-A discs. If this disc is any indication, they were prepared to create some awesome DVD-A discs, and they had a great back catalog to work with, even if you leave the Beatles and Solo Beatles out of the picture.

Ah, what could have been.................................:(

Everything about this disc is top notch..................but the music is not exactly what I normally listen to. It's pleasant, it's nice, it's well crafted and played, but to me it's a bit bland. I think Cai hit it right on the head.

I would say it's very "KennyG"-ish. That does not make it bad, it's just that you have to be in the mood for this stuff, at least I do. There are a few tunes with guest vocalists, most noticably the 80's hit "Careless Whisper".

I will agree with Cai and give this an 8, just because the presentation, the DVD-A authoring, and especially the mix are exceptional. If you're up for smooth jazz, you cannot go wrong with this disc.

As a side note, it's really a shame that there are/were not more Capitol DVD-A discs. If this disc is any indication, they were prepared to create some awesome DVD-A discs, and they had a great back catalog to work with, even if you leave the Beatles and Solo Beatles out of the picture.

Ah, what could have been.................................:(

Have to agree with Jon about this disc....

I bought as a disc I could play with my "better half" in the room - and a glass of wine at the end of a long day....just like :
  • The Diana Krall SACDs
  • Aretha Franklin Quadio DVD
  • Marvin Gaye....etc...

Back