DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That set is for the die hard fan...IMO....I ordered the 2 singles which covers "most" of the surround in the set....this one and this one
I am still confused. The two discs you mention are from a 40th Anniversary. Also there is talk on this thread about SW remixing his own remix? There are 40 year stuff for sale and 50 year stuff for sale, really confusing to me.
If I may ask, is there a chronological order of these two 40 and 50 releases, all in 5.1 or stereo, different box sets, the hobbyist in me is very interested., Sorry lots of questions on King Crimson?

The two being released are the completion of the 40th Anniversary Series.
The upcoming Court release is in honor of their 50th Anniversary and a more inclusive package than the original one that kicked off the big box 40th Series.
Yes, Steven said he remixed Court for the final big box release in the series based on a decade of experience. I look forward to hearing it.

Hope this helps a little.

The two being released are the completion of the 40th Anniversary Series.
The upcoming Court release is in honor of their 50th Anniversary and a more inclusive package than the original one that kicked off the big box 40th Series.
Yes, Steven said he remixed Court for the final big box release in the series based on a decade of experience. I look forward to hearing it.

Hope this helps a little.
And I assume the release of the upcoming 50 is not for sale yet?

Burning Shed has a decent breakdown if you look at the Description and Tracks tabs.
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_the-power-to-believe_cd_dvda?filter_tag=King CrimsonThe DVD-A features the new master in hi-res stereo audio, the album in lossless 5.1 Surround Sound (mixed by David Singleton).

https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_the-reconstrukction-of-light_cd_dvda?filter_tag=King CrimsonThe DVD-A features the new mixes in hi-res stereo audio and the album in lossless 5.1 Surround Sound (mixed by David Singleton).

https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_heaven-and-earth_boxset?filter_tag=King CrimsonLooks like the same 2 DVD-A included in the two individual packages.
BR
The ReconstruKction Of Light Original stereo mixes, New stereo mixes, 5.1 Surround All New to Blu-Ray
The Power To Believe Original stereo mixes, Expanded stereo mix, 5.1 Surround
EleKtriK Stereo & 5.1 Surround
Plus: Happy with…/Level 5/Live in London 2000 (stereo) 24/48 DTS HD-MA (surround) & 24/48 PCM (stereo)

Looks like the DTS-HD MA versions as well as EleKtriK, Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With, Level 5 and Live In London 2000 are the Surround items in the big box not included in the small ones.

I'm more psyched about this:

This year will also see the release of the documentary Cosmic F*Kc. Directed by Toby Amies, the film will include archival footage and interviews with King Crimson members past and present. It’s set for release in late 2019. A soundtrack is also forthcoming.

I am not a King Crimson fan but is this what you all are talking about? Wonder if it would be worth it to me, 24 discs, that's a lot.
$206.00 Pre Order Box Set
Limited Edition boxed set chronicling King Crimson from 1997-2008, including 24 discs (18 CDs, 4 Blu-ray, 2 DVD-A). 18 CDs of studio & live material from 1997/2008, including 3 CDs featuring a re-imagining of The ConstruKction of Light, an extended/enhanced stereo mix of The Power To Believe and the Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With and Level 5 mini albums. 3 BD discs of studio/live material (audio). 2 DVD-as of studio/live live material (audio). 1 BD of concert material (video). 12" box with booklet & memorabilia and new sleeve notes by Sid Smith & David Singleton. Contains previously unreleased material. One disc contains The ReconstruKction Of Light, with new stereo & 5.1 mixes with drums completely newly recorded by Pat Mastelotto and more. Includes an idealized set list drawn from the NY run of gigs from KC's 2008 Tour. Contains approximately 10 hours of audio/video tour footage.
View attachment 40296

If you are interested in buying this set...the best place...BY FAR...is amazon UK...right now the cost to the US is $144.50...I do expect amazon US to drop...but I'm not sure it will drop that much...

If you see the disclaimer about NOT shipping to the US...just ignore it and go thru the checkout process...

Last edited:
How many more anniversary remixes of this do we need? 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th...Put it to bed already. We need more Parsons, Roxy Music and GG, not another ITCOTKC.

There is ample reason for them doing the first record again, I believe because they found new multi-tracks in the time since the first box came out. I also think Steven wanted another crack at it since his skills at mixing in surround have improved, and there wasn't a chance to do it in Blu-ray quality.

How many more anniversary remixes of this do we need? 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th...Put it to bed already. We need more Parsons, Roxy Music and GG, not another ITCOTKC.
There’s only one set of remixes. That would be for the 40th anniversary editions. In the court is the exception with a second remix later this year. It’s also worth mentioning that the new box set would really fill in a gap, as the 40th box is going for crazy money online and wasn’t including all concerts from 1969. In all honesty I don’t see the problem here. I’m quite happy they are also planning to improve on the previous remix.
I didn’t buy the previous box set, so for me this new release is good news!

It's possible that we may get more Gentle Giant remixes (like "Free Hand" and "Interview") in the future from SW, but he can only pick and choose his projects based on what he's offered, so if he has the time to perfect an old remix like "In the Court of the Crimson King" and make it better, more power to him!

There was a second printing (is that the right word?) of the first 40th anniversary box. Has that sold out as well?!

I remember the first going for 500 bucks, easily. Haven't priced it lately (off to Discogs!).

Edit: Ok, just over 200 bucks! Still, it went down. . . .

Steven said that Court was one of his first commissioned mixes and he now thought he count do better with more experience. That the first set is now gone, and they have maybe got a few new archive things to sweeten the pot I say bring it on.

As always, if you feel they are not giving you value for $$, don't buy it....but yeah...more Roxy please, though not just Steven's choice - to Bryan and Phil - they all don't have to be done like there first...the recent Be Bop Deluxe sets would be a great option to go for.....

but yeah...more Roxy please, though not just Steven's choice - to Bryan and Phil - they all don't have to be done like there first...the recent Be Bop Deluxe sets would be a great option to go for.....

Or even Jethro Tull/Marillion-sized deluxe reissue from Roxy Music would be perfect too!

:)

There is ample reason for them doing the first record again, I believe because they found new multi-tracks in the time since the first box came out.

AIUI, the 40th Anniversary 5.1 mix of ItCotKC was the result of finally locating all the multitracks for it. Not sure what new multis would be...

Here we go!
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_itcotck-50th-anniversary_3cd_blu-ray
50th anniversary 3CD/Blu-ray edition of King Crimson’s seminal debut presented in 2 x gatefold sleeve containing the individual CDs plus booklet with sleeve-notes by Sid Smith (packed in a rigid slipcase).

CD1 - 2019 Steven Wilson stereo mix (approved by Robert Fripp) alonside 2019 instrumental mixes (with Moonchild edited to song length)
CD2 - An expanded edition of the alternate album from the Blu-Ray
CD3 - The original master edition of the 1969 mix plus additional tracks

Blu-Ray Contents:

* 2019, 5.1 and stereo mixes by Steven Wilson in 24/96 resolution (for the first time)
* Original master edition of the 1969 album mix in 24/96 stereo.
* A complete alternate album comprising 2019 mixes by Steven Wilson including a much extended duo version of I Talk to The Wind, a June 19th version of ‘The Court of the Crimson King’ from the band’s final day at Morgan studios in June 1969, an isolated voice dominant version of ‘Epitaph’ & a version of ‘21st Century Schizoid Man’ which combines the Morgan studios instrumental with Greg Lake vocals from Wessex studios and August 2019 overdubs by Mel Collins & Jakko Jakszyk – the latter two mixed by David Singleton.
* A further album’s worth of additional material drawn from studio takes - much of it mixed by Steven Wilson & including extracts from the ‘wind session’ that produced the intro to 21CSM in stereo for the first time, the single a/b sides of the album title track drawn, for the first time since on disc, from the original master tapes & more are also included.
* The Blu-Ray is completed by a set of 2019 instrumental mixes and the surviving fragment of black & white footage from Hyde Park in 1969

All material on this set will also feature on the forthcoming Complete 1969 Sessions (the eighth boxed set in the series documenting King Crimson’s studio and live recordings from 1969 onwards).

Back