selling on ebay question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've been selling some titles on ebay lately. Mostly, really good luck. Recently, I had a title for sale, and a person from Mexico asked me if I would ship to Mexico. Of course, I said no...as I only sell in US.

He then assured me shipping to Mexico is easy, lots of members on ebay have done so with no issues. Couple days later, I get message through ebay and he has paid for shipping via a third party. (Can't remember the names, but I got all the info via ebay). Essentially, all I had to do was ship to a forwarder in Cincinnati, who would then take care of all the paper work and ship it direct to this person's house (or, whatever address they gave)

All went fine - received notification that the forwarder in Cinci received it. A day later, I received a notification that they shipped it. Then, a few days later, I received notification it was delivered.

Just today, I received a message from the buyer saying it never arrived and they want to know what to do. OK, right now I'm so effing pissed off I could spit fire. This person chose to pay for this service...I didn't.

Is ebay going to force me to refund their money? I am going to be furious......I know if I don't this person will probably trash my name on ebay......

Comments?

Time and datePlaceMessage
Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:51 PMMexico City , XXDelivered
Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:09 PMMexico City , XXOut for Delivery
Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:14 PMMexico City , XXIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:59 PMMexico City , XXIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:54 PMMexico City , XXIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 11:24 AMMexico City , XXIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:20 AMMexico City , XXCustoms Cleared
Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:11 AMMexico City , XXIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:22 AMCincinnati , OHIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:32 AMCincinnati , OHIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:28 AMCincinnati , OHIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:05 AMCincinnati , OHIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:01 AMCincinnati , OHIn Transit with Destination Carrier
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:28 AMErlanger , KentuckyShipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:15 AMErlanger , KYIn transit - Exception - Shipment Delayed
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:19 PMErlanger , KentuckyCustoms Documentation and Labeling
Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:19 PMErlanger , KentuckyProcessing at Global Shipping Center
Sunday, May 12, 2019 7:19 AMERLANGER , KYArrived at Global Shipping Center
Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:48 AMCINCINNATIARRIVAL AT UNIT
Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:48 AMCINCINNATIPROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:48 AMCINCINNATI , OHIn Transit - Arrived at Post Office
Friday, May 10, 2019 8:43 AMSOUTHAVENARRIVE USPS FACILITY
Friday, May 10, 2019 8:43 AMSOUTHAVEN , MSIn Transit - Arrived at USPS Facility
Friday, May 10, 2019 7:32 AMMEMPHISDEPART USPS FACILITY
Friday, May 10, 2019 7:32 AMMEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit - Departed USPS Regional Facility
Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:35 PMMEMPHISARRIVE USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:49 PMMEMPHISARRIVE USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:49 PMMEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit - Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:34 PMHAZELWOODDEPART USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:34 PMSAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit - Departed USPS Regional Facility
Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:46 AMHAZELWOODDEPART USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:34 AMHAZELWOODDEPART USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:52 AMHAZELWOODPROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:52 AMSAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit - Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:47 PMCHAMPAIGNPROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:47 PMCHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTERIn Transit - Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:07 PMGIBSON CITYDEPART POST OFFICE
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:07 PMGIBSON CITY , ILIn Transit - Departed Post Office
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:23 PMGIBSON CITYUSPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:23 PMGIBSON CITY , ILIn Transit - USPS in possession of item
Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:36 PMGIBSON CITYPRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:46 PMGIBSON CITYSHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM

Gene, sounds like you are OK due to tracking. I have had two delivery's, not discs, small little things that didn't amount to much money that where posted as delivered and I did not get, also I got a neighbors package that was expensive to them, they showed as delivered, but actually was delivered to me. She was going crazy flipping out with carrier, so when I knocked on her door, 6 hours later after I got home from work she was quite happy.

I just "followed" the tracking and the latest tracking number is actually DHL, and it says it was delivered, and signed for by "xxxxxx"
This case is closed, as far as I'm concerned...

I'm with you, no selling outside U.S. at least on ebay, too many unknowns. Maybe OK if they are a member here you know well and send directly to them in another country (with tracking & not ebay.) But to some unknown person on ebay - I say "No Way."

As a foreigner to US citizens, I can be both bothered by a "No foreign buyers" policy and yet understand it completely. I get frustrated with Canada Post for dropping things at my door and sometines signing for them themselves. My apartmenr manager also signs for all large parcels and once it is sugned for I have no protection. Amazon is another beast all together. They leave parcels at your door without knocking. My building does not allow this and penalises the occupant. Amazon uses a number of shippers to save money, as does eBays global shipping program. I get stuff delvered to my partners place instead of my own for a small bit of safety. In Canada, the postal service makes it diffichlt to make claims. Either you have to make the sender jump through hoops or if it crosses our border you are screwed. US post also wnds its safety when it crossed the border. Royal Mail is the same. At least Paypal is better than international money orders or sending cash like the early days of eBay.

I never ship outside the United States. It's just not worth the potential hassle.

I ordered a couple of DV titles via eBay. They provided a La Poste tracking number. The status still shows "Tracking Number Provided" even though I received the items over a month ago. When I click the link for La Poste and put in the tracking number, La Poste gives me a nice message in French that it is an invalid number. Not good.

I never ship outside the United States. It's just not worth the potential hassle.

I ordered a couple of DV titles via eBay. They provided a La Poste tracking number. The status still shows "Tracking Number Provided" even though I received the items over a month ago. When I click the link for La Poste and put in the tracking number, La Poste gives me a nice message in French that it is an invalid number. Not good.
I do not trust the eBay tracking buttons, they are often not updated. The link from La Poste may be invalid as it has been delivered before a specified period of time. Canada Post is the same. As to non delivery, I have only had that once from an eBay purchase and the seller disappeared after a nice email suggesting I wait longer. Not a high cost loss but unfortunate. Most people, no matter where we are from, are decent honest people. The few who aren't screw it for the rest of us. As to international shipping from the US, I am curious why it seems to be a difficult proposition. Does the US Post make it difficult? Are there not postal outlets that are convenient? I never understood the appeal of the global shipping program in eBay as it is more expensive and takes longer.

I do not trust the eBay tracking buttons, they are often not updated. The link from La Poste may be invalid as it has been delivered before a specified period of time. Canada Post is the same. As to non delivery, I have only had that once from an eBay purchase and the seller disappeared after a nice email suggesting I wait longer. Not a high cost loss but unfortunate. Most people, no matter where we are from, are decent honest people. The few who aren't screw it for the rest of us. As to international shipping from the US, I am curious why it seems to be a difficult proposition. Does the US Post make it difficult? Are there not postal outlets that are convenient? I never understood the appeal of the global shipping program in eBay as it is more expensive and takes longer.

I think it would take someone who's actually worked in the USPS to answer some of these questions. Probably as complicated as the tax code!

It's not a difficult process, really. But, it is a process. I suspect many folks just don't like the extra paperwork and the unknown cost as they consider these things. That is my excuse. Until I find it difficult to sell a product within the US, I don't see any reason to change. If I were a large vendor, then obviously I would have to change my thinking.

As far as the global shipping, I was not even aware of it until the buyer I mention in this thread chose to go that route.....I figured, he paid for it and all I have to do is ship it locally and the freight forwarder took care of the rest. :)

I am a little conflicted by all this, because I've continued to enjoy receiving music from all over the world (except China and Russia), but yet I'm unwilling to reciprocate.:oops:

I am a little conflicted by all this, because I've continued to enjoy receiving music from all over the world (except China and Russia), but yet I'm unwilling to reciprocate.:oops:
Yeah...but I've never purchased from an individual out of US.....I just don't trust I guess. Call me paranoid. :confused:

Be careful with shipping across the border. Unless you ship via a carrier that provides tracking all the way to the destination, you can be screwed like I was. Several years ago I sold a CD title for $110 on ebay to a purchaser from China. It was the MoFi 2-disc set of PF's The Wall. I specifically stated in the auction that I only shipped to US and Canada, but I decided to trust this guy. No idea why, but I did. He did a "buy it now" without asking me first. I had the Paypal money, so I went ahead.

The only service that would ship to China (at least then) was the US Postal Service. So off it went. A month later, the guy contacts me and says it never arrived. He had the tracking number, which showed tracking info, but the US post office doesn't operate inside China. They pass it over the border to China's postal system, with no tracking inside China. The USPS tracking stops at the border. Same going into Canada...passes to Canada Post with no tracking once it's inside Canada. UPS and Fedex operate inside Canada so they will provide tracking and proof of delivery.

This guy scammed me. He knew it could not be tracked inside China's system because there is no tracking number provided. Since I had no way to prove it was delivered (only proof of shipment), he filed a claim with ebay. Since I could only provide proof of shipment, not delivery, ebay's policy is to refund the buyer's money. Period, case closed. I'm out $110 and he probably is enjoying his free CDs.

I'll never ship anything outside the U.S. again unless I know who I'm shipping to, and proof of delivery is available.

You were lucky that the forwarder used DHL which provides tracking inside Mexico.

Back