Peter Gabriel - So 25th anniversary box set preorder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat54

http://petergabriel.com/so25/

I was hoping we would get some hi-rez 5.1 from Peter, but alas not So. :(
At least there will be a concert in surround, Live in Athens 1987, no info on DTS or DD.
At £94.47 it's a stretch.
McKaylaisnotimpressed.jpg

I wont bother either. What a shame. This album is one of those that could be very interactive with 5.1 audio and those magnificent music film clips that were created. It's not going to happen.(n)

I'm not biting either. If I did, I'd then have to buy both the Classic Albums on Bluray and the live in Athens on Bluray when it (surely) inevitably comes along.

£80 for one CD of demos and an SD DVD of the Athens show- nahhh.

Reseurecting this short long dead thread.
I have several(3?), original digital versions of So.
Album, , EP, Single.
Burned out on it so long ago I like it again.

Interesting article on So:
Peter Gabriel So

For better or worse it prompted me to order the set for the download.

I'm not sure you'll get the download anymore as it was provided by Society of Sound, and I think they've shut up shop or are going to. The whole box wasn't available for download, either. If you wanted the album in hi-rez, download cards came with the more recent half speed cut vinyl editions. As I recall the surround mix for the live stuff is minimal, to put it politely. I had to check the rear speakers to hear if anything was there, IIRC.

EDIT: I see from the article that the download is available through PG's people. For what it's worth, I compared the '12 vinyl and the 45rpm cut '16 vinyl and prefered the sound of the '16. Strangely the '16 hi-res downloads give the album title as So (2012 Remaster).

Last edited:
Interesting... It was immediately apparent that the CD in the box was crushed to death, while to my ears, I thought the hi-res download sounded very much like the '02 Cousins remaster. I just assumed it was that master at its original resolution (24/48 seemed plausible for 2002). This article seems to prove otherwise.

I've also never heard the original CD mastering, only the '02 and the two '12s.

I've never heard the original CD mastering either, and I am intrigued. I originally had the album on cassette and that was very bassy (which I liked) and I remember being a little disappointed with the 2002 CD. (Didn't have the SACD and never heard it.) I've heard at least four cuts on vinyl: a UK Townhouse cut, an 80s German cut, and the aforementioned 25th and 2016 45rpm. I liked the 25th anniversary one the least as I recall.

So, SO needs a 96/24 5.1 [or ATMOS] physical disc remix/remaster! One of Peter's finest moments, IMO.

Be an Angel, Gabriel, and grant our wish?

See the source image

SO, I'll see what I can do ....mere mortals

The way this album was recorded, it would prove very difficult, if not near-impossible to remix; it seems like a kind of Fleetwood Mac Tango In The Night situation, unfortunately...

The way this album was recorded, it would prove very difficult, if not near-impossible to remix; it seems like a kind of Fleetwood Mac Tango In The Night situation, unfortunately...
At the very least, I imagine it would be difficult to recreate the stereo mix, Steven Wilson style. I'm sure the mixed analog/digital multis are there, and maybe the recallable mixes (floppies) from the SSL computer, but without the original console and tape machines—which, I presume, are no longer in Gabriel's possession—it would be a Herculean task to reassemble the bits and pieces from scratch.

A brand new mix, though, without regard for the original stereo? That could be much easier.

At the very least, I imagine it would be difficult to recreate the stereo mix, Steven Wilson style. I'm sure the mixed analog/digital multis are there, and maybe the recallable mixes (floppies) from the SSL computer, but without the original console and tape machines—which, I presume, are no longer in Gabriel's possession—it would be a Herculean task to reassemble the bits and pieces from scratch.

A brand new mix, though, without regard for the original stereo? That could be much easier.

About half of it has been released in surround already. Why bother with a Steven Wilson stereo remix, when an excellent stereo mix exists already? Isn't that what SW has done in the past as the basis of getting the surround mix to have the same kind of overall mix balance: effectively a work part?

I assume you are referring to the PLAY collection. Those are mostly different versions of the songs on So. The version of "Big Time" on PLAY is pretty sad.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. When you say different versions, you mean balances that don't sound near identical to the stereo levels rather than different recordings, yes? I'm fine with Big Time having significant differences, personally, but it's not a favourite track on the album for me. I can get that other people - the majority even - not being happy with that track, let alone the whole album having a different approach to what they fell in love with.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. When you say different versions, you mean balances that don't sound near identical to the stereo levels rather than different recordings, yes? I'm fine with Big Time having significant differences, personally, but it's not a favourite track on the album for me. I can get that other people - the majority even - not being happy with that track, let alone the whole album having a different approach to what they fell in love with.
No. the differences I recall are more than just levels and include new parts entirely, or conspicuously missing parts. IIRC most affected are Big Time (the worst of the bunch), In Your Eyes, Red Rain. There may well be others that I don't recall.

No. the differences I recall are more than just levels and include new parts entirely, or conspicuously missing parts. IIRC most affected are Big Time (the worst of the bunch), In Your Eyes, Red Rain. There may well be others that I don't recall.
Okay, I think we're on the same page but I didn't describe it very well. Yes as I recall they were all noticeably different, but Big Time especially. Mind you, having read the above linked article it does make sense as to why that may be, or maybe PG was very happy to have a revised view of the tracks at the time.

Why bother with a Steven Wilson stereo remix, when an excellent stereo mix exists already? Isn't that what SW has done in the past as the basis of getting the surround mix to have the same kind of overall mix balance: effectively a work part?
Yes, and that's my point exactly. It would be difficult to arrive at a pre-surround starting point near-identical to the original stereo, making a true-to-the-original surround mix nigh on impossible.

Back