DVD-A & SACD Lookout List!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the Sony titles that were released with a cardboard slipcase, my opinion is that the cardboard slipcase adds value to the SACD. After all, that cardboard slipcase is unique to that title and format as opposed to the generic plastic slipcase. Kind of like an antique toy having its original box.

Have quite a few with the cardboard slipcase, a couple off the top of my head Thriller and Abraxas. I think original DVD-AUDIO releases in the CD case before the larger ones should be more valuable also. Maybe in later years they will be, I've got 4 of the original DVD-AUDIO CD case releases.💪

Edit: Standard Jewel Boxes !
Core
L.A. Woman
Machine Head
Brain Salad Surgery..

Last edited:
How about the SACDs in DVD-Audio jewel cases?

4133773819_e7b718a975.jpg
4134536242_3278f39c7e.jpg

Btw, both feature videos on the Enhanced CD layer.

..and to think i gave some of my dupes away.. and some of them to people who don't talk to me anymore with no just cause.. people can be such c*nts its just not cricket! ah well, we move on don't we! 🤣

Then Adam, demand those precious discs back and send yer ole friend 4 ears a copy via Royal, Royal Mail. I can assure you, I'm not a C*nt! Rather, an Officer and a Gentleman...once I get my Geres, er, Gears in motion!

Ship Ahoy, Matey!⛵

Last edited:
Edit: Standard Jewel Boxes !
Core
L.A. Woman
Machine Head
Brain Salad Surgery..
I have STP's Core DVD-A in a standard jewel box, too, plus the ELV1S DVD-A, and a handful of the older DTS-CD titles. :) Some of those never received a larger super jewel box release.

It’s the Sony stuff in particular that’s been really crazy lately. While the good WEA DVD-A titles (The Captain & Me, Kamakiriad, Foreigner 4, etc) tend to sit in the $50-80 range, Sony titles like Ship Ahoy and Toys In The Attic are hitting $150+. Perhaps collectors are aware some of the Sony discs are sourced from quad masters? Maybe it's just the allure of those gold slipcovers?

I usually can't bring myself to drop over $100 on a single disc, but I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on a copy of Ship Ahoy recently - it's just that good. As Clint says, the top discs demand the top prices...

I read a article that predicted that Toy's in the Attic SACD would be one of those 1k price points used. So I thought about that 🤔
I didn't get into surround sound as a avenue for extra income but a thousand dollars for a 25.00 disc 🤔
Anyways I started a on and off search on eBay for any Toys for sale and 1st and foremost to have an extra available for my son. (Have 3) I bought a used one for $48, case was cracked no slip cover release, later my other son said "Hey Dad there's a brand new Sealed Toys Sacd listed". I bought that even cheaper for $40.00 brand new mint factory sealed slip case release.🤪 I got both of these within a year of the other and hinted around to my other son that I had extra copies and 1 was his. He just got married and his surround system got castrated down to a sound bar S.O.B. I thought eventually it would be a battle he would win, wrong ! So I just sat on both for years, I tried to interfere and said here is the Toys Sacd I saved for you. Nope, son said didn't think he'd have the surround system going until they moved into a bigger house. So I sold the first one as an auction (the used one) and was disappointed it got up to only $80.00 🤔 what no thousand ! Well I'm not doing that again, so I sat on the new one another couple years. Saw some used ones listed for over $300 and thought I'd go a ways under and offer free shipping with insurance and signature requirement. (Would have hated to lose it in an eBay scam). Ended up taking a best offer that was a price that we both were happy with. I don't think it will ever get as high as the Sacd of "Rocks" interesting that even their 2.0 titles approach $100.00
I did see a Toys in the Attic SACD sell for under 10 bucks once, I wasn't looking soon enough.

I read a article that predicted that Toy's in the Attic SACD would be one of those 1k price points used.

I don't think it will ever get as high as the Sacd of "Rocks" interesting that even their 2.0 titles approach $100.00

I paid $50 for a used copy (with slipcover) two or three years ago. I actually spin the Q8 more :ROFLMAO:.

I've often wondered if all those single-layer stereo discs were actually supposed to have multichannel layers, but had them canned at the last minute. Thriller only came out in stereo, yet a 5.1 mix was commissioned and abandoned. This old ad shows Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood as Multichannel/Stereo, yet it came out as stereo-only. Sony's support for Multichannel certainly didn't last long.

Last edited:
I paid $50 for a used copy (with slipcover) two or three years ago. I actually spin the Q8 more :ROFLMAO:.

I've often wondered if all those single-layer stereo discs were actually supposed to have multichannel layers, but had them canned at the last minute. Thriller only came out in stereo, yet a 5.1 mix was commissioned and abandoned. This old ad shows Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood as Multichannel/Stereo, yet it came out as stereo-only. Sony's support for Multichannel certainly didn't last long.

The Stevie Ray Vaughn would have been cool, but it's that lack of the Byrds-5th Dimension, multi sacd that
makes me sob.

Is anyone looking for a copy of Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood? I just saw one at a local store and have a chance to pick it up tomorrow. PM if interested...

Just saw today at my local store, used copies of The Nightfly and Crowded House dvda for 29.99. I don't need them but seems like a good price. Talked to the owner to see if they had sold back any other titles but he said only the 2 were sold. Did add to my Depeche Mode by picking up the cd/dvd of Songs Of Faith And Devotion for 9.99.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find a copy of Metallica video, live with the SF symphony. I ordered from Amazon and got a copy from some cat in Germany which was supposed to be all regions, but when arrived was region specific and not playable on my rig.
I went to the Metallica official website and even there it is unavailable. Any help for USA playable would be appreciated, won't pay high price however.

I can't seem to find a copy of Metallica video, live with the SF symphony. I ordered from Amazon and got a copy from some cat in Germany which was supposed to be all regions, but when arrived was region specific and not playable on my rig.
I went to the Metallica official website and even there it is unavailable. Any help for USA playable would be appreciated, won't pay high price however.

DVDFab Passkey Lite (free version) allows you to play any region on a windows (7-10) PC, you just need a player like PowerDVD, etc

no need to rebuy when you already have what's needed.

A friend picked 4 dvd audio at the library yesterday for 50 cents apiece. David Sanborn, Sheryl Crow, Faith Hill and Emmylou Harris. The woman behind the counter said that he should have been there on Saturday because they put out about 100 at the price and one guy bought all but those 4. I would sure like to know who in Omaha got a great deal and were they for personal use or to be resold. I did ask my friend if he would sell me the Emmylou Harris for a dollar so he could double his money. That is one I always saw new for 13.88 and never picked up thinking I would get later until one day when all of the discs were pulled from the store many years ago.

Prices started out medium-high at retail for SACDs and DVD-As I recall. I’d buy them as promos with a clean hole through the barcode. Or used copies priced reasonably. Then somewhere along the way, them just went sky high on the used market.

Some (most) titles have dropped back down to earth, in fact most have settled in at a fair price for a title considered out of print for well over a decade. It’s only once folks learned how to rip them to their music server libraries that they fell in demand, or rather demand did not fall, but they became much more commonplace on the used market.

I tend to pick up good DVD-A titles from that initial couple of years when found anywhere below $25.

I have Machine Head with its $7.99 price tag still on it. And it kills me to think I grabbed SACDs of Tapestry and Blow By Blow in The cheap bins and passed on Toys in the Attic that same shopping trip.

Lotta bargains out there if one can play the waiting game. Got Workingman’s Dead for $17 used not long ago. As I’ve stated previously, I get nicer fidelity with 24/96 and 24/192kHz than I do with DSD playback. Yes SACDs just don’t hit me in the gut the same way as DVD-A does on maybe system.

Back